Aren't friends the best clients?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LaurenSparkles

Reaction score
I'm a single young lady who lives in my own 3 bedroom mortgaged house. In January I used my savings to convert my spare room to a beauty room, offering sienna spray tans, lashes, shellac and Nsi l&p all which has been paid for by me.

I work 8am-6pm in customer services mon-thurs and Saturday's. I only have 3 regular clients (only been open about a month or two)
Every two weeks I shellac them, every week I tan them and every 4 weeks I do there toes. My other best friend who came on numerous occasions when I was doing nail
Exts for free for my portfolio and never has any money came out on sat and had NSS nails on! Wtf?!?

And then my other best friend missed her appointment because she had to see her mum and wait...she had shellac fingers & toes.

So when I say I can't do your tan
Or nails because I can't afford to buy products il pat them on the back as a thank you.

Goodbye dropping everything for them or doing there nails at 9pm
When they have got in and showered from Zumba. Time wasters.

Rant over lol xx

Learn your lesson my lovely.

Charge what you are worth.

Never give your skills away for free or heavily discount your prices.

And in truth, you shouldn't discount your prices at all (10% max).

They didn't think twice about parting with their money in another salon, so don't think twice about telling them it is full price from now on.

Keep this up and you will be out of business.

Get smart, get tough.

Big hugs xx

i found that some friends think its ok to let you down as they see it as your hobby!!! this time around i havent relied on friends and have found it much better. obviously not all are like that.....

dont worry hun when you are chocca busy and they see how well you are doing they will regret!!

i think this can be applied to just about everything in life

....when people get things for nothing ..they generally don't appreciate it.

Oh no I would be so anonoyed I have been lucky and my friends have never let me down my best friend insists on paying me full price and my people from my work always give me a tip. It's time they started doing some work for u like advertising for u don't let them mess u about hun xxx

Sorry but TRUE friends would not treat you with such disrespect :)

When I did beauty treatments I had my friend of 30years come to me for waxing her legs . When I had finished she asked me how much she owed me - Nothing I said your my best friend - Her reply was ' No I insist on paying you because A) you have done a brill job and B) I would not feel comfortable asking you to do it again if you do it for free .

Now THATS a friend

xx

When I first started my friend came in and got her fingers, toes and a spray tan and then walked out! She said "I'll get you a bottle of wine" she has never been back and still waiting for the wine! Lol! X

How cheeky!!!:eek:
I'm not going to do discount. The exception is my best friend, she rarely has nail treatments and I'm happy to do hers and just charge her for the products...it's not like I feel like I'm giving up my time as we get together anyway and she does plenty of favours for me xx

I don't do discount for anyone but I do my sister in law for free. I have to force her anyway! Lol! My mum even pays me and my beauty room is in her house! I really wish she wouldn't but she insists!

I know how u feel babe. I hate doing friends they always want cheap, cancel and don't relize its your time and money. People are so rude. My one friend who is a stylist said she would help put my weave or fusions in oneday but I just feel terrible taking advanage so I put them in myself. Like I couldnt imagine. And im sure she appericates.

Even my best friend who runs her nail room from home sometimes we use each other for our own nails but we still don't use each others product and we do all our own filing. We both have had similar experiances with friends. I honestly have found friends to be the worst clients.

My friends have been great, but it's me as I was always getting embarrassed when they asked how much. I started off by having a price in mind then I would always say cheaper when it came to it. I had to take a few months off due to ill health so when I returned I made sure I had a proper price list made up. I then gave everyone a copy so there was no excuse for them to ask. One or two drifted away but the majority still come regularly.

I decided to text my closest friends & say from now on its 20% off the prices online here's the website - then they had no excuse.

The first text I got booking in for a treatment I replied great that's £Xy, I got a reply ok but I'll have to wait till after payday then.

I'm still convinced that she thought she'd get it free? So I waited till after payday :)

A problem I find is being mobile when I do any discount I really feel the money & time I spend travelling there. If they've got kids they let them crawl all over you and you can't do a service that way. You have to wait till little Johnny goes to bed before you can start which is fine normally but they don't realise you're there to do a job. I know I'm seeing my friends anyway but it turns a catch up into me thinking 'petrol cost £Xy' & I don't want to see my friends that way :/

Actually, all of this only bothers me with the 'friends' that seem to generally expect things for free :) its all about attitude isn't it

Im having a hard time at the moment with my friends aswell, i trained in nails a long time ago but really lacked confidence so after a while stopped doing nail enhancements.Iv always done manicures for my mum and started doing my two close friends nails for free they would turn up late!! one time 10.30 at night!! they kept telling me how good i was and that i should really get back into nails, this was a boost to my confidence and started training again.

