Are people/clients getting ruder? Discuss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verve Designs

TAFNO Extensionize
Reaction score
I have my own opinions on this- especially after a couple of emails I've received today, and some recent experiences from the salon we were running.

I'll keep this short and sweet...in your experience, are clients getting ruder/more demanding?

Or....am I just turning into a grumpy old sod?

I think I'm lucky in that I rarely have any issues with rude clients. However I have a home salon and always leave time to ensure my clients aren't waiting.
I had one who was difficult and I eventually just said I couldn't do her nails anymore

All my clients are pretty polite. Perhaps it's because I work from home and it's only me they see. There are no other staff.
I do have however:
Batty
Mad as a hatter
Incessant talkers
Loopy Loo
Nosey...

As long as they pay and book again I'm happy [emoji4]

Turning into a grumpy old sod maybe ? [emoji12]

In all seriousness though, I have found the higher your prices the more delightful your clients become :)

Every time I raise my prices I loss my whinger clients and gain more clients who appreciate quality :)

Any time I've been tempted to do an offer when it's quieter than normal I've always regretted it as those clients are a nightmare, always out for freebies and discounts , arriving when they feel like it and expecting you to see to them straight away even though they've missed their appointment slot.

But I could be just lucky , I look forward to hearing others replies :)

I'm lucky too as mine are all lovely. I have had a couple of unpleasant ones over the years but sadly got too busy to fit them in again, ever [emoji23]!

Ok ok- it's me!.....

Joking aside, I do think no-shows and lateness have been more of an issue in the last couple of years, as have a raising in "expectations".

Now, that's not a bad thing- and I like to think we meet expectations 99.9% of the time.

Don't get me wrong the vast majority of clients are wonderful, but I've certainly noticed an increased in the "time-short", frankly frazzled, bad-tempered client!

The majority of my clients to are nice and polite but I do have some demanders. Yesterday was a grumpy day for me. Im fully booked for this Friday and Saturday as it's a holiday weekend here. A few of those demanders call to make appointments, obviously I don't have and let them know. I get "oh so you're actually busy now", "I can be there at 2, just squeeze me in, bye!", "oh you need a receptionist, ive been calling you all day" she's called once! Sorry but I'm not busy enough for a receptionist, if you want to pay for her salary then I'll hire one otherwise leave a freaking message. I get back to ALL of them. :/ rant over *breath*

just had an email from a bloke i don't know (it's half eight in the evening) - can he have a massage tomorrow morning?
er...no...i'm busy
:mad:
phone tomorrow and i might give you an appointment next week after i've decided if you are genuine or not...

Do you know what the more I think about it I think one of the reasons I don't have many rude clients is because I don't tolerate it.

If a new client does not show up to an appointment and does not call their number is blocked from my phone and I don't rebook them , I do make exceptions for long term clients.

If a client is rude to me, I have no problem telling them I am not able to fulfil their wishes and think they should seek the services of another salon.

I am of course very fortunate that I am able to to this, I know starting out this just isn't possible

I have a few demanding clients who think they are my one and only client - they phone last min and beg me to squeeze them in. The really rude are no shows then call to book again,! Without apologising - yip grin and bare it - it's the hair and beauty business and all you do is smile and take the money for the great job you've done ;)

You might be onto something actually....and I'm not talking about getting older! I've noticed that some new customers (at least for me), come in demanding we do their hair like they've seen online. I have a barbershop, so most of our cuts are for shorter hair. These guys come in, show me a picture of a haircut (that btw is filtered, added effects and all) and demands that we do that. Even though we do everything to make the person's hair "perfect", they seem to be not-so-thrilled because we don't include photo filter effects.

Having been in the industry for many years, I agree with Noreen high prices seem to encourage lovely clients who give respect. However, over the years the 'tricky' clients who come across as rude and abrupt can turn out to be the most loyal - probably because the average salon cannot cope with them? One of my gems, is rude to everyone. If ever she has to cancel, brings me gifts for not sacking her!

With regard to the new clients who don't arrive for their appointment, I seem to have stopped this recently by not arranging appointments on Facebook. There was a very high percentage of these bookings not turning up and not even responding to a respectful message.
Now I clearly state on my salon Facebook page that you have to phone to book in.
Zero no shows in the last two months since I started implementing this system.
[emoji3]

I don't tolerate rude/disrespectful clients and am incredibly booked up when the occasion calls for it ;)

However I do think (some) people are getting ruder generally, anything seems acceptable if you say "no offence" after it (er ...wrong), a general lack of manners and just being polite and by NO means do I mean the younger generation here

**gets off soapbox

Without a doubt, folk are becoming harder to please, with a sad lack of manners!
Home workers have their regulars', so will be able to 'screen' out the rude....but those of us 'out there', are having to run the gauntlet! :p
Definitely the worst is the bargain hunter, expecting you to feel 'privileged' they are even offering you a tenner for a CBD :eek:

I think several things are happening..

Generally in life we are heading towards an instant / 24hr society. Look at online, where next day delivery, or even next hour deliver is becoming the norm. There are 24 hr banking /help lines and we even expect to be able to book a holiday at 8pm on a Sunday.

