Application of calgel/bio overlays

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allyballybee

Reaction score
I not really a nail geek (trained, a long, time ago, but wasn't my forte). I have a tech in the salon that does calgel coloured overlays. One of the girls was talking to a girl from another salon and said that they didn't look like calgel coloured overlays because theu weren't thick enough. She said our tech wasn't applying them right.

Could one of you calgel techs explain layers and curing time for this. I want to check she's doing it right. Also is there a big difference in the bio-sculpture for coloured overlays?

I not really a nail geek (trained, a long, time ago, but wasn't my forte). I have a tech in the salon that does calgel coloured overlays. One of the girls was talking to a girl from another salon and said that they didn't look like calgel coloured overlays because theu weren't thick enough. She said our tech wasn't applying them right.

Could one of you calgel techs explain layers and curing time for this. I want to check she's doing it right. Also is there a big difference in the bio-sculpture for coloured overlays?

Hi, first coat should be colour, wetting layer then true layer cure for 3 mins and then repeat, (if using a dark colour i like to put a thin layer of clear on first, my preference only). Shouldn't look thick. :biggrin: hth

Annie

Hi

I have recently trained with bio and I would of thought that a coloured overlay should be nice and thin and natural looking this would also depend on whether you are building an apex which with bio should be thickness of 1mm near the cuticle 3mm near the stress area and then 1mm at the free edge.

Im not sure with calgel

Thanks

Angela

Tonimaxwill has got it spot on, although with some Calgel colours you may need 3 coats to get the depth you want, but they shouldn't look thick at all.
All Calgel colours have a 3 minute curing time, clear is 30 seconds and super clear is 1-2 minutes.

You can always tell when Calgel has been applied to thickly as it will either have a wrinkle like effect or look like it has pin holes in it, when it has been cured.
It could be the way they tech has applied the gel though, by putting far to thicker layers on. You don't need a lot on the brush at all to build the layers up for the colour.

Calgel training dvd covers this, so maybe if she has a copy or i can send you 1 as i have 3 dvds of it lol, you can watch it then observe.

Hope this is of some help

Latest posts

Back