Aren't friends the best clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When u have built up a regular clientelle. And you are always busy friends will stop messing you about. My friends know they need to book in advance and they know they will pay, in return i do knock a bit off but they usually come when it suits me not them, my friends actually winge that they can never get an appointment! And my poor mum book a month in advance! I used to say I enjoy doing your nails but this is my job. I have a mortgage and children, its a bonus that I enjoy it and if you have a nice day at work you still get paid! We all work for one reason only and that's money!

I must be one of the lucky ones - I have two close friends that come to me to get their nails done regularly and a few other services.

What I said to them is that right now I can't afford to give them cheaper rates (not that they even asked but I suppose I feel guilty as if I worked in a shop I'd get them staff discount for example) so instead what I do is "extras" (not THOSE type - haha)

So I might... Tint their eyebrows... One time I got the heated mitts put and a bit of moisturiser on... The odd eyebrow wax for free. Generally the services that offer minimal product usage and are more about time used (I have a home salon so time isn't an issue)

It helps relief the guilt but they've never questioned my prices. I do feel bad when they've had a lot done (say for their holiday) and I'm like "£70 please"

x

My mum is the only person who I would give free treatments to. I did start to give my sister free treatments, but then she wanted a free tan and different set of nails a week.
Since I've told her she can have 1 free tan and 1 free set of nails a month she has cut down on taking the mickey.
My sister in law wanted me to do a free nail party for her daughter but then thought it was ok to charge me to make her brother (my fiancée) 30th's birthday cake. I informed her I would do both my nieces nails for free as a present but any of there friends would have to pay as I would be using a lot of different products and had to travel over to her, she then decided against it and cancelled the nail party all together.
Makes me mad how she thinks she can charge me for cakes but thinks I'll keep doing her daughters nails for free. Think it's safe to say I no longer do there nails.

With regards to friends 1 has a sister who is fully trained in all aspects of beauty and goes to get. Another friend does come to me now and again then other times has NSS nails. My other best friend has always said oh I'll book In with you, never has yet always has her nails done by other people. There loss not mine xx

My friends are great. Not one of them have expected me to do their nails for free and it was them who said, like another geek mentioned, what do they owe me. When I said nothing to my closest friend, I was told not to be so ridiculous and she gave me the full amount and comes every 2 weeks and is a great client. She doesn't moan, she doesn't take advantage, she's just like a normal client.

True friends won't take advantage of you. True friends will know that this is your business, this is your job and doing freebies is detrimental to that. Don't ever offer your services for free. Your products and time are worth money and just because they're your friend doesn't excuse that.

What do they do as a job? If one of them worked in a bank for example, would you go in and say to give you £20 as it's her job, the money is there so she should give it to you? Or if they work in MacDonalds, do you get a free meal every time you go in? No. Just because you work for yourself doesn't mean your job is any different to theirs.

I've never had an issue with friends either - they all insist on paying normal rate. And they recommend other clients too.

I've personally never had problems with friends or family paying, but I have had problems with them being annoying. For me they just seem to be taking advantage of time etc. Cancelling last minute, and the most annoying- I checked with a family member to do infills (previously not done by me) on the state of the nails and asked questions as they lived quite abit away from me. and they said theres only a tiny gap that needs filling and are very good condition. I checked if any where lifted or any missing or anything-nope. So I get there at 9pm and they are wrecked! And wonky! She said before, there 3 weeks growth, but that soon changed to 7 weeks when she saw my reaction. Due to it being family and assuring me of the state of them beforehand I didn't bring my acetone! And she had major lifting and dirt under the lifting so I had to come back another night as it takes an hour each way. Also she thought she could have her nails done, cook dinner and eat within 30 minutes intime before her bedtime. Total pain, she acted as though it was my fault lol.

Similar problem hun! I'm currently tr
aining and relying on friends and family to practise on so I can pass my course. When I first said what my plans were I had no shortage of volunteers, but now its crunch time no one seems bothered and those I do get constantly cancel. I'm only charging the price of materials. I can see it resulting in me offering sets of nails for free otherwise I'll never get to a standard good enough to pass. Pees me right off!

I find it hard as I'm just starting out...do many people have said 'oooh you can practise on me if it's free!'
I have recently put my status on fb as offering full set of Brisa enhancements for 1/2 price do £20 (as my business isn't properly set up and I'd like to practise a little more) and only 1 person has taken me up on it?!!? I'm gutted- if people won't pay £20 then how will I get clients to pay £40. They are really nice nails and I'm proud of my CND trainin!

i think this can be applied to just about everything in life

....when people get things for nothing ..they generally don't appreciate it.

100% true. Wise words!

I've been opened just a few months and I'm having exactly the same issues....love my friends to bits but found it hard to settle on an appropriate discount! I now do all of their gel polishes and spray tans for £12 and to be fair they are all thrilled and are then a great advert for me as they book regularly. I also make sure I book them in at quieter times of day to justify the discount....HOWEVER....I have agreed with them that I am happy to do this over the summer while I am quite busy but that the prices will go up as soon as/if I get quieter in my first winter of being open. I think that seems fair and they are all in agreement and happy to go along with that. They are all good friends so I'm pretty confident that they won't let me down.

Latest posts

Back