Aromatherapy body massage or swedish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tracy83

Reaction score
Hi all,

Im debating which course to book myself in to......i like the idea of the swedish massage movements which is one course but also the aromatherapy oil massage which involves the basic massage movements.........obviuosly this involving all essential oils that can be mixed to meet the clients requirements or the swedish massage without the oils.....im stcuk as to which one would be best and most popular.....any ideas guys?

Thanks

Hi there.
Before you can do either of these courses you have got to have an A&P diploma. Do you have this?

:hug:

Hi all,

Im debating which course to book myself in to......i like the idea of the swedish massage movements which is one course but also the aromatherapy oil massage which involves the basic massage movements.........obviuosly this involving all essential oils that can be mixed to meet the clients requirements or the swedish massage without the oils.....im stcuk as to which one would be best and most popular.....any ideas guys?

Thanks
I dont think you can do Aromatherapy without doing the Swedish first,The reason being was that with the Swedish you learn all the muscles(A&p) etc

With Aromatherapy the idea is that you can then focus on all the oils,think it was about 23 all in all,then you need to learn how to blend,what goes with what,why you may not use certain oils on certain people...contra-indications etc.It's a lot to learn and even moreso if you had to learn all that and the A&p of the body as well.

This was how it was on my course at college.I would say that we do a far higher percentage of Swedish massage than aromatherapy,this is because Swedish is much deeper whereas Aromatherapy is more about relaxation etc.Most clients want a deep massage and have nodules dealt with....aromatherapy is not about this at all.The Swedish massage movements are completely different than that of aromatherapy.HTH

I'd contact the college or wherever you are thinking of going for the training for information.
I did Swedish massage first and that included all of the anatomy and physiology that i needed to for the course and then Aromatherapy was included in my level 3 beauty so as BABSann says, maybe you have to do Swedish first.
Either way they are both nice to do, and lovely to recieve.
Good luck.

i have trained with the Beauty academy, formerly known as the herts and essex training centre. they offer individula courses for the duration of a day.....the body massage course whick invloves swedish movements has no entry requirements but the aromatherapy does not state so will ask them....your possibly right then, i'll have have to do the swedish massage before aromatherapy

If its only a day course then I would say it wouldn't matter which one you choose as neither (imho) are going to include enough theory or practical to perform a competent treatment after only one days training.

If you were going to a college then I would reccommend the swedish massage course first. Aromatherapy is very complex and I feel there is to much to even squeeze into a college course never mind one day. Not only do you have to learn a completley different massage, the oils and there uses but also there contra-indications - to each oil !!

Thanks ladies, i think i'll go for the body massage (basic) one then.

i have trained with the Beauty academy, formerly known as the herts and essex training centre. they offer individula courses for the duration of a day.....the body massage course whick invloves swedish movements has no entry requirements but the aromatherapy does not state so will ask them....your possibly right then, i'll have have to do the swedish massage before aromatherapy
A day course:eek::eek:Can you actually get insurance once qualified?How can they expect you to possibly remember/learn all the muscles,the moves,contra-indications,contra-actions?

I would give that a miss hun,seriously...there is NO way on earth anyone can learn the muscles let alone all the rest that is involved in one day,goodness.....

I feel these courses are ripping people off really I do,unless you have a medical background and already know the muscle groups,origins,insertions,a good understanding of how the body works(A&P) and then only need to focus on the massage movements,even then that is virtually impossible to take in,in one day.

We had a DR on our course at college,even she,with all her knowledge and background took time and practice to learn how to do all the massage moves on all areas of the body.

What would you do if a client were to say they were having trouble with their Latissimus Dorsi,that it was really hurting and the Dr recommended they come to you for a massage?A nice deep one at that.....:eek:Then they laid there on the couch waiting for you, the masseuse to know where that aching muscle was?

Are you or anyone else really going to remember where all your muscles were with a one day training course?I'm not blaming you,it's these idiots claiming they can teach anybody all there is to know in a one day massage training course.Go to college chuck,or a reputable training centre that teaches over a respectable amount of time,where you can feel confident in giving your clients the massage they deserve.Get yourself a descent qualification,incidently the Swedish massage course isn't really 'basic',its a level 3 NVQ, as is the aromatherapy,Best of luck.:hug:

Think i may contact them. i did do a Beauty Technician diploma with them in five days but rather but you have a choice as to whether to go forward for your city and guilds certificate which im going to do which will involve revising all the notes i get during my course and revising them at home and going for the exam when im ready......so i'd imagine in the body massage course would be the same, they show you the routines etc, go through the main parts breifly but we then go home with all the information and its up to us whether to learn it...like you say it is a rip of but its whether people are willing to learn in their own time.

thanks for your advice, you've made me think about it a little more

Think i may contact them. i did do a Beauty Technician diploma with them in five days but rather but you have a choice as to whether to go forward for your city and guilds certificate which im going to do which will involve revising all the notes i get during my course and revising them at home and going for the exam when im ready......so i'd imagine in the body massage course would be the same, they show you the routines etc, go through the main parts breifly but we then go home with all the information and its up to us whether to learn it...like you say it is a rip of but its whether people are willing to learn in their own time.

