Aromatherapy body massage or swedish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what does evryone think about the home learn city and guids course then? i work in a hair and beauty salon and have been trained in hair for 5 years. in this time i have doddled around with beauty and decided last year to do it properly, but cant go full time to college and part time would take too long and cost more. so i enrolled on a home learn course, city and guilds, and have so far got half way through my level 2. this is with practical help from the bneauticans at the salon, the normal assignments from college and a tutor on the end of an email or phone. i know the theory side can be learnt in different ways for different people. i am better teaching myself out of a text book rather then listening to someone, always have been. then i have the beaitucian at work to talk me through the practical and the models i use are clients who already come in, for a free treatment.

I'm a massage therapist and know that a one day course will teach you nothing that you can use on a real client and places offering these courses should be investigated and shut down. You can do more harm to a person if you don't know what you're doing.
If you have a client that comes in saying they've been to a physio and have tendonitis and bursitis in their shoulder and the physio suggested a massage where you have to work the occipital points, work down the sternocleoidmastoid, trapezius, deltoids, scapula, work on the biceps and triceps. After one day you're not going to know what to do - and you will get people asking you for this type of thing. I'm lucky because I work with a football team and have a physio on hand.

surely these 1 day courses are set up for people with prior knowledge.

I personally did the 1 year swedish massage followed by the 1 year aromatherapy. Its the only way I could do it as the colleges insisted.

But, I felt that I had earned my stripes by doing it that way and now regularly go on 1 day courses eg Hot stone massage.

I think that these places that offer 1 day courses should have a pre requisite of a swedish massage diploma with A&P.

i completed my vtct level 3 swedish body massage course in 18 weeks

it was very hard and needless to say less than half the class passed the course

i was only allowed to do the course as i had previous beauty therapy qualifications, i had also covered health and safety and i took an a+p test where you had to get min 90% to pass

i see one day courses as refreshers for those with previous qualifications, one day does not seem enough to learn from scratch

as far as i know you need massage and a+p qualifications to study aromatherapy and its not an particularly easy either

Latest posts

Back