Are there too many nail techs with allergies to nail products???

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandy12b

Reaction score
hi, this thread can go in either forums but i have chosen the skin as this is the problem....i do not know whether fellow nail techs have noticed but there are a lot of threads and replies from nail techs that are having severe reactions to nail products, it appears to be a growing problem:eek: so, does anyone in the know, of chemicals, know whether there are any ongoing studies in making chemicals in monomers etc safer, or changing the composition ???:cry: so us nail techs can work without the misery of sore red itchy swollen hands, eyes and arms etc??

sandy x

Simple, if you are allergic, give it up. If you were allergic to peanuts/seafood, it would be the same.
It's a harsh reality.
No point whinging about having a peanut allergy if you continue to eat peanuts.
As my dad would say "you wouldn't wander all over town with a stone in your shoe"

The percentage of techs who suffer allergies is very small when you look at the industry as a whole... if it were that bad then there wouldn't be so many nail technians.
If techs worked smarter in the first place then a lot of the allergies and/or sensitivities would be drastically reduced.
Then ofcourse, you have the peeps who are allergic, full stop!

Companies can't afford to shirk their responsibilites by not testing their products for allergies etc, if too many techs were allergic then the companies would struggle to sell their products.

Firstly there are a lot of threads where people assume that they have skin problems because of the products they use. But until you have had a proper skin allergy test then it shouldn't be assumed that this is the cause. My daughter suffers from very bad eczema. She's had skin tests which just came back multi sensitive, so in moderation everything is fine, but chuck together all her triggers and whoomf it's off again.

Also i think that when people work they only assume that the product is a problem in its uncured state. However when we file we get covered in dust, and this can cause as much problem as anything else. I learned this right at the start of my career when working in a nail salon and seeing another tech get it due to dust. I am competely anal about keeping my work area clear of dust.

I used to have a problem with runny eyes but when I installed adequate ventilation and extraction, all problems disappeared. The problems were of my making as I wasnt following my manufacturers recommendations.

I have never had any skin problems.

In all honesty I believe that the majority of skin problems etc. are coming from the increased ethos of see one, do one, teach one. With the increase in one day "learn to be a nail tech and earn shed loads of money" courses, how can you possibly learn all about the chemical risks and how to avoid them.

There is no point defending the reality of allergies to products/materials/foodstuffs. ACCEPT THEM. It's not pulling apart a product, burning an effigy of a fingernail/product ......etc. It's a fact with certain people and the only way to avoid it, is to discontinue use, as you would anything else you were allergic to.

There is no point defending the reality of allergies. ACCEPT THEM. It's not pulling apart a product, burning an effigy of a fingernail/product ......etc. It's a fact with certain people and the only way to avoid it, is to discontinue use, as you would anything else you were allergic to.

But then surely prevention is better than avoidance - if you work safely then you shouldnt get the allergy in the first place.

But then surely prevention is better than avoidance - if you work safely then you shouldnt get the allergy in the first place.

Hmm I think if you have a sensitive skin then you are going to be more prone to allergies and sensitivities no matter how well you work. BUT if you can minimise the risk to incredibly low then you stand less chance of getting contact dermatitus, because once you have it there ain't no going back.

But then surely prevention is better than avoidance - if you work safely then you shouldn't get the allergy in the first place.
This is verging on the ridiculous....... if you are allergic , you are allergic...... full stop.
Please stop thinking fingernail products, think of peanut allergies and the like, also the fact they can cause death......AVOIDANCE IS THE ONLY WAY.....
One day someone is gonna sue the butt of a manufacturer, when they go to court they are gonna ask the manufacturer to describe in detail what they term as (well ventilated area).

As all responsible drug companies say "any adverse reactions ... DISCONTINUE USE.

It is blatantly irresponsible to ask someone to persevere when there are contra indications.

Allergies can be avoided if you are instructed 'how to'.

Once you have an allergy .... you will always have it and frankly, best to get away from what is causing it.

The simple facts are, that nail products are meant for nails and not for repeated contact with your skin. Dust is not meant to be breathed into your lungs (no kind of dust).

Manufacturers with integrity teach how to avoid skin contact and all recommend EXTRACTION ventilation at the source of production.

How many of the nail technicians on this site actually have a good extraction ventilation system installed. ?? HMM? Many do, but most don't and most don't, because they would rather spend money on whatever they spend it on ( like hundreds on nail art products and coloured powders that the majority of their clients never even want) RATHER than spend it on creating a healthy environment in which to work!!

Not having extraction ventilation installed is like not wearing your seat belt when you drive (and a law had to be passed to make people do THAT).

If more are allergic or becoming sensitive to nail products, then it is because they are ignoring the rules, or they do not know the rules, or they don't care about the rules ... it is entirely in their own hands to avoid overexposure to products that are not meant to go on the skin and to eliminate dust from the working area.

There is a difference between an allergy and over exposure. an allergy is all but instant, over exposure happens over time when your skin becomes sensitised to a product. However the end result is the same, that you will always react from hereon in. So over exposure can be all but avoided, allergies can't.

