Are YOU a bad client?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VIVA.GLAM

Reaction score
I am a nightmare for having my hair cut. I go to Lincolnshire to get it done because the woman who does it is the ONLY person I feel I can trust to cut it how I want. I also cut most of my own hair because I'm that paranoid but I'm then left with a bit of a mullet because I can't to the bottom! As horrible as it sounds, none of the people I work with cut it how I want. They don't cut how I cut they are very basic and blunt. I'm even too scared to go to another salon in case they don't cut it how I want. I guess it's because I know how I would do it and I have had some TERRIBLE hair cuts in the past.

I was just wondering, as hairdressers, how are you at having your hair done? And who do you get to do yours? Am I the only one who snips at my own hair??

If im honest I rarely get my hair cut.. (VERY naughty i know!!)
I live in my hair extensions now... and still there not cut/blended how id ideally like them done....
Do you not talk the stylists in ur salon how you would like ur hair cut?
If I ever cut hairdressers hair, I always want them to tell me EXACTLY how they want me to cut their hair.... Even if I dont cut a certain way, i'd like them to be happy with how I do it.
xox

Yeah they wouldn't really appreciate me saying "cut it like this, cut it like that" lol and I have subtly tried. When my hair was longer I wasn't too fussed about them doing it but I've gone for a shorter style and I've tried explaining in detail EXACTLY how I want it but I just get a horrible blunt cut in the back. I slice, none of them slice or razor or anything. They're idea of chipping is cutting odd shapes into bits, if you get me? I have fairly fine(ish) hair and if it's cut blunt it sits in steps. I end up growing it longer because I can't get it how I want :( It's really frustrating not being able to do it myself...or am I just really picky and hard to please lol

I am a nightmare for having my hair cut. I go to Lincolnshire to get it done because the woman who does it is the ONLY person I feel I can trust to cut it how I want. I also cut most of my own hair because I'm that paranoid but I'm then left with a bit of a mullet because I can't to the bottom! As horrible as it sounds, none of the people I work with cut it how I want. They don't cut how I cut they are very basic and blunt. I'm even too scared to go to another salon in case they don't cut it how I want. I guess it's because I know how I would do it and I have had some TERRIBLE hair cuts in the past.

I was just wondering, as hairdressers, how are you at having your hair done? And who do you get to do yours? Am I the only one who snips at my own hair??

Haha you sound just like me having it cut!!!!!

Craig Keane
www.hculture.co.uk

Yeah they wouldn't really appreciate me saying "cut it like this, cut it like that" lol and I have subtly tried. When my hair was longer I wasn't too fussed about them doing it but I've gone for a shorter style and I've tried explaining in detail EXACTLY how I want it but I just get a horrible blunt cut in the back. I slice, none of them slice or razor or anything. They're idea of chipping is cutting odd shapes into bits, if you get me? I have fairly fine(ish) hair and if it's cut blunt it sits in steps. I end up growing it longer because I can't get it how I want :( It's really frustrating not being able to do it myself...or am I just really picky and hard to please lol

Oh i totally get what ur saying viva glam....
i'm guessing in ur salon each stylist thinks they know it all, I use to work in one like that..
I get petrified cutting other hairdressers hair, so I appriciate them telling me how they like it cut and using which techniques, Only you know your hair better then anyone else, not the stylist!
You should tell them that they rnt doing it right... and they shouldnt take it as an insult, just constructive critisism... because i'd want anyone to tell me if they were unhappy.. its all about learning in out trade, thats what I love about it!!

LOL oh yes i know what that feels like i wish i could take my head off and cut it myself i have been know to snip a wee bit off here and there so i dont have to go through a week of moaning every morning that i hate my hair

Yeah exactly. If you have done something wrong and nobody tells you how are you to know? I don't mind being told I'm wrong, or what needs improving, as long as I'm told in the right way if you know what I mean!
I think a lot of the problem is seeing a part of the haircut that isn't right and knowing how to fix it. At the moment I've got this HORRIBLE step at the bottom and I can see she has just pulled it down and cut across. I've tried to fix it myself but I stopped because I couldn't see and didn't want to make it worse!! Maybe I ought to get a SG to cut my hair!

LOL oh yes i know what that feels like i wish i could take my head off and cut it myself i have been know to snip a wee bit off here and there so i dont have to go through a week of moaning every morning that i hate my hair

EXACTLY! haha!

I'm EXACTLY the same. I haven't found anyone who can cut my hair how I want it so I do it myself all the time now. It's ok, but I end up with the same flipping style all the time because I can't do the back properly and end up snipping at it every day for about a week until it looks the same as it has for years!
Sometimes I stake out a salon to see the work they do walking out of the door and if I like it I'll try them out. But, if I tell them I'm a hairdresser I've found that they either panic and get it all wrong or they have the 'better than you' attitude and I still don't end up with what I want! I just need someone confident enough who will do exactly what I tell them, too much to ask?!?!?

