Are we walking adverts for our businesses?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chrysalis

Reaction score
Hi all
Just got me thinking from another thread, do we advertise our business by how we look, behave?
Do our clients judge our services by thier perceptions of ourselves?
And can this make or break our business?
Does it even matter?
Is it something we need to consider?

Just thinking fodder here would we judge a fitness instructor who smoked like a chimney? Or was morbidly obese?
A dentist with rotten black teeth?
A hairdresser with snapped over processed hair?
A nail tech with badly bitten nails?
The list is endless.

I know drug reps have to have a certain image as do bank managers. Now as I do aesthetics how would my clients feel if I was wrinkled and spotty?

Anyone have any thoughts? Is this the intangible concept we overlook?

To be honest I think weather people admit it or not everyone judges someone professionally by how they look. I think you are right in many ways. If a lady had really over processed hair within an inch of it's life would you let her touch your hair? Absolutely not. I mean even tattoo artists (they can't tattoo themselves) but generally you can get a feel for how good they are judging by there own. Obviously this is total assumption.

I think your absolutely spot on appearance is everything

It's not about being pretty or ugly but being well turned out, making the most of yourself,

Should we judge no but do we yes

I think in our industry it's all about appearance

I remember I had teeth whitening done and the nurse doing it apologised for having wonky yellow teeth! I hadn't noticed until she said.
She must have felt very self conscious she even explained her teeth were crowned so couldn't be lasered.

I might have to stand in front of a mirror and have a look at how I'm advertising my business!!!
Will start with a tiny lippy mirror one eye shut and work my way down!!

I remember I had teeth whitening done and the nurse doing it apologised for having wonky yellow teeth! I hadn't noticed until she said.
She must have felt very self conscious she even explained her teeth were crowned so couldn't be lasered.

I might have to stand in front of a mirror and have a look at how I'm advertising my business!!!
Will start with a tiny lippy mirror one eye shut and work my way down!!

Yip!
Just had a peek!
Need to go and work in a pie shop!

I definitely think in this industry it's vital to make sure we take pride in our appearance. I make sure my make up and hair is done, and always wear my tunic/trousers/work shoes even though in the heat wave we've had recently I'd have been more comfortable in a vest top and flip flops!! I also ensure that my nails look good, as I know if I was a client I'd wonder how I could make their nails look good if I couldn't fix my own. I choose understated though, so elegant/simple hair/nails/makeup so my tastes don't put off my clients if you know what I mean xxx

I definitely think in this industry it's vital to make sure we take pride in our appearance. I make sure my make up and hair is done, and always wear my tunic/trousers/work shoes even though in the heat wave we've had recently I'd have been more comfortable in a vest top and flip flops!! I also ensure that my nails look good, as I know if I was a client I'd wonder how I could make their nails look good if I couldn't fix my own. I choose understated though, so elegant/simple hair/nails/makeup so my tastes don't put off my clients if you know what I mean xxx

Could not agree more with this!
xoxo

You know when other geeks are looking for ideas to help thier failing business would it be worth them checking themselves out?

I know often I'm so busy or so tired I don't have time inclination to have stuff done to myself, sometimes I really have to make an effort xx

I don't always bother doing gel nails on myself but I did a set 2 weeks ago on myself and have been getting loads of comments on them good advertisement I think

Image in this industry as well as many others is very important...and yes we shouldnt judge on appearance but we do and the reason we do is that is our first impression. When i walk into a hairdressers i dont know them, i dont know where they have worked, how long for, what qualifications they have...they can tell me they have a degree but do they!!?? so i have to go on instint of character and the way that they look which in a hairdressers i would look at their hair!

My approach to my business and myself (which as far as im concerned is my business!) is that i make sure i am clean and tidy and presentable. I stopped waering tunics as o wasnt comfy in them so i now wear black smart dresses or black t shirt and knee length shorts/culottes. I have nice sandals that draw clients attention to my feet and of course my toes nails so i ALWAYS make sure they are done even if i have to sit up late at night to do them. I dont over do the make up but just enough so that i look like i have made an effort! and i always do my nails, something different everytime!