But I agree if you can't work with something then why flog a dead horse?

2. HAZARD IDENTIFICATION
Effects of Exposure:​
[FONT=CenturyGothic,Bold]
INGESTION: If product is swallowed, may cause nausea, vomiting and/or diarrhea and central nervous system depression.
EYES: Moderately irritating to the eyes. Symptoms of overexposure may include redness, itching, irritation and watering.
SKIN: May be irritating to skin.[FONT=CenturyGothic,Bold]
The product can cause allergic skin reactions (e.g., rashes, welts, dermatitis) in some
sensitive individuals.

INHALATION: Vapors of this product may be moderately irritating to the nose, throat and other tissues of the respiratory system.
Symptoms of overexposure can include coughing, wheezing, nasal congestion, and difficulty breathing. Inhalation of
concentrated vapors can cause central nervous system depression (e.g., drowsiness, dizziness, headaches, nausea).
Odor may give some warning of exposure, but odor fatigue may occur.
[/FONT]

If you care to check your MSDS this is what is said of nearly every product, even seemingly innocent ones (some we are supposed to use on the skin) we recommend and use on ourselves daily.

NOT JUST LIQUID OR DUST, i'm not into scare tactics, but i'm also not into denial or ignorance.

You guys carry on about precautions and disclaimers in your salons /work enviroment as if it's a throwaway comment.

FIRST AID MEASURES:
SKIN: If irritation occurs & product is on the skin, rinse thoroughly with lukewarm water, followed by a thorough washing of
the affected area with plenty of soap and water. Do not wear contaminated clothing until after it has been properly
cleaned. If irritation, redness or swelling persists, consult a physician immediately.

I find it very odd there is no mention of "discontinue use", there could be liability there.
[/FONT]
Theres more to a product than a pretty label (all of them).​
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

This is verging on the ridiculous....... if you are allergic , you are allergic...... full stop.
Please stop thinking fingernail products, think of peanut allergies and the like, also the fact they can cause death......AVOIDANCE IS THE ONLY WAY.....
One day someone is gonna sue the butt of a manufacturer, when they go to court they are gonna ask the manufacturer to describe in detail what they term as (well ventilated area).

As all responsible drug companies say "any adverse reactions ... DISCONTINUE USE.

It is blatantly irresponsible to ask someone to persevere when there are contra indications.

I am obviously missing something here:

I understood that an allergy (to nail products which is what this thread is about) develops over time through over exposure. It is not something which happens after first use- full stop!

I dont remember saying that someone should carry on if there are contra indications. If my understanding of an allergy to nail products is correct then it is better to take steps to prevent over exposure.

i had an allergy to a well named product of L&P but that didn't stop me from using it. All i done was read the ingredients of the products and then rang round some other suppliers of L&P and volia i have found one that i have no reaction to. All i am saying you may have an allergy to one product be don't assume all products are made out of the same ingredients.

How many of the nail technicians on this site actually have a good extraction ventilation system installed. ?? HMM? Many do, but most don't and most don't, because they would rather spend money on whatever they spend it on

Some technicians are mobile... so this is nigh on impossible to carry around a ventilation system.

I am someone who cannot use L&P. I wasn't a year ago, but yes, over time I have become sensitive to it. I change my paper towels between prep, application and filing. I do not let the monomer or powder touch my skin. I was taught all about overexposure and have been very careful to avoid it. I have put it down to filing and finishing the product and the dust collecting in the palm on my hand (which is where i get the initial burning, swelling etc).

Like Nailzoo has said... if you are allergic / overexposed.... then don't deny it... it's happened. You will HAVE to change the product you work with and be extremely careful.

I do think that this job should be salon based with a well ventilated nail station taking vapour and dust away immediately. This is the ideal situation.

you can have an allergy to any product or any ingredient in a product (some do, some don't) immediately, upon first contact. Only one way to find out if you are allergic to bee stings (and you don't need more than one to find out).Allergies are often unexplained, can be chemical/ food.... whatever and the comparison has to be drawn between the 2, as both are as common as each other, only usually when you are allergic to a foodstuff nobody tries to still feed it to you or talk you into continuously trying it, with warnings of course (as the case seems like in here), they merely acknowledge and respect your intolerance to whatever the substance, as you would if a baby was lactose intolerant. (no questions asked) or being the cause of a peanut anaphylaxis just because you wanted them to try just one more peanut to be sure.

Analogies have to be drawn to make some people realise and respect how simple and innocent allergies are.