I am not a hairdresser and dont pretend to know anything about hair but this thread has made me laugh because i know MY hair.

years ago (in the 80s) i went to a hairdressers for a perm and told the stylist (but they weren't called that then lol) how i needed it to be done - ie smallest rods, left on for ages etc............. Bless him, he did what i told him and i loved it. he did my hair for ages.

he then moved on to a new salon and i followed him there, but he became quite nervous about doing my hair. when i asked him why he replied that what he was doing "wasn't right" and if his new boss saw what he was doing he might get in trouble.

He said that when he first started doing my hair he was still training, and technically should not have done what i asked, but being a newbie just did what the client wanted. Professionally wrong, but at end of day, i was delighted with outcome. sometimes maybe hairdressers should listen to clients knowledge of their own hair and judge accordingly.

Couple of years ago i decided to have spiral perm. I told my long term hairdresser, VERY professional and VERY experienced in award-winning salon the same thing i once told my novice stylist as mentioned above. She listened, but did the "correct" procedure. When i went back for a redo a week or so later she stated "i should have listened to you the first time as you have had this hair for a long time and know how it reacts!"

Now, when i have clients in for treatments who explain i might need to leave their eyebrow/lash tints on for longer than usual (or their opinions on other treatments), I dont disregard their "unprofessional" opinion, i use my judgement and knowledge and their history to my advantage.

We all learn through knowledge and experience but maybe sometimes the client really does know best and if you are that client maybe you should DEMAND what you want!

Last edited:
I haven't had my hair done by anyone else for years!! I wreck my neck and shoulders trying to do the back but generally i'm satisfied when I finish!!My hair is fine as well and I think unless you magically find someone who 'understands' how to make my fine limp hair appear fuller they end up cutting it wrong and too short etc. and I am a great believer that the customer generally knows their hair better than I do and although with some you can radically change a style and they love it, others just want to feel comfortable with the way they see themselves in the mirror every morning.
I even asked my old college tutor to do my hair once thinking - well at least he knows that I know what i'm talking about - nah! spent ages fiddling about hardly cutting anything off and charged me double!!

I cut my own.
I have cut my own for the last 24 years.

Easier for me because I clipper the back and sides and sometimes use scissors on the top.

I once had my hair cut in a salon around 4 years ago and I hated it. I had to keep apologising to the hairdresser telling him that I'm really paranoid because I've always done my own since I qualified. The cut looked great after. Its the fact that I wasn't in control that made me feel uneasy.

:biggrin:

hi, i chop away at my own hair too! i'm mobile so i dont have any work mates to cut it for me so i go to a local salon & the owner has been doing my hair for years now, she does it just how i like it but she is now off on maternity leave & i havnt had my hair cut properly in ages!!!! My hair is long but i like lots of choppy layers and she does a fab job so i wont let anyone else do it incase they mess it up!!! I thought it might just be me who's so fussy, i'm glad you lot are fussy too......it makes me feel better!!! haha xxx

It does not bother me in the slightest. I let anyone cut my hair! All my girls are good cutters, so I trust them all.
I am just a nightmare because I hate sitting still. By the time they have slapped the colour on, I'm bugging them to wash it off, I am so impatient. They are strict with me!

It does not bother me in the slightest. I let anyone cut my hair! All my girls are good cutters, so I trust them all.
I am just a nightmare because I hate sitting still. By the time they have slapped the colour on, I'm bugging them to wash it off, I am so impatient. They are strict with me!

I'm jealous! ;)

I'm VERY naughty!
I go very very long between cuts.
BUT THEN... the last few haven't been so great, so I spent time 'growing out' the butcher job because I just couldn't bear to cut a single centimeter more off the 'length'.

I find the biggest problem with MY hair is this: MOST hairdressers haven't a clue how to cut it. They are NOT accustomed to my hair length (which reaches past the middle of my back, almost to my waist).

I tell them over and over: square across the bottom/back (not rounded, not V), long layers, NO razor, NO thinning, NO thinning-shears.. just old fashioned sectioning, layering from the bottom going up, using the bottom as the guide line going upwards.

And yet... they screw up my square and round me or 'v' me AND/OR the layers aren't done right, and I end up with 2 'sections'. One that ends below my ears as if they plopped a bowl on my head, and the other past the middle of my back because they TRY to layer as they would shoulder length hair. YOU CAN'T.