That's all very well but what if you can't remember how to do a movement, or start doing it wrong? Or if something goes wrong or you run into a problem? If you're doing it on your own with no guidance from a tutor looking over your shoulder you can so easily pick up bad habits without realising it, and bad habits can be very difficult to put right once they're ingrained in your brain and way of working.
A longer college course with properly supported learning is a MUCH better option in my opinion.
Please do think about it very carefully.

I see what you're saying but...as Rouge has pointed out,who can put you back on track if/when you are unsure of a move?

There is no physical way that they can show you the moves briefly,it's many,many hours worth or practice,and unfortunately it's not about you or anyone being willing to learn in their own time,there's far more to it than than that.There are approximately 15 moves alone for the back.

So you have a back,the arms,legs,scalp,feet,hands,kneck abdomen, how can it be possible that these idiots train you up to be competent in a few hours,cause lets face it that's all it will be by the time they have briefly gone over the A&P and other basics needed.

It's not feasable,please do not kid yourself or waste your money,people are dillusional if they seriously believe these rip off merchants can train them up to be competent masseuses,masseurs.

Take it from us professionals who have done the year course,we know first hand the intensity of the course.Best of luck though.:hug:

Spot on, Babs. It took me a year to do the Swedish massage course, then another year to do the aromatherapy course. I just cannot see how it's possible to do the training to any sort of workable standard in a few days. There is simply too much information to cover.

Hiya Trace 83

On your Beauty Technicians course what treatments did you learn to do? Can you get insured with this certificate?

I am going to be brutally honest with you here Trace . Learn by your mistakes hun. Do you really feel competent, do your clients have faith in you? Do you have faith in yourself? Do you really think its fair to your clients by charging them for a service you know very little about?
I am not knocking you. I am knocking the people who had your money off you to do this 5 day course. Its a total rip off and wrong.

Take everyone elses advice because they have given you the best advice
here that you could have asked for, and start again by doing a proper course starting from scratch. One that is nationally recognised, at college.

Hope that helps :hug::hug:

I have a diploma in mani/pedi, nail enhancements, facial skincare, waxing, lash and brow tinting and shaping. all notes were discussed during my course, a portfolio taken home with everything needed to be known........some people can walk away with just that and go out there and treat people but i've done the practical side of it....and am continuously doing it out of my full time job......going through my notes on a nightly basis.....i'm not just going to work on the public with my diploma......i'm doing all the work at home required for my city and guilds.......building my portfolio, then i have to do another set of written assignments and practical work, then go back to the academy when ive completed all that and they are happy, for my writtenm exams and practical exams.......i can totally see what your all saying and yes i could just carry on not knowing anything about the anatomy side of things but im learning all this with the work ive been provided and will go back and do my exams when ready.....

does that make sense. sorry girls to go on

I have a diploma in mani/pedi, nail enhancements, facial skincare, waxing, lash and brow tinting and shaping. all notes were discussed during my course, a portfolio taken home with everything needed to be known........some people can walk away with just that and go out there and treat people but i've done the practical side of it....and am continuously doing it out of my full time job......going through my notes on a nightly basis.....i'm not just going to work on the public with my diploma......i'm doing all the work at home required for my city and guilds.......building my portfolio, then i have to do another set of written assignments and practical work, then go back to the academy when ive completed all that and they are happy, for my writtenm exams and practical exams.......i can totally see what your all saying and yes i could just carry on not knowing anything about the anatomy side of things but im learning all this with the work ive been provided and will go back and do my exams when ready.....

does that make sense. sorry girls to go on

At least you are carrying on with your studies,the only thing I will say is the qualification of DIPLOMA seems so easily earned now.

I got a Diploma for ear piercing,that training took me precisely one day and tbh I wanted to scoff at the thought that they could possibly call that qualification a diploma.

I'm not knocking you hun,just saying I think these people calling their 5 day course a Diploma is a bloody insult to those that had to spend 2 years earning it.It's misleading to the public because a lot think a diploma is a high qualification,and so it damned well should be.

Good for you though,as I said before with understanding that a 5 day course is NOT enough to learn all that is needed regarding beauty therapy.On that note I hope you dont waste your money on that 1 day course learning massage.

I would hate to have to tell my clients that I spent 5 days to qualify in my profession.Personally I would be ashamed to think I was short changing people,JMHO though.:hug:

I agree totally with you babs.........there are so many companies out there where people do this distance learning, courses from home etc and come out with a qualification. thats the same.......so what be people count as qualified.....im not saying people should come out of there day course and think wow im a qualified nail technician or whatever it may have been they'd studied but if the work is put in afterwards and they are willing to pay the costs to do the assignments after as i am as i dont have the time for full time studying then i cant see it being a problem. im going to have to pay out hundreds of pounds to do my city and guilds so i have that to show people and they can trust what i do is right rather than a lot of people i know have left and gone straight in to a salon and worked.
the same with hair extensions, i did a day course for that...........but it took me a hell of a long time to get it right before working on the public, but now i have 4 years experience and my clients are chuffed.
Thanks for all your advice and dont get me wrong, i totally agree with what your saying and it is so easy for people to go out there and get a Diploma but thats where im going to put the extra work in and earn my city and guilds. Is that fair?..........i have full respect for people out there spending time doing a full time qualification, i did it at college for a year but had to leave after a year for a few reasons and now simply dont have the time to study full time.

