Applying nail polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sharondd

Reaction score
I am on my 5th week of my nail technology course and I can do all the cuticle work and the massage, but the thing I am struggling with is applying nail polish

I dont have many people to practice on and my husband has let me put varnish on him, bless him

Do you have any other ideas of what to practice on

I think its going to take me a while to get the hang off it!

You have your own fingers which i find is great for practising on.
Also when training i brought a really cheap fake hand for under £5 from my local wholesalers. I then used bluetak to stick on false nails and practised painting those. i spent hours and hours doing this.
I still practise painting my right hand, can do my left hand beautifully but still struggle with the right xx

Oh Im so stupid!!!

I never thought about my own fingers

Like the idea of a cheap hand, I seen one for £5 but didnt know how to attach the nails, so blue tack is a brilliant idea

Thanks

For an even cheaper version, stick blu-tak onto the end of an orange stick, then pop your nail tips onto the blu-tak and practice away.

Hope that helps ... it certainly helped me (as well as the fab tutorial deanosnana has given you the link to).

You are not stupid at all. Never say that! Sometimes we are just standing to close to see clearly!
The tutorial by geeg is fab. There is also a fab video somewhere, but i am unable to find it to give you the link, shall keep looking and post when found.
xx

For an even cheaper version, stick blu-tak onto the end of an orange stick, then pop your nail tips onto the blu-tak and practice away.

Hope that helps ... it certainly helped me (as well as the fab tutorial deanosnana has given you the link to).

This is my method!

Also I have started making a slight curve around the nail to represent the wall and cuticle area getting the polish to stay inside the lines. The reason I did this as when I was doing actual nails I found it dificult sometimes avoiding the skin (as all nails are different shapes/sizes ect) but I am developing a bit more control over my brush (if any of that makes sense!)

Thankyou

I have read the polishing thread and its great and also watched the video
It looks sooo easy but I know different

Thanks for all your tips, I shall try them all

Practice practice practice then practice some more

I will get the hang of it one day

Thanks again I appreciate it

Oh Im so stupid!!!

I never thought about my own fingers

Like the idea of a cheap hand, I seen one for £5 but didnt know how to attach the nails, so blue tack is a brilliant idea

Thanks

aw this made me giggle x bless u x

Sent from my GT-S5670 using SalonGeek

When I did my training years ago, we used an effective method of filling a rubber glove with sugar or rice to make a hand, tied the end off with an elastic band so it didn't all fall out, then fixed nail tips to the fingers on the gloves. It worked really well as it gave a perfect hand shape and you could move the fingers about really easily xx

When I did my training years ago, we used an effective method of filling a rubber glove with sugar or rice to make a hand, tied the end off with an elastic band so it didn't all fall out, then fixed nail tips to the fingers on the gloves. It worked really well as it gave a perfect hand shape and you could move the fingers about really easily xx

Thats a very clever method ..... Thank you

What a great idea! xx

I was going to suggest this too! Its a cheap way of doing it. X

Sent from my GT-I9000 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back