Are your clients spending less on retail ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombini

Reaction score
With all the doom and gloom over the credit crunch and people cutting back on spending has this affected your retail sales in anyway ?

I haven't noticed any difference in my skin or nail products but make up sales have definetly taken a bashing although this has not been a big issue for me as I mainly order the make up in on request and don't keep much in stock due to not having enough space.

When I ordered all my Christmas gift sets I made sure that none were priced over £20 as I didn't want to risk people not buying them.

I've just ordered one of each of the gift boxes and am hoping that I sell some retail at my open evening on thursday.

Used to spend all month long but now its only around pay day. Your not on your own hun!
With all the doom and gloom over the credit crunch and people cutting back on spending has this affected your retail sales in anyway ?

I haven't noticed any difference in my skin or nail products but make up sales have definetly taken a bashing although this has not been a big issue for me as I mainly order the make up in on request and don't keep much in stock due to not having enough space.

When I ordered all my Christmas gift sets I made sure that none were priced over £20 as I didn't want to risk people not buying them.

I seem to be quite lucky. My salon only opened 3 months agio but 1 have sold nearly £2000 worth of products with £1400 of that being my make up range Bare Escentuals. I m sure things will pick up soon although i do think clients are cutting back on how much they are spending on presents for xmas.

I seem to be quite lucky. My salon only opened 3 months agio but 1 have sold nearly £2000 worth of products with £1400 of that being my make up range Bare Escentuals. I m sure things will pick up soon although i do think clients are cutting back on how much they are spending on presents for xmas.

Blimey!
Congratulations to you - you must be an uber salesman!
My sales haven't gone down at all. Yet!
One thing I always do is write up what I've used on my client, and then I go through it with them. I say something along the lines of "I recommend the following products for home care, but if you buy only one thing it should be xxx" and this seems to do the trick.

I'm selling as many products as always, in fact today I've sold £200 of products! I think it's important to be positive in front of your clients & to not be embarassed when telling them the price.

One of my clients said something interesting today, she went past a place that said "credit crunch sale" & the first thing that went into her head wasn't "let's go & grab a bargain" but rather "oh, if there is a credit crunch perhaps I shouldn't spend anything", i.e. it encouraged her to not spend money!

Again Martin, absolutely loving your response. Everyone has different spending power; I think the best attitude to have is one that doesn't put any limitations on the clients spending ability or desires - assume they can afford it; that way when you're presenting the product you can just focus on its great features and benefits.

I say - sell, sell, sell - as it is really the only way to make any real money in the beauty business...

All the best

One of my clients said something interesting today, she went past a place that said "credit crunch sale" & the first thing that went into her head wasn't "let's go & grab a bargain" but rather "oh, if there is a credit crunch perhaps I shouldn't spend anything", i.e. it encouraged her to not spend money!

You know I had a similar experience the other day in liverpool town center,
I saw a big "SALE, GET YOUR CREDIT CRUNCH BARGAINS HERE"

Straight away I thought...well if they need to advertise like that, they mustn't be selling anything decent ! It looked......desperate !!!

Then straight away I thought "oooooo I'll remember that when my own business takes off"

And I for one LOVE a bargain if I find one, but this sign said to me...we are feeling the pinch too..please come and spend your money with us..we need it !!!!

Latest posts

Back