Applying Tips and Blending

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Claire83

Reaction score
Hi, first post. I know this is a well asked question, but I have searched the forums and not found an answer to help me out of my dilemma.

I'm currently training with my local college for an NVQ Level 2 and am learning silk/fibreglass extensions. I'm fine with the actual mesh application and making sure the fabric has disappeared, but for me my problem is applying the tip and the blending.

I am having trouble with glueing the tip to the nail. I apply my adhesive - NSI Soft Touch Nail Glue - to the well of the tip. When I try to apply this to the tip I place it at a 45 degree angle to the free edge and pull down until I hear a 'click' as the free edge meets the well. I then sort of push/rock the tip back on to the nail plate. Sometimes this works however I still have air bubbles. Other times I seem to get no air bubbles but the tip just lifts up from the nail plate before it's even stuck even though I'm holding it, waiting for it to adhere. What am I doing wrong?

Also with blending the tips, I use my nail trainer to practice on and I always seem to get a whitish area where I have blended, just above the smile line. It doesn't matter if I use tip blender or manually blend with the file, either way this still appears. The whitish area is the supposedly blended area, but I can't get it to completely disappear, is this the way it's meant to be? Is the nail trainers plastic 'nails' causing me to see this whereas on a natural nail it wouldn't be seen? Admittedly I haven't played around too much on natural nails as I feel if I'm doing it wrong, and I don't want to damage the nail plate on a volunteer.

Sorry for the essay, but I thought I'd try to kill two birds with one stone.

I started my course in September and I feel that as time is moving on I'm getting worse with my extensions!!

Do you etch the nail plate with a file/white block in a downward motion before applying the tip.

Can't suggest anything for the glue though..Have you asked your teacher on the course.

Well, as far as the glue goes, the only suggestion I have is to rock that glue into the nails slowly as this helps push those air bubbles forward. I don't use tips anymore, but I used to use my fingertips in a triangle like form (middle finger under the tip and forefinger and thumb gently squeezing the sides of the tip) as I rock the tip the tip on to the nail from the free edge I try to maintain my pressure at all 3 points to get that glue squished properly. I also, used to use a file to kinda thin out the well of the tip before I glued it on and this helped with the blending process. And if I remember right, you do not dust off the nail before using the resin to coat the whole nail and that white line you talk about is mostly dust. So it should kinda disapear when you apply the resin over the whole nail.
I know, another essay, but hopefully I have helped if even a little.

Yes, I remove the shine from the nails beforehand. I have tried applying a thin layer of resin before applying the tip, and also doing it on the natural nail. I'm completely confused about it all now.

I haven't yet had chance to ask my tutor, but I'm seeing her on Thursday so will try then. It's only becoming apparent as I have an assessment I need to pass and I want to do them as well as possible obviously, but because they are also being done on a friend.

I do dust off the nail after blending and before applying the resin. Is this right? It still doesn't disappear and is there once I have finished applying resin and buffing. At the moment I just have to keep hoping a client will always want a nice dark polish to cover it up! lol

Well, another thought just occured to me. There is the possibility that you are not letting the glue dry enough before filing on it and it is kinda "rolling" up and crystalizing. Are you using a spray glue dryer? And maybe too much glue? This could also explain the tip wanting to lift and the excessive bubbles.

Just a brush on glue, spread evenly in the well. Turn the tip over in my hand and apply to the nail. Possibly a little too much glue then, how much is enough?

What tips are you using some tips are a NIGHTMARE to blend!

Dose the free edge of the nail fit nicely into the well area of the tip? Or is there gaps that are big enough to have bubbles.

What is your filing like? I know it sounds strange but once you learn to control and hold the file blending tips normally stops being an issue, I wish they spent more time teaching how to hold and use a file when I did collage I think looking back I would have got across sooo many hurdles quicker if I had known this earlyer!

You could try changing your adhesive to gel bond or something thicker or faster drying maybe?

