Are people/clients getting ruder? Discuss

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is me.

I don't tolerate rudeness to me or my staff. I've been quite upfront in the past with rude clients and they either come back with a respectful head or they don't come back.

We had a new client in yesterday. She had been a little bit snotty on the phone so I was a little wary. She got our usual warm welcome, cuppa etc (having a pedi). My senior therapist was doing her treatment and they were chatting away. I was working in the computer and joining in occasionally. In a lull in the conversation, she said "Well I'll be honest with you ladies. I've only recently moved here and this is the third salon I've had a pedicure in and it's the only one I'll come back to. Both of the others were filthy with chipped furniture and dust and marks everywhere. There was even a therapist in a stained and ripped uniform".

Is this what clients are putting up with? Is it just crap clients or are there also clients who are constantly being let down by poor service, treatments and environment?

I agree that Facebook really isn't the best way to book clients. You still get the odd no show through any other booking system but generally the more professionally you book clients in, the more well behaved they are.

We don't charge a booking fee but if a client cancels with little or no notice I'm accommodating. If they do it again I tell them that we are running a business and if they can't keep appointments they should use a drop in salon. After many years in this industry, we have a great reputation and, like Noreen, I'm able to refuse to treat.

I will say it again - my hairdressers toilet is minging. I go there because I like him but he thinks it's funny that the toilet is horrible. I don't. One day, I'll cancel and go elsewhere. He will wonder why. I probably won't tell him (a year of telling him to get a card machine has fallen on deaf ears).

I often think clients and maybe Carl's (Verves) clients are at the end of their tether with shoddy work, poor customer service and below par products/treatments. Show them how great you are, never diss the opposition and you may have a customer for life.

Or just sack them off [emoji23]

Vic x

OMG just reread this. Just to clarify I've heard nothing but good about Carl from Verve. What I meant was by the time they get to use him and his company, they're hacked off with how previous companies have treated them and are bad clients. I wouldn't for one minute criticise Carl [emoji85]

Blimey- I read the first part of this and panicked! What have I done wrong! ;)

Get this one....
It's a busy Saturday afternoon, (yesterday), and my 2.00 gent doesn't show....
He does have previous, was once 1 HOUR LATE!!!!
Anyway, my 2.30 then arrives 5 minutes early, so we start our consultation. :)

My Gent then walks in, big smiley face, "sorry I'm a early", and goes to take a seat. :confused:
I explain....."Sorry John, you're not early, your tooo late...You should of been here at 2.00."
Client's face then contorts......"Oh no, YOU'RE wrong, I've the card to prove it."
Get's card out, which to my eyes CLEARLY say's 2.00....
He is now cross, and saying, "without my glasses on, It says 2.40".......!!!!!!
"I don't do that appointment time, it's either on the hour, or half hour...."
I'm still trying to be nice, smiley face.....:)
Well, I know I'm right, I'll just have to take my business elsewhere, and storms out...:mad:
WITHOUT HIS GLASSES........Like that's somehow my fault!!!!!

I had 3 'no shows' yesterday.......Rude!

Blimey- I read the first part of this and panicked! What have I done wrong! ;)
I know. I'm so sorry. I re-read and realised how it sounded. Quick fix x

Get this one....

My Gent then walks in, big smiley face, "sorry I'm a early", and goes to take a seat. :confused:
I explain....."Sorry John, you're not early, your tooo late...You should of been here at 2.00."
Client's face then contorts......"Oh no, YOU'RE wrong, I've the card to prove it."
Well, I know I'm right, I'll just have to take my business elsewhere, and storms out...:mad:

Do you have any kind of text reminder? Sounds like that's no great loss I have to say!!!

We had a lady pull her appointment card out when we told her we had her in for half an hour later. A quick glance and it looked as if she was right and we were wrong. She decided to wait the half hour. I apologised profusely and offered her a complimentary eye treatment at her next appointment. She had her facial and when she came out I asked to look again. The appointment she thought was this weeks had been for the previous week so we were right and she was wrong. She still wanted her complimentary eye treatment though. Like wtf. You cock up and it costs us money [emoji23]. However, she is the sweetest lady you could meet so I gave her the complete treatment x

I had a five year break and have definitely seen a difference since returning!

I do think facebook makes things harder. I am mobile and have people messaging me to book appointments, I always ask for their phone number so I can call, discuss what they want etc. 90% wont answer and insist on messaging, I now refuse to go down the route of rather than a 5 minute phone call spending over twice as long batting messages backwards and forwards! Plus being mobile I'm not going to show up at your home if I haven't at least spoken to you!

I agree with clients valuing you and your work if you charge a premium price, the offer and discount Clients are never the loyal repeat Clients.

The rise of NSS salons where you can walk in off the street and be in and out for half the price haven't helped. I did a brides nails on Thursday night, took me two weeks to get her to answer the phone! Her Mother and sister where there peering over me the whole time saying how the "Ethnic places are so much faster, no wonder you have to charge so much more"

Have a new Client wanting to book in at the beginning of November, it's a school day for me so can't get to her before 4pm "no that's no good I need you here earlier" I didn't give her that time for the fun of it but she's still not having it. Alarm bells are already going off so I've added £15 onto what it would normally be, the awkward client surcharge might make it worthwhile and she doesn't like the price she can go and be rude and demanding to someone else. She is also quite out of my area which makes me think she can't get anyone local!

Get this one....