:eek: :eek: :eek: MY GOD!!!I DID NOT EXPECT A REACTION LIKE THIS:irked: OH WELL I SUPPOSE A GOOD DEBATE IS GOOD FOR YOU:lol: I HAVE ONLY BEING DOING NAILS SINCE MAY THIS YEAR WHEN I STARTED MY TRAINING WITH ESSENTIAL NAILS, DID ABOUT TOW HOURS A DAY AND QUALIFIED END OF JULY, BEGAN DOING PAYING CUSTOMERS ABOUT 3 A WEEK. SO I DO NOT THINK IT IS OVER EXPOSURE, WHERE I AM CONCERNED, BUT I THINK MY MAIN PROBLEM WAS THAT MY POWDER TO LIQUID RATIO WAS WRONG, IT WAS TOO WET AND WAS WAITING FOR AGES FOR IT TO DRY, AND THAT IS A MAJOR AREA FOR OVER EXPOSURE TO UNCURED PRODUCTS....BUT IT IS NOT EASY TO SAY JUST GIVE IT UP AS NAIL TECHS ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT WHAT THEY DO, AND SO IS VERY VERY HARD:cry: FORTUNATELY, FOR ME UV GELS ARE OKAY, SO I AM DOING EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK SO I DO NOT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE....VENTILATION ( I HAVE AN AIR PURIFIER/IONISER, IS THIS THE SAME???:irked: NOT SURE. ALSO, AS I HAVE THE PROBLEM ISOLATED TO MY HANDS AS A CONTACT DERMATIS, AND DO NOT GET OTHER SYMPTOMS (MAYBE MINOR NAUSEA) I DO NOT HAVE AN ALLERGY YET JUST AN IRRITATION???:cry: ALLERGIES TO PEANUTS IS USUALLY A KILLER IF YOU EAT THEM, SO I THINK THE COMPARISON IS UNFAIR.

SANDY X

:eek: :eek: :eek: MY GOD!!!I DID NOT EXPECT A REACTION LIKE THIS:irked: OH WELL I SUPPOSE A GOOD DEBATE IS GOOD FOR YOU:lol: I HAVE ONLY BEING DOING NAILS SINCE MAY THIS YEAR WHEN I STARTED MY TRAINING WITH ESSENTIAL NAILS, DID ABOUT TOW HOURS A DAY AND QUALIFIED END OF JULY, BEGAN DOING PAYING CUSTOMERS ABOUT 3 A WEEK. SO I DO NOT THINK IT IS OVER EXPOSURE, WHERE I AM CONCERNED, BUT I THINK MY MAIN PROBLEM WAS THAT MY POWDER TO LIQUID RATIO WAS WRONG, IT WAS TOO WET AND WAS WAITING FOR AGES FOR IT TO DRY, AND THAT IS A MAJOR AREA FOR OVER EXPOSURE TO UNCURED PRODUCTS....BUT IT IS NOT EASY TO SAY JUST GIVE IT UP AS NAIL TECHS ARE PASSIONATE ABOUT WHAT THEY DO, AND SO IS VERY VERY HARD:cry: FORTUNATELY, FOR ME UV GELS ARE OKAY, SO I AM DOING EVERYTHING BY THE BOOK SO I DO NOT HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE....VENTILATION ( I HAVE AN AIR PURIFIER/IONISER, IS THIS THE SAME???:irked: NOT SURE. ALSO, AS I HAVE THE PROBLEM ISOLATED TO MY HANDS AS A CONTACT DERMATIS, AND DO NOT GET OTHER SYMPTOMS (MAYBE MINOR NAUSEA) I DO NOT HAVE AN ALLERGY YET JUST AN IRRITATION???:cry: ALLERGIES TO PEANUTS IS USUALLY A KILLER IF YOU EAT THEM, SO I THINK THE COMPARISON IS UNFAIR.

SANDY X

You are overexposed ... you came away from using it didn't you? You came back to it and again, you have a bad reaction! You cannot use the product you are using again.
No an air purifier/ironiser is not enough. Really, the best (and only imo) way is to sit at a nail station with a dust extractor and vapour extractor built in. End of. I don't think working from our dinning tables is any good for our health at all.
Also with your wet mix ratio.... it was probably more hazodous for your client than you!!! unless it was you that you were applying it too!

Some technicians are mobile... so this is nigh on impossible to carry around a ventilation system.

I do think that this job should be salon based with a well ventilated nail station taking vapour and dust away immediately. This is the ideal situation.

I've been mobile for nearly 2 years now and have no problems..... There was a thread a while ago about ventilation and I asked Geeg about extraction being mobile and she said there was less need due to mobile technicians not being in the same place all day. I use a clean towel for each client and change couch roll after filing to manage dust. Also I only have monomer out during application and have a small metal bin to minimise vapours.

At the end of the day I get fresh air and a change of position after every client, how many salon tech's get that? Please don't judge mobile tech's as being less prepared than our salon counterparts (at least not all of us!):wink2:

I've been mobile for nearly 2 years now and have no problems..... There was a thread a while ago about ventilation and I asked Geeg about extraction being mobile and she said there was less need due to mobile technicians not being in the same place all day. I use a clean towel for each client and change couch roll after filing to manage dust. Also I only have monomer out during application and have a small metal bin to minimise vapours.

At the end of the day I get fresh air and a change of position after every client, how many salon tech's get that? Please don't judge mobile tech's as being less prepared than our salon counterparts (at least not all of us!):wink2:

Hun, I AM a mobile technician!!
It is very true about all of the above.... I am saying that the IDEAL way to work to reduce vapours and dust and ensure that no over exposure will happen is to be at a nail desk with extractors.
I also follow all the precautions you do too....

Latest posts

Back