I agree totally with you babs.........there are so many companies out there where people do this distance learning, courses from home etc and come out with a qualification. thats the same.......so what be people count as qualified.....im not saying people should come out of there day course and think wow im a qualified nail technician or whatever it may have been they'd studied but if the work is put in afterwards and they are willing to pay the costs to do the assignments after as i am as i dont have the time for full time studying then i cant see it being a problem. im going to have to pay out hundreds of pounds to do my city and guilds so i have that to show people and they can trust what i do is right rather than a lot of people i know have left and gone straight in to a salon and worked.
the same with hair extensions, i did a day course for that...........but it took me a hell of a long time to get it right before working on the public, but now i have 4 years experience and my clients are chuffed.
Thanks for all your advice and dont get me wrong, i totally agree with what your saying and it is so easy for people to go out there and get a Diploma but thats where im going to put the extra work in and earn my city and guilds. Is that fair?..........i have full respect for people out there spending time doing a full time qualification, i did it at college for a year but had to leave after a year for a few reasons and now simply dont have the time to study full time.
What I dont understand though Tracey is why you are paying for these short courses but have the intention of paying out again for a better qualification:confused:I understand the time issue but surely if you are inspired by the beauty profession as much as you seem to be then it would be far more sensible to do a part time evening course or day course and earn your qualifications as others have had to.

By doing this you would be a far better,knowledgable therapist,who clients trusted and felt secure in their knowledge that you did a ,'proper',course,for want of a better word.Not a five day course which again is simply nowhere near long enough to learn everything.

Again,I have to say that there is just not enough time to do all the assessments on all ranges of clients needed to make you a competent therapist.I also hate to say its therapists who have done these short course that give the profession a bad name.I'm sorry,I'm not trying to insult you personally but I along with other fully qualified therapist know that there is no way you will have a thorough understanding of everything.

How many assessments did you have to do on how many clients prior to being allowed to qualify and can you honestly say,hand on heart that you feel confident in your skin analysis,and all other treatments you're qualified in?

Surely it would be far better to just do your City and Guilds:!:Why waste the money and time?

Again I am sorry if I have offended you,it's not my intention I'm just stating my opinion,:hug:

I can totally understand what it is your saying but i dont see why just because im learning everything in my own time at home, i have everything i need to know and have advice when i want it and simply will not qualify if i havent learnt everything, the same as you girls have. im just not spending 1 or 2 years in college learning it all but spending a year or 2 in my own time and working through it when i have the time.

I can totally understand what it is your saying but i dont see why just because im learning everything in my own time at home, i have everything i need to know and have advice when i want it and simply will not qualify if i havent learnt everything, the same as you girls have. im just not spending 1 or 2 years in college learning it all but spending a year or 2 in my own time and working through it when i have the time.
Put it like this Tracey,you have a beauty diploma after a five day course,you asked about doing a massage course that lasted a day:rolleyes:.....I asked you how many assessments you had to do on each of the units and ranges and you didn't answer:eek:How many Tracey, does this course(the five day one,which is the issue here)expect you to do before giving you you're qualification?

You are working on the public now in your mobile business aren't you?

I feel like I'm being nasty to you personally and that's not my intention,mine and many other qualified beauty therapists issues are that there are therapists out there who are not properly qualified.After 5 days training there is no way these trainers should call that training a diploma or say these therapists are qualified,there is just way too much to take in in 5 days.

Sorry to keep on,I wont say anymore as I feel like I have said enough,maybe you need to re read what has been written so then perhaps you can try to understand where we are coming from on this issue or these issues.

The difference is we did not have our own businesses and we were certainly not allowed to work on paying clients after 5 days,why?because we were not knowledgeable enough,experienced enough,and we certainly wouldn't have been confident enough.To me it's like saying use the clients as guinea pigs until you get a better qualification,in the meantime clients ask questions about things you will have no knowledge in...why??because the course would not have had the time to have even touched on most of the A&P ,theory or treatments.

Babsann has said it all really, and I totally agree with her.

When I did my training, you HAD to do A&P before you could do any massage course.

I know some colleges let you study a&p alongside your massage course. Personally I feel this should not be allowed.
I think you should be completely competent in a&p before embarking on the practical side, but thats just my opinion.

Trace I wish you luck , because you are going to need it, and I dont mean that in a nasty way at all . These short courses wont bring you the skills you need to carry out a professional job, you just need to have some luck I guess in attracting paying clients and keeping them.

:hug:

Latest posts

Back