Currently I'm practising with cheap natural full wells, but have tried with NSI Elation tips as provided with the course. Running low on the 6's quickly so decided to get cheap tips to practice with.

I would say the free edge fits nicely into the well area, but it's definitely something I will look at again. I always try to file to create a smooth finish and a nice fit.

I didn't think I ever had problems with filing. I use majority of the length of the file, but if you can tell me a good way of filing it would be much appreciated.

I have been thinking about changing my adhesive and will have another go tomorrow with some of these tips. I'm such a perfectionist which I don't know if it is a good or bad thing. I want to create a good looking extension and just get frustrated that it's all going wrong.

Contemplating taking a picture of the nail on the trainer for the whitish area bit lol

Thank you everyong for your time in replying, it's all very much appreciated.

Thank you! Just had a read and I'm holding the file all wrong as described, thumb on top. Have never been taught another way. I will definitely have to try this tomorrow.

Thank you for your help, I just hope the blending will help remove this whitish background I'm having, and I'll try new glue for applying the tips. Fingers crossed, eh?

mizzy_dizzy, had a look at your website and competition nails. They look great hun, no wonder you won!

No problem Hun ,knowledge is power and all of that lol ;)
like I said I wish it had been more of a focus on holing the files right when I was at collage, it really never was a lesson we had, I know some collages do teach it but I think many take it for granted , like "its a nail file how hard could it be?" lol if only they knew huh ?

Its not just time saving ,It is also a health and safety issue as carpal tunnel syndrome dose not look like much fun! :eek:

There is a video that Is brill as it shows you the different ways to use the file, I am not sure if I'm ok to post it hear so I will P.M you the link :)

And thanks for the complement :o

Ok, thank you hun. Will have a watch when I get the link. :D

I have sent it. :D

No problem Hun ,knowledge is power and all of that lol ;)
like I said I wish it had been more of a focus on holing the files right when I was at collage, it really never was a lesson we had, I know some collages do teach it but I think many take it for granted , like "its a nail file how hard could it be?" lol if only they knew huh ?

Its not just time saving ,It is also a health and safety issue as carpal tunnel syndrome dose not look like much fun! :eek:

There is a video that Is brill as it shows you the different ways to use the file, I am not sure if I'm ok to post it hear so I will P.M you the link :)

And thanks for the complement :o
:suprised: Hiya, sorry to barge in but could you pm me the link too if possible as im finding blending a nightmare:grr: and would be delighted if learning to holding the file a different way would help at all ;)

What about trying tips without the well? CND Performance Tips require little to no blending and are an absolute godsend!

I originally trained with NSI and although I eventually got to grips with fitting the tips and blending them, it did take quite some time:(, so I cant symapthise with you.

I would admit that file control is extremely important but why make life difficult? I'm sure you will find that CND Performance Tips will fit the majority if not all of your clients. Try and see. ;)

I was all excited to try the techniques out today, and so far I've not been able to stick one artifical tip to a nail trainer nail! Tell a lie, the only one I managed was a deep c-curve no blending white tip to the little finger. Argh.

I've been looking at all sorts of tutorials and videos on how to do this. Should I apply a layer of resin before applying the tip? Should I apply the glue to the nail and tip well or just one?

I'm still getting air bubbles before the tip falls off in my hand even if I've held if for quite a while with pressure. I'm starting to get really frustrated with this now!

Are you only practicing on a nail trainer? I think a lot of people have trouble with tips on this. How often have you tried on a real finger? There is a big difference and it's easier.

Performance are great tips and so easy to blend but at this stage persevere and learn to do it properly before cutting corners. Ask your teacher for help

Not just practising on the trainer, but as I've been concetrating on sort my blending out I was using it quite a bit.

Just did my mums nails today, and although the blending wasn't perfect and air bubbles were there and the whitish area still came up they were better. I guess it's just a case of practice makes perfect.

Latest posts

Back