Now trained and have my home salon up and running and i love it, however since i started charging my friends have been going to the local salon for shellac and not come to me once. its made me feel as though im not good enough for them to pay me.So the friends that boosted my confidence have now knocked it. Now im starting to get busy and everyone i have done so far has booked again so i must be doing something right.

who needs friends like these.:rolleyes:

oh i feel your pain. I always charge full price now for shellac for friends as it costs me so much and then only £5 off spray tans if they come to me! i charge my sister trade price but thats only as she insists on giving it to me, and my mum is free :)

i used to do my nan's friend's nails. she used to have a manicure and a pedicure and used to come to me for it. she wasn't short of a few bob either! she would never go home and just stay there chatting and i had other things to do/places to be, and this one time i had just got in paraffin wax and said i would trial it on her for free if she was happy for me to do so and she said yes, and i also had heated mitts which i used for free to trial the wax. then the next time she expected them again for free and i had to explain it was just a trial and if she wanted it, it would be £xx more! and she got the right hump! i would charge around £33 for both mani and pedi on her! and I think that is extremely cheap as a local salon charges £20.50 for manicure and £28 for pedicure! She had a busted toenail that i also built up for her for free, the more you give the more ppl expect so now, no discounts apart from tans!!! and i told this lady that i was no longer doing nails as it was more of an inconvenience than anything and i now am mobile so if she found out i was doing nails again, i would just travel to her! x

I have just started up and have been using family to gain extra confidence and get my timings quicker, I have been charging £20.00 for a full set of NSI Acrylic, they are happy for me to take this but I still feel awful for taking it, I know that I have to cover fuel costs and products but it's still family you know? Then my cousin said that she was so happy with her nails she was going to tell all her friends so that means all her friends will think that I will do a full set for £20!! I know I could always tell her that it's just that price for family but because I am just starting and it takes me so long have I really got a right to charge any more anyway? I don't want my family to think that i'm charging to much. I was thinking of charging £28.00 for everyone else. What do you think?

Friends are truly the worst clients!

When i first started i was a yes person! took any opportunity to do l&p for free for the practice, then minx, tanning etc. Everyone was so chuffed to be "helping me out". Then i found out one of my "friends" had been buying minx from ebay and minxing the rest of them..................grrrrrrrrrrrrr!

However, raging as i was. it gave me great satisfaction when we were standing a sports day at the school and my perfectly minxed toenails were gleaming in the sunlight and they're wrinkled and puckered big toes looked a mess! Handed out a few business cards and bobs your uncle. Everyones reverted!

Rise above it, you'll get the last laugh when they are all desperate to have something done and your too busy!

I made a specific friends price list so while they dont pay full whack, they still cover my costs and a bit more. They think they are getting a bargain and im not out of pocket!

Totally agree with this post. My friends are exactly the same. Want it for nothing or takes weeks and weeks to pay you. Annoying!! The worst has got to be when i done hair extensions on 2 of my friends, both of them said they would give me something (like wine etc) but have i recieved it?? Nope. Wont be doing it again in a hurry. Time is money

Im having a hard time at the moment with my friends aswell, i trained in nails a long time ago but really lacked confidence so after a while stopped doing nail enhancements.Iv always done manicures for my mum and started doing my two close friends nails for free they would turn up late!! one time 10.30 at night!! they kept telling me how good i was and that i should really get back into nails, this was a boost to my confidence and started training again.

Now trained and have my home salon up and running and i love it, however since i started charging my friends have been going to the local salon for shellac and not come to me once. its made me feel as though im not good enough for them to pay me.So the friends that boosted my confidence have now knocked it. Now im starting to get busy and everyone i have done so far has booked again so i must be doing something right.

who needs friends like these.:rolleyes:

These people you refer to are not your friends, they are mean and horrible and probably jealous of you. Get them off your Christmas card list!

I'm a single young lady who lives in my own 3 bedroom mortgaged house. In January I used my savings to convert my spare room to a beauty room, offering sienna spray tans, lashes, shellac and Nsi l&p all which has been paid for by me.

I work 8am-6pm in customer services mon-thurs and Saturday's. I only have 3 regular clients (only been open about a month or two)
Every two weeks I shellac them, every week I tan them and every 4 weeks I do there toes. My other best friend who came on numerous occasions when I was doing nail
Exts for free for my portfolio and never has any money came out on sat and had NSS nails on! Wtf?!?

And then my other best friend missed her appointment because she had to see her mum and wait...she had shellac fingers & toes.

So when I say I can't do your tan
Or nails because I can't afford to buy products il pat them on the back as a thank you.

Goodbye dropping everything for them or doing there nails at 9pm
When they have got in and showered from Zumba. Time wasters.

Rant over lol xx

I will not do friends full stop they take advantage of the fact that they are friends.. Because they are friends the mind starts to give rings bells ''o i can get for free ''. ''oh she will wait she won't mind'' ''she knows me''.I do not do them because 1 i over charge them for time wasting and 2 im not running a charity i am running a profitable business:smack:lol:wink2:

Ever since i got my first products and started doing nails i was sure to inform the friends that were interested that all these products cost alot plus the training and the time i am spending in doing them, its an investment not a hobby, so they knew that this is costing me and not to expect it for free, i told my closest friends that if they would ask me to do their nails i would give them a small discount and they have all come to me to their nails and have behaved very good, i only do my mom's and sister's nails for free now as i still use them for practice and to try new things ;)

Latest posts

Back