EXCEPT this last trim.. which just needs a smidgeon more done around the face.
It's one of the hairdressers where I now work. A young 23yr old feller. He heard me ranting at the Manager about the last time I'd been butchered (because you could tell I was OVERDUE for a trim and she asked, and how if I can't touch my length when I reach around behind me, I BAWL like a baby :rolleyes: and that I do like to use rollers occasionally, so it can't be a straggly-razor MESS! I MUST have sectioning! Anyway... he heard me blathering on, explaining how they screwed up.
Then offered to do it for me. I looked him straight in the face and said "don't make me cry at work" HAHAHAHAHAH

He consulted me nearly every step of the way hahahaha And now... it's pretty good. Someone that actually LISTENED!! LOL
When he was combing it... he mumbled "oh my gosh, I can see why you can't put rollers in it"... he found the 'mess' the other idiot had done.
The other bozo had the great idea of 'attacking' (because that's EXACTLY what he did, no warning, went against what I said and suddenly whipped out a razor and 'debulked under the first few layers while I sat there telling him to stop) and saying to me "it's to give you lift at the top" and I said " YOU IDIOT!! It's too long, it WON'T! It's too heavy!! It'll go flat anyway because of the rest of the length"

SO I still have to grow out some of the mess 'underneath' but at least I don't have a bowl on my head anymore!!

OH and at the shampoo sink... LOL If the water isn't as hot as they can take it, and the scrubbing doesn't take ALL their muscle... yeah.. not a great shampoo LMFAO I like it HOT AND HARD.. (I DO mean my shampoo hahaha)

I'm in training and i would let the girls in my class cut my hair recently had it done by my tutor as a demo cut for a variation of a long graduation.I've had so many bad cuts where the stylist didn't relise exactly how curly my hair can go (Which i SO hate) and didn't sit right
x

I'm VERY naughty!
I go very very long between cuts.
BUT THEN... the last few haven't been so great, so I spent time 'growing out' the butcher job because I just couldn't bear to cut a single centimeter more off the 'length'.

I find the biggest problem with MY hair is this: MOST hairdressers haven't a clue how to cut it. They are NOT accustomed to my hair length (which reaches past the middle of my back, almost to my waist).

I tell them over and over: square across the bottom/back (not rounded, not V), long layers, NO razor, NO thinning, NO thinning-shears.. just old fashioned sectioning, layering from the bottom going up, using the bottom as the guide line going upwards.

And yet... they screw up my square and round me or 'v' me AND/OR the layers aren't done right, and I end up with 2 'sections'. One that ends below my ears as if they plopped a bowl on my head, and the other past the middle of my back because they TRY to layer as they would shoulder length hair. YOU CAN'T.

EXCEPT this last trim.. which just needs a smidgeon more done around the face.
It's one of the hairdressers where I now work. A young 23yr old feller. He heard me ranting at the Manager about the last time I'd been butchered (because you could tell I was OVERDUE for a trim and she asked, and how if I can't touch my length when I reach around behind me, I BAWL like a baby :rolleyes: and that I do like to use rollers occasionally, so it can't be a straggly-razor MESS! I MUST have sectioning! Anyway... he heard me blathering on, explaining how they screwed up.
Then offered to do it for me. I looked him straight in the face and said "don't make me cry at work" HAHAHAHAHAH

He consulted me nearly every step of the way hahahaha And now... it's pretty good. Someone that actually LISTENED!! LOL
When he was combing it... he mumbled "oh my gosh, I can see why you can't put rollers in it"... he found the 'mess' the other idiot had done.
The other bozo had the great idea of 'attacking' (because that's EXACTLY what he did, no warning, went against what I said and suddenly whipped out a razor and 'debulked under the first few layers while I sat there telling him to stop) and saying to me "it's to give you lift at the top" and I said " YOU IDIOT!! It's too long, it WON'T! It's too heavy!! It'll go flat anyway because of the rest of the length"

SO I still have to grow out some of the mess 'underneath' but at least I don't have a bowl on my head anymore!!

OH and at the shampoo sink... LOL If the water isn't as hot as they can take it, and the scrubbing doesn't take ALL their muscle... yeah.. not a great shampoo LMFAO I like it HOT AND HARD.. (I DO mean my shampoo hahaha)

My god. You could write your own book at this rate.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
xx

My god. You could write your own book at this rate.

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
xx

LMFAO
Sorry! I can type 90 words per minute... so I lose track sometimes when I'm typing LOL I don't realize how long my post is until afterwards HEHEHEHE

I must admit, I cannot stand if it is not shampooed right. If every inch of my head is not touch and scrubbed, it doesn't feel clean. I can stand it being tickled, a good hard scrub with lots of hot water! :)

Latest posts

Back