I don't work weekends and I finish at 7pm on weekdays but I still get the odd enquiry form someone who wants to see me on a Sunday morning or 8pm a night. Or they are very put out when I can't see them that day at 6pm..as that's when they want and appointment.

I think it's all about educating your clients about how you work.

I have a handful of clients that i tolerate. I think people's exceptions are becoming really unrealistic. I see the main problem coming from online really, clients are exposed to so many looks.. you get the odd keyboard warrior- i have one client who insists on emailing me back and forth-just so i can see her annoying signature attachment, her tone comes across as condescending she'll then rearranging appointments. its a bit of a chore and she is a bit of a moaner but when she actually turns up shes very nice and sarcastic but her initial exchanges make me think shes a doorknob..

In the beauty/hairdressing industry we are getting all of the beauty bloggers that haven't got the foggiest clue, uploading images via Instagram with every filter you could imagine and asking you to create a miracle. You try to manage their expectations but i noticed that with these odd few that it can stem from your most loyal clients, thinking you're either making them miss out on something or you haven't implemented it. I've seen this year a few go elsewhere and then come back with tail between their legs because the realize the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

I personally don't think money, quality, time, professionalism factors into how people behave- we all have come across someone that we cant win over no matter how lovely, or amazing you're reputation may be. I treat people how I want to be treated with respect, it's just the odd unfortunate few that you rather not deal with and you tend to over analyse why you cant win over a grumpy so and so---its because you have standards and are passionate about your work...others simply just grin and bear it to the bank! xoxo

With regard to the new clients who don't arrive for their appointment, I seem to have stopped this recently by not arranging appointments on Facebook. There was a very high percentage of these bookings not turning up and not even responding to a respectful message.
Now I clearly state on my salon Facebook page that you have to phone to book in.
Zero no shows in the last two months since I started implementing this system.
[emoji3]

I think you've helped me to crack the trend of my no shows and might be implementing this. Last weekend I had two no shows and both were from Facebook. I gave them both a polite call and they both put the phone down on me. Wouldn't dream of doing it to anyone myself!

I do think people are getting ruder. I have clients who see that I have a Facebook page and seem to think this gives them 24/7 access to you and message you all times of night. When i don't reply at 11pm at night I get a string of question marks!

Do you know what the more I think about it I think one of the reasons I don't have many rude clients is because I don't tolerate it.

If a new client does not show up to an appointment and does not call their number is blocked from my phone and I don't rebook them , I do make exceptions for long term clients.

If a client is rude to me, I have no problem telling them I am not able to fulfil their wishes and think they should seek the services of another salon.

I am of course very fortunate that I am able to to this, I know starting out this just isn't possible
This is me.

I don't tolerate rudeness to me or my staff. I've been quite upfront in the past with rude clients and they either come back with a respectful head or they don't come back.

We had a new client in yesterday. She had been a little bit snotty on the phone so I was a little wary. She got our usual warm welcome, cuppa etc (having a pedi). My senior therapist was doing her treatment and they were chatting away. I was working in the computer and joining in occasionally. In a lull in the conversation, she said "Well I'll be honest with you ladies. I've only recently moved here and this is the third salon I've had a pedicure in and it's the only one I'll come back to. Both of the others were filthy with chipped furniture and dust and marks everywhere. There was even a therapist in a stained and ripped uniform".

Is this what clients are putting up with? Is it just crap clients or are there also clients who are constantly being let down by poor service, treatments and environment?

I agree that Facebook really isn't the best way to book clients. You still get the odd no show through any other booking system but generally the more professionally you book clients in, the more well behaved they are.

We don't charge a booking fee but if a client cancels with little or no notice I'm accommodating. If they do it again I tell them that we are running a business and if they can't keep appointments they should use a drop in salon. After many years in this industry, we have a great reputation and, like Noreen, I'm able to refuse to treat.

I will say it again - my hairdressers toilet is minging. I go there because I like him but he thinks it's funny that the toilet is horrible. I don't. One day, I'll cancel and go elsewhere. He will wonder why. I probably won't tell him (a year of telling him to get a card machine has fallen on deaf ears).

I often think clients and maybe Carl's (Verves) clients are at the end of their tether with shoddy work, poor customer service and below par products/treatments. Show them how great you are, never diss the opposition and you may have a customer for life.

Or just sack them off [emoji23]

Vic x

OMG just reread this. Just to clarify I've heard nothing but good about Carl from Verve. What I meant was by the time they get to use him and his company, they're hacked off with how previous companies have treated them and are bad clients. I wouldn't for one minute criticise Carl [emoji85]

Last edited:
I agree that some clients are obviously getting very poor treatments at some salons (not talking about NSS here).
A high street salon set up about a year ago five miles away from me and I am getting their unhappy clients on a steady basis.

For example, this week I had a lady in for a pedicure who had been to this other salon. She had been given a gift voucher for a luxury pedicure but when she went they didn't soak her feet, cut her long nails or any sign of hot oil or paraffin wax.
She was really angry about it especially as she has a large amount of hard skin to deal with.
What can you do?!

Latest posts

Back