Arthritis causing onycholysis?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

becsxx

Reaction score
Hi all, hope you can help, and thanks to anyone who answers!!

I do my mums elderly friends nails, just shellac (using full system properly) but over the past couple of months she has really bad onycholysis only on one nail and just up one side of the nail, I don't have a photo but it's about 2/3 up the nail, I'm concerned as it's full of dirt and she cant get it out.

She had a fungal infection under a couple of nails months ago but cleared it up with cream from the dr. (Different nails)

When she went to her dr the nurse told her that it is being caused by her arthritis and nothing can be done for it. She has arthritis in both hands on most fingers and it's only happening to one nail so really doesn't make sense to me.

Can arthritis cause onycholysis?
If so, how?
Why isn't it 'attacking' all of her nails?

I've told her to go to her dr to get it checked out.

(I've attached a pic of her hands so you can see her arthritis but it's a set I did a while ago before the onycholysis started, the nail that has it now is the middle finger on the hand underneath, so you can see the arthritis but to me this doesn't look that bad and doesn't really cause her much pain?) ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1388565242.693213.jpg
You can see the arthritis is worse on her pointers and those nails are fine, hardened but fine.

Hi all, hope you can help, and thanks to anyone who answers!!

I do my mums elderly friends nails, just shellac (using full system properly) but over the past couple of months she has really bad onycholysis only on one nail and just up one side of the nail, I don't have a photo but it's about 2/3 up the nail, I'm concerned as it's full of dirt and she cant get it out.

She had a fungal infection under a couple of nails months ago but cleared it up with cream from the dr. (Different nails)

When she went to her dr the nurse told her that it is being caused by her arthritis and nothing can be done for it. She has arthritis in both hands on most fingers and it's only happening to one nail so really doesn't make sense to me.

Can arthritis cause onycholysis?
If so, how?
Why isn't it 'attacking' all of her nails?

I've told her to go to her dr to get it checked out.

(I've attached a pic of her hands so you can see her arthritis but it's a set I did a while ago before the onycholysis started, the nail that has it now is the middle finger on the hand underneath, so you can see the arthritis but to me this doesn't look that bad and doesn't really cause her much pain?) View attachment 51625
You can see the arthritis is worse on her pointers and those nails are fine, hardened but fine.

Onycholysis is not anything that can attack all nails. Onycholysis is not a disease. Onycholysis is caused by something else and is the term for nail plate separation. It can happen to one nail because of trauma, or perhaps all nails from a rampant fungal infection or other form of disease.

Arthritis doesn't always attack all fingers. I have it in my right hand but not a sign of it in my left hand. I don't believe that arthritis causes onycholysis directly but indirectly it could contribute to nail plate separation because the fingers become somewhat twisted and can be painful which could cause pressure on a nail or nails when using the hands and that could result in trauma or pressure that could cause nail plate separation.

Last edited:
I was told by a tutor that it could be a sign of an allergy to a product ie the gel polish or remover or scrub fresh etc xxx

I have psoriasis which sometimes causes onycholysis in my finger nails and toe nails. There is a form of psoriatic arthritis that can also cause onycholysis, and this may be what is happening with your client.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9300 using Tapatalk

Ok thanks ladies, I'll make sure she goes to the dr, and see what he has to say, hopefully it doesn't get infected underneath as it's happened so quick the skin underneath is tender.

Latest posts

Back