I think we are, usually you can identify someone who works in the same industry, they usually always look perfect, it makes me wonder how i must look when i stroll to clients houses after i finished my day job :sad:

I agree with what everyone has said about being professional etc. but i do think that you can be too perfect and that can be intimidating for clients. I think a warm friendly smile with understated makeup, hair tidy and in good condition and smart clean clothes is what most clients expect. I am a larger lady and am always pleased when i go on training to find that therapists come in all shapes and sizes and as a client i would feel much more comfortable having a treatment from one of these lovely therapists than from someone who looked like perfection! May be showing my insecurities here but i am sure i am not the only one x

I would say people don't have too be 'perfect' but a hairdresser should have nice hair and a nail technician should have nice nails and generally well presented with a clean uniform. This actually made me giggle because it reminded me of a haircut I had years and years ago I was about 19 and booked an appointment at a new salon, nice looking salon all modern etc and the stylist walked out in a school shirt with her dinner down the front and her greasy bobbed hair tied up in two pig tails, she then said I haven't long passed and I have no idea what I'm doing and laughed :eek: I didn't know what too say so let her trim my hair and cried when I got back too work. So my first impression of that stylist actually turned out too be quite true :(

Hi all
Just got me thinking from another thread, do we advertise our business by how we look, behave?
Do our clients judge our services by thier perceptions of ourselves?
And can this make or break our business?
Does it even matter?
Is it something we need to consider?

Just thinking fodder here would we judge a fitness instructor who smoked like a chimney? Or was morbidly obese?
A dentist with rotten black teeth?
A hairdresser with snapped over processed hair?
A nail tech with badly bitten nails?
The list is endless.

I know drug reps have to have a certain image as do bank managers. Now as I do aesthetics how would my clients feel if I was wrinkled and spotty?

Anyone have any thoughts? Is this the intangible concept we overlook?

absolutely! Everyone has first impressions and if your first impression of your hairdresser is 'she has horrid hair' then you automatically think what is she going to do to my hair if hers looks like that!. Same for nails and beauty, I think. I always make sure I have immaculate nails (at the beginning of the day, by the end theyre ruined) and makeup and my hair neatly tied back. I think if you act professionaly people think that about you.

absolutely! Everyone has first impressions and if your first impression of your hairdresser is 'she has horrid hair' then you automatically think what is she going to do to my hair if hers looks like that!. Same for nails and beauty, I think. I always make sure I have immaculate nails (at the beginning of the day, by the end theyre ruined) and makeup and my hair neatly tied back. I think if you act professionaly people think that about you.

Same mine are usually ruined after doing everyone else's haha, somehow I end up with extra blobs of acrylic over them or shellac lol

Same mine are usually ruined after doing everyone else's haha, somehow I end up with extra blobs of acrylic over them or shellac lol

whats annoying is it just happens on my right hand, my left hand seems to stay fine! which is ok i guess as thats the hand I put nailart on so at least thats safe!

Yes, absolutely we are adverts for our business.

I totally understand I need to be a walking advert and I do try my best to be tanned but not all the time. Tanning business. Just venturing into the world of nails. I can only wear shellac 4 days of the week so will have to apply and remove that frequently. Does anybody know if that would be ok for my nails? They aren't the strongest. I have tried putting on varnish for the four days and ends up chipped. I really want people to comment on my nails x

I totally understand I need to be a walking advert and I do try my best to be tanned but not all the time. Tanning business. Just venturing into the world of nails. I can only wear shellac 4 days of the week so will have to apply and remove that frequently. Does anybody know if that would be ok for my nails? They aren't the strongest. I have tried putting on varnish for the four days and ends up chipped. I really want people to comment on my nails x

Sounds like you're more of a Vinylux girl! When I was teaching I wasn't allowed to wear nail polish or enhancements because I taught Beauty as well as nails. So in the summer holidays I would put my enhancements on, half term holidays I'd do shellac and then after its launch in April, for weekends I'd wear Vinylux because it doesnt chip and with regular polish I'm lucky if I get a day!! Give it a try

And no Shellac shouldn't cause any problems as long as you're removing it properly :) xoxo

Sounds like you're more of a Vinylux girl! When I was teaching I wasn't allowed to wear nail polish or enhancements because I taught Beauty as well as nails. So in the summer holidays I would put my enhancements on, half term holidays I'd do shellac and then after its launch in April, for weekends I'd wear Vinylux because it doesnt chip and with regular polish I'm lucky if I get a day!! Give it a try

And no Shellac shouldn't cause any problems as long as you're removing it properly :) xoxo

Thank you. I thought vinylux maybe the answer. I was just a bit reluctant spending even more money just at the moment as I have just bought the large shellac package. Best hide them from other half as don't think he will understand that I had to buy more nail polish in the colours I already have!! Lol. Good to know tho I can remove shellac regularly though if needed. :) x

Latest posts

Back