Appraisal template or pointers?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jojo@salongeek

Reaction score
Merry Christmas Salon Geek

In a few weeks time I'm due to do a 6 month review/appraisal with one of my girls. Can anyone give me any pointers, do's/dont's. If im wanting to bring up any negatives during which part of the appraisal is best to do so?

It is my first appraisal, if anyone has a template of a good one that they follow that would be great.

Many thanks in advance. JoJo xx

Hi Jojo. I would always start with something positive, pick out something you are really impressed with and go from there. The negatives should be sandwiched between two positives and dealt with constructively. In a good working relationship (and an ideal world), these shouldn't be a surprise and your employee is likely to be aware of her weaknesses.

Set some achievable targets during the meeting and agree a review date of them. Are the negative points a training issue? If so, maybe look into some training for her.

Make sure you have the meeting in private and without interruptions. This is really important as the phone ringing at that crucial point could be disastrous.

If appraisal is going to be an annual thing then it might be worth thinking about self appraisal. It can be useful to see how others view their own performance.

Anyway, Good Luck

Thank you very much for your reply! Training is definitely something I want to do in the new year yes. xx

Hmmm. Personally, I think an annual appraisal model works better for management and senior staff with additional responsibilities, rather than all salon employees, otherwise, there's a danger of it simply becoming a pointless tick box exercise.

Also, if there are any problems to be addressed, you need to deal with them straightaway not leave it to a 'once a year' meeting to tackle them. This is not helpful to either the business or the employee.

My business mantra is only spend time on activities that have deliverable benefits.

In a small busy salon, regular short 1:1 sessions are probably more constructive than once a year formal appraisals. It gives you both a chance to comment on fairly recent activities.

Also, focus on things like reviewing training and forward planning.
Do you actively seek feedback from clients? Can you incorporate this into your meetings?

Make sure that your staff have plenty of notice and an opportunity to raise any concerns at your meetings. They may not feel confident doing this in a general staff meeting.

Thank you for your pointers. This is a 6 month review, we've had little 1:1 meetings before but not as regular as I'd like to do from now on they will a monthly thing. I don't actively ask for feedback from clients no, I would like to introduce this too. How would you recommend the best way to do this?

Thanks JoJo

& I'm going to give a weeks notice for appraisal. Would you say that is enough time for preparation? xx

Latest posts

Back