Artistic Colour Gloss application help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rads

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I know so many posts have probably been similar but I just have to ask again!
New to nails and I have been working on clients for only 2 weeks but clients artistic colour gloss seems to be lifting and peeling.

I remove existing varnish, I lightly buff each nail and shape, I then dehydrate the nail using a surface cleanser from Sally's . Then add primer, bonding gel cure for 90 sec, dry brush , apply thin coat, cure for 120 sec, repeat process until desired colour. I then do a thin top coat and cure again. The gel seems quite sticky so I use the cleanser to take away the tackiness.

Is it I'm not curing it properly? Or do u think its my technique? I do notice at times when I use the cleaner at the end of the process some colour is on the lint pad?

Again sorry posts like these are common just don't want complaints and already had 2 customers come back after 1 week knocking my confidence :Scared:

Thanks in advance xx

Hi everyone,

I remove existing varnish, I lightly buff each nail and shape, I then dehydrate the nail using a surface cleanser from Sally's . Then add primer, bonding gel cure for 90 sec, dry brush , apply thin coat, cure for 120 sec, repeat process until desired colour. I then do a thin top coat and cure again. The gel seems quite sticky so I use the cleanser to take away the tackiness.
Thanks in advance xx

OK, this is what I do...

I use CND products for all my prep so therefore I would:

1. If it's a brand new client, I would gently remove surface shine with a 240 grit file.
2. apply CND Scrubfresh
3. Apply Artistic Primer
4. Apply a very, thin coat of Gel Bond and cure for 120 seconds
5. Dry brush if needed
6. Apply first coat and cure for 120 seconds
7. Apply 2nd coat and cure for 120 seconds
8. Apply top coat and cure for 120 seconds
9. Remove inhibition layer with either D sperse or IPA

If there's a small amount of colour left on your lint pad, then it's just you may have not got right near to the side walls with your top coat.

So basically as far as I can see you're doing the correct procedure but you're not curing your base coat for long enough or maybe the nail sanitiser is at fault???

Also are you sure your colour coats are thin enough??? Your first coat sometimes still looks very see through, that's normal. Are your clients nails peeling from the free edge or the cuticle? Are you making sure you don't have a "lip" of colour at the free edge, i.e. when you're capping, make sure you're not leaving a any excess at the top, if it's too thick at the free edge, that could be the issue??

Clients nails have peeled from the free edge and side walls. Maybe I should use the artistic cleanser and stick with the same brand for absolutely everything, just the cleanser was cheaper. Yes il try curing the bonding gel, maybe should take more time at it. Thanks so much shall give it a try. Also one of the clients that have come bk to me I did a matt black so black then buffed it down with top coat tips- so thinking it peeled Cz the whole nail didn't have a top coat ?

Shall def try the tips u gave me thanks so much again xxx. :hug:

Just a query but you do not mention removing the cuticle?

Just noticed you did matt black and then have mentioned no top coat?

when you do a matt finish, you cure the colour coat, top coat it THEN gently buff off the gloss on the top coat.

If you're not top coating, then that will explain why you're left with colour left on your lint pads after taking off the inhibition layer.

Yes I do remove the cuticle sorry forgot say that- oh right I didn't realise I was meant to do the top coat and then buff would that still leave me with a matte finish then? Thanks both that helps with that client now just need to work out the other client which was just a all over regular artistic application! Xx

Yes you top coat the complete nail, buff off the top shine then if you want to have a shiny french finish, you would then do a smile line in the top coat and cure.

It could be that you didn't cure the base for the correct amount of time, with a uv lamp it needs 2 minutes and just make sure you use a good nail dehydrator, either the one from Artistic or as I say I always use CND's Scrub Fresh and have been for about 3 years with no issues.

Your over curing your base coat. Only 60 seconds is needed

Your over curing your base coat. Only 60 seconds is needed

THIS. I'm not sure why other posters are telling you to cure the base coat longer!
Read the back of the bottle. It's 1 minute cure in UV.

Secondly what lamp are you using? We had the issue you are when using a cheap lamp.

Do you find using a LED lamp rather then UV helps with the longevity of the nails?

A high quality uv lamp with frequently changed bulbs or the artistic LED light will cure it perfectly. Cheap lamps appear to cure it but the difference is astounding!

Latest posts

Back