Apprentice question

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thompson24

Reaction score
hi guys

We have our first apprentice who should be qualifying in the next four weeks at level 2. However she turns 19 in 3 weeks time. She is not confident enough to be able to do any clients as yet as she's still really really quite and this is one thing we are building on. Our questions are

1) if she's not qualified by her 19yh birthday then we would need to pay her £5.30 per hour for the last remaining week.

2) when she signs up for level three does she stat on the same £5.30 and hour or does she start back at £3.87 for the first 12months of level three as level three is then a new course?

Her parents have also stated to her if she's getting the higher rate pay then she needs to reduce her hours as it will effect the parents benefits.

I think that as it is a new apprenticeship with a new contract required then you can pay apprenticeship rate for 1st 12 months as you are under no obligation to keep them on after they have finished level 2 and their contract has come to an end. After yr1 on the new apprenticeship it will go to NMW for her age.

I'm sure you pay the apprenticeship pay for the first 12 months of the level 2 and then after that it goes up and stays up. If it took someone 2 years to qualify, you wouldn't pay the higher pay for a year and then drop it back down.

Not many stylists I know got paid the apprenticeship wage whilst doing there level 3 as they are a qualified haidresser.

It may be the first year of a level 3 course but no the first year of them being an apprentice

Ok, once she reaches 19, she will qualify for NMW because she has already completed one year of an apprenticeship.

Presumably, after completing level 2 in June and before starting level 3 in September, she will be working for you, so I'd assume she then becomes an employee?

https://www.gov.uk/apprenticeships-guide/pay-and-conditions

I'd call ACAS if you're unsure.

Also, suggest she visits her local Citizens Advice for benefits advice. Her parents financial situation shouldn't really impact on her availability for work. But with endless benefit cuts, it's sadly possible.

And also the parents do need to take into con side ration that even though she's getting nmw she's still an apprentice and there is a minimum amount of hours she's got to work a week and I thought it was around 30 hours correct me if I'm wrong there x

@Grace_Hair have u read this thread? Any use for u?

Latest posts

Back