Are your MSDS up to date?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dream Nails

Reaction score
I'm having a bit of a productive morning just going through stock and paperwork.

After checking through my MSDS file I was shocked that there were a couple missing (hubby's job is in H&S so smack on the wrist)

With all these new exciting products that we have especially the shellac colours it can be easily overlooked but shouldn't be.

So I urge you all check you have MSDS for every product you use. They give such important information on not only the ingredient but first aid, exposure risks and safe disposal. Keep them with you if you are mobile.

I'm a CND girl so I know I get mine from CND or S2, other companies should have their own. Call them and find out.
Insurance companies will want you to have them too.

We work so hard especially this time of year keep yourself, clients and business safe :)

What are you still doing reading this, get checking!!

Vicki x

Just updated all ours. Shock to see some companies didn't even know what they were when ringing! X

All up to date as we've had a H&S inspection recently :)

All up to date here too but a very good reminder!

I keep all mine on my iPad, but I must check through them sometime, I know there are some missing.

My day job is in H&S so I know I have to keep all this up to date. I'm in the process of collecting them all before my home salon opens.

I'm not sure about stuff like make up though in my kit. I guess all the pro brands should be able to provide these, but not sure about the few drugstore products I have in there though.

Great thread :wink2:
So am I right in saying all MSDS sheets should be printed off and stored in the salon??

I have some on my home PC for reference and know I can look up CND.com for instant access to them in the salon. The number of MSDS sheets I would need to print would be huge! :eek:
I am very anti printing you see.;)
Is it ok stored on the PC???

Great thread :wink2:
So am I right in saying all MSDS sheets should be printed off and stored in the salon??

I have some on my home PC for reference and know I can look up CND.com for instant access to them in the salon. The number of MSDS sheets I would need to print would be huge! :eek:
I am very anti printing you see.;)
Is it ok stored on the PC???

I have all of mine stored in a folder on my laptop too... I thought this was sufficient (I also have them backed up on a memory stick). Do we need to have them on paper, in the salon?

xxx

Who says we have to have them printed on paper and kept in the salon????

I can't see why an "e" version on iPad, iPhone, laptop etc. kept in the salon is not enough. They are reference documents. In the even to needing one, I'm pretty sure I could find it just as quickly (if not quicker) on my iPad than someone looking through a huge paper folder.

If health and safety inspectors pay a surprise visit you have to produce all these documents. We recently had a visit and I told him I had them all on pen drive but that wasn't to his satisfaction so I had to print out way over 40 separate documents all between 3 and 5 pages long. Just as well I can claim the paper and Ink on my expenses lol x

If health and safety inspectors pay a surprise visit you have to produce all these documents. We recently had a visit and I told him I had them all on pen drive but that wasn't to his satisfaction so I had to print out way over 40 separate documents all between 3 and 5 pages long. Just as well I can claim the paper and Ink on my expenses lol x

That's just crazy isn't it? The criteria should be that the information is readily at hand and available. It shouldn't matter in what format it is kept.

My day job is in H&S so I know I have to keep all this up to date. I'm in the process of collecting them all before my home salon opens.

I'm not sure about stuff like make up though in my kit. I guess all the pro brands should be able to provide these, but not sure about the few drugstore products I have in there though.

I'm sure you only need MSDS sheets for hazardous chemicals so I don't think make up would come underneath that... realistically you could a whole lipstick and nothing would happen to you ;)

I need to update mine just looking at this thread , something to put on the to do list , great reminder for everyone , thank you

In the eyes of the HSE, you need a hard copy of the MSDS so that should anything happen, the MSDS can quickly & easily be obtained & handed to any Paramedic or given to a medical professional straight away without them having to print anything off or turn anything on.

You only need the MSDS for substances which are hazardous to health, however it's good practice to keep 1 should it have 1 just in case as it'll tell you where it's made, how to store it, any ecological issues & ingredients, what to do upon exposure etc.

I used to work in H&S, began thinking it was a load of crap, most of the time it was thanks to our nanny state & blame/claim culture, however I really enjoyed it !!

Hi how can I have my msds sheets on my iPad?
Does anyone can help?
Thank you

Latest posts

Back