Are nails enough?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne Roberts

Reaction score
Can I just say that I absolutely love being a nail technician and hope one day to become an educator. I came into the industry quite late (40's) but dont want to ever have to change what I do.

One day I would love to run my own salon. I enjoy being self employed but I still work in a salon that someone else owns and has complete control of.

Is being a nail tech gonna create enough business to own my own salon? I have great respect for all areas in our industry but I am not nor do I want to be a beauty therapist or a hairdresser. Can a salon that does solely nails make a living? I have seen other salons who use sunbeds as well but to be honest they scare me a bit!

I have taken a one day course in waxing but absolutely hate doing it and to be honest, I wouldn't pay me to do it, I would go to a beauty therapist who has been much better trained than I feel I was, I didn't learn how to do nails in a day!

I tried working from home and being mobile but both didn't really work coz advertising was expensive and unproductive. I love working in the salon but as I said, it is very small and in an awkward area - not a lot of walk past traffic. Todate, we are the only dedicated salon in the town but there are other techs out there.

I love what I do but am getting really frustrated. Any input would be greatly received.

Hi there

Obviously you can offer manicures and pedicures, but spray tanning is quite easy to grasp and could be a great add-on service for you!

Also, think about offering special pamper evenings in your salon, with mini treatments - hand massage, mini mani's and pedi's.

Hiya

I have had a similar experience to you recently. I own a little salon in a village and I have just got married and am wanting to start a family. This means, I am going to need money.

I only do nails in my salon as I only have a small room, so I can't fit a couch or anything in it. I have found that treatments alone probably wouldn't generate enough money for me, however, providing really good add-ons does. I can have a client come to me for a treatment and leave having spent well over £50. I have had clients spend over £100 on a treatment and add ons.

What I mean is, sell things...... In my salon, I sell Spa Ritual nail polishes and gift sets, Orly mini nail polishes, Gena Spa Caviar, Nurture Oil, Swarovski Crystal Files and all of the Nailtiques Products (I also do the manicure, but some people tend just to have a Spa Ritual manicure and just buy the Nailtiques products!) I got asked this week by one of my regular ladies, if I will be selling the bath salts I use in my Spa Ritual Manicures so that she can have a bath that smells as good as her manicures.

I struggled to sell at first because I didn't have the confidence. I started to use the Paul Mckenna books and CDs to build my confidence. And now, I can sell without even trying!!

Hope this helps

Natalie

xx

Hi,

From my professional opinion as being a salon owner for many years, nails CAN do it for you... my first love and my love still is nails..... BUT clients do ask for more they all ( in my experience) want a one stop shop.. so i would say to make money i have a few ideas....:

One: Nails and Tans

Two: Nails Tans and Beauty

Tree: Nails Tans Beauty and Sunbeds

They all go hand in hand and if you get a new client for one you may gain a new client for more....HTH...

Latest posts

Back