Oh no, we had a no show first thing and had turned away a walk in blow dry that could have been done at that time and then my stylists next client had headlice so couldn't be serviced! [emoji33] the no show would have got a reminder text the day before and also chose not to pick up her phone when we called to see if she was on her way so she is now blacklisted! Besides that, everyone else was lovely!

Do you have any kind of text reminder? Sounds like that's no great loss I have to say!!!

We had a lady pull her appointment card out when we told her we had her in for half an hour later. A quick glance and it looked as if she was right and we were wrong. She decided to wait the half hour. I apologised profusely and offered her a complimentary eye treatment at her next appointment. She had her facial and when she came out I asked to look again. The appointment she thought was this weeks had been for the previous week so we were right and she was wrong. She still wanted her complimentary eye treatment though. Like wtf. You cock up and it costs us money [emoji23]. However, she is the sweetest lady you could meet so I gave her the complete treatment x

She still wanted her complimentary treatment!! [emoji85] what sort of logic do these people have? Sounds like a treasure though x

I have noticed in general a lot of clients are getting ruder but think this maybe that we are noticing it more so have become less tollerant as can afford to weed out and not service the rude awkward ones as we are lot busier and feel it's not fair on regular clients who are lovely to drop everything and go above and beyond for the rudies

Do you know what the more I think about it I think one of the reasons I don't have many rude clients is because I don't tolerate it.

If a new client does not show up to an appointment and does not call their number is blocked from my phone and I don't rebook them , I do make exceptions for long term clients.

If a client is rude to me, I have no problem telling them I am not able to fulfil their wishes and think they should seek the services of another salon.

I am of course very fortunate that I am able to to this, I know starting out this just isn't possible

Totally agree and I nip it in the bud strait away... probably due to the advise I received on here! I had a client who tried to make a 'provisional appointment' on a Saturday which I laughed and asked if she had been drinking!

It's interesting that the scally wags flock in when we have an offer on though! X

I have noticed in general a lot of clients are getting ruder but think this maybe that we are noticing it more so have become less tollerant as can afford to weed out and not service the rude awkward ones as we are lot busier and feel it's not fair on regular clients who are lovely to drop everything and go above and beyond for the rudies

I can't say I agree with the 'weeding out' the rude, as we're A LOT BUSIER!!!!......o_Oo_O
If I did that, I'd be shutting up shop and going home early EVERY NIGHT!
Seriously, some client's have become 'you tube' expert's....
Telling US what we should be mixing / doing / charging......:oops:
We need to take back control. :cool:

I had this 1 lady who contacted me in the summer who phoned me wanting nail enhancements & she was quite rude on the phone when I told her how much I charge (believe me it's not extortionate!) but ironically she still wanted me to call her back to make an appointment for her. I didn't bother, which isn't like me, but I got this vibe from her & I just thought "I don't need this!" Luckily all my ladies (& gents) are lovely & very respectful. I have my favourites who I really look forward to seeing too, as their appointments are more like a catch up with friends!

I've no time for rudeness from customers, suppliers or general life and have stopped working with companies in the past because of their rudeness.

It's not how I roll, I'm decent and nice with others and expect that back.

So to answer the question, no.

I think my customers are fabulous, really lovely, I feel grateful to have them and their kindness, generosity and thoughtfulness is amazing.

I find if you look after your customers, treat them well, you get it back.

How do you deal with late comers? I. Had my first today, I called her after 10 mins to see where she was she said she was near.. after 20 mins I sent a message to say she needs to arrive before in the next 10 mins or she's too late and then I text her saying she is too late and now she's booked in for Friday.. I wish I didn't book her in but I didn't know to deal with it!

How do you deal with late comers? I. Had my first today, I called her after 10 mins to see where she was she said she was near.. after 20 mins I sent a message to say she needs to arrive before in the next 10 mins or she's too late and then I text her saying she is too late and now she's booked in for Friday.. I wish I didn't book her in but I didn't know to deal with it!

I would have dealt with it the same way.

All you can do is text or call to confirm 24 hours before the appointment bur that doesn't always work either.

I just keep an eye out. If they are late and it's a one off and they've let me know, that's fine. If they don't show at all I will let them off once if they phone to apologise. If they seem not bothered by wasting my time then I'm too busy to rebook them x

I would have dealt with it the same way.

All you can do is text or call to confirm 24 hours before the appointment bur that doesn't always work either.

I just keep an eye out. If they are late and it's a one off and they've let me know, that's fine. If they don't show at all I will let them off once if they phone to apologise. If they seem not bothered by wasting my time then I'm too busy to rebook them x
Ok thank you! I do normally confirm but as she booked it Monday I didn't bother, I hope it doesn't happen again I could've fit someone else in

I have to agree with the majority here. Sadly cheap prices attract cheap clients.

I did a Groupon type offer 3 yrs ago. Not to make any money because you don't. It was to get my name out there. A cheaper form of advertising. 98% of those colour clients who walked in the door were awful beyond belief.

The offer was a full head colour. Wash cut and finish. They paid £35 for short hair £45 long...(over half price) I only got half of that cost. The offer company gets the rest.... These clients swanned in making demand, speaking to me like crap, informing me one side is longer than the other - yes! I haven't cut that side yet... Constantly on their phones, 4 of them I asked to leave before I'd finished the consultation. like I should be grateful they're in my chair.... No... my error on the above. They were full of cocky attitude when they came in for a skin test. never again!

I won't tolerate rudeness, racist remarks or bad attitude.

And for the record lol. I've heard only good about Carl at Verve too lol.

Latest posts

Back