Artistic Rock Hard vs Acrylics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belllla

Reaction score
Hi geeks

For those of you who use Artistic Rock Hard, how do you feel it compares to acrylic, does it wear/last just as long or longer?

I trained in acrylics years ago and never used it but want to add extensions to my treatments.

I currently offer Artistic Colour Gloss and I love it so naturally I'd like to invest in their rock hard gel.

Hi! I've been trained in Acrylics but I prefer hard gel over them too.

I just got the Rock Hard World Tour kit and have been trying out the Rock Hard gel on myself before I introduce it to clients and let me tell you...that stuff is the truth! It truly is Rock Hard and has stood the test of time of a nail tech that has her fingers in acetone and other removers and cleaners and sanitizer and I'm also clumsy at times with my hands when I'm in a hurry and it hasn't budged.

Furthermore, as someone who has used CND Brisa Lite for most of this year before I got Rock Hard; I can tell you there are many differences...if you're interested in knowing them id be happy to share that as well. All in All, I'm very happy with Rock Hard Led Gel! ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1377531163.993164.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you so much NailArtistrista.

I am definately going to invest. I've been waiting for training dates but I will buy the kit and then get added onto the training course when its available.

xxx

PS if you could give me the differences I would really appreciate it. xxx

I was literally logging on to ask about this and saw your post! Lol. I have been using Brisa Lite, but I have been really interested in this system since I saw it in Nails magazine back in March or April. I am curious to know how it compares to Brisa Lite. I don't use acrylic due to sensitivity I developed while in nail school but I do use gel and want a really good gel system. Haven't really been thrilled about Brisa Lite. Would love to go to a class. Anyway, please tell me how this compares to other systems as I am really hoping to purchase a new one this week. Thanks! :)

Brisa Lite & artistic’s rock hard gel are not comparable products.

Brisa lite is a soak off builder gel – it’s not meant to be rock solid & impermeable.

Brisa lite can be compared with artistic nail design’s soak off builder gel shown below:

https://www.louellabelle.co.uk/nails/product_details/artistic-soak-off-building-gel-1040/

BL is stronger, less rubbery & an easier consistency to work with. Both will break down with regular contact to acetone because they soak off. I wouldn’t want to build full sets with artistic’s soak off gel – it’s more for repairs. But with BL full sets are easy & can be infilled as normal. BL is a far superior product in my opinion.

Traditional Brisa is a similar product to rock hard gel. They are both buff off hard gels. All buff off gels are unaffected by acetone. Brisa is the market leader – it’s hypoallergenic, doesn’t ever yellow, has a beautiful consistency & is a dream to work with. Sadly UV cure only though.

Artistic’s rock hard gel, which I am currently trialling in salon, is standing up very well against brisa. I haven’t noticed it be phenomenally “rock hard” – it’s not as hard as L&P. But it’s definitely hard enough to function without routine breakages. We've done about 60 sets with it. I think we had 1 customer with a break, and I had 1 break also, but we’re both rough on any enhancement product.

It’s nice to work with & it’s not horribly runny like a lot of the competition. We’ve only been using it the last 5 weeks so clients have only had 2ish infills thus far (I’ve had 3). There has been no discolouration which is very common & it’s easy to file – which I though it might not be due to the “rock hard” nature of it.

The brush on gels are great too. I particularly like having a peachy gel (groupie) which a lot of companies don’t offer & find the brighter pink to still be delicate rather than garish/unnatural. The brush on white is super easy to use – not thick or gloopy.

So far all I have to say are positives :)

As a side note I find it a bit odd that 2 nail techs would be offering a soak off builder gel as their only gel enhancement option. Those used to permanent enhancements are never going to be satisfied with a product that is designed & marketed as a medium strength gel. You are likely to get more breakages & more problems generally if you don’t use the right product on your clients.

Last edited:
I have been interested in Hard Rock. Have tried Brisa Lite and my clients love it. Nothing lasts on me at all. I know we are hard on our own nails but i do not get longer 7 days with any product on my own. I have even tried very recently Cuccio T3 gel. This wasn't too bad but only got to 10 days! And it had a terrible heat spike.
I know its a LED curable. This is what is putting me off buying another lamp. Apart from that i really want to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I have been interested in Hard Rock. Have tried Brisa Lite and my clients love it. Nothing lasts on me at all. I know we are hard on our own nails but i do not get longer 7 days with any product on my own. I have even tried very recently Cuccio T3 gel. This wasn't too bad but only got to 10 days! And it had a terrible heat spike.
I know its a LED curable. This is what is putting me off buying another lamp. Apart from that i really want to try it!

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

It will cure with a UV light.

LED lights produce a narrower range of frequencies from within the UVA light spectrum & a UV light produces the entire UVA spectrum. So the CND light would be fine - 2mins per layer instead of 30 secs :)

Have you tried brisa hard gel though? It would fit in more with your current services & is a far more robust gel than T3.

If brisa hard gel doesn't work for you then rock hard is unlikely to - there's little difference other than the led cure. The "rock hard" element is, as far as I can tell, marketing spin.

It will cure with a UV light.

LED lights produce a narrower range of frequencies from within the UVA light spectrum & a UV light produces the entire UVA spectrum. So the CND light would be fine - 2mins per layer instead of 30 secs :)

Have you tried brisa hard gel though? It would fit in more with your current services & is a far more robust gel than T3.

If brisa hard gel doesn't work for you then rock hard is unlikely to - there's little difference other than the led cure. The "rock hard" element is, as far as I can tell, marketing spin.

Hi willowrose, thanks for the response. That's really interesting as I contacted Louella Belle and they told me that it wouldn't work with my UV lamp,. It's good to know that someone has tried it and found it works. I know we should always use manufactures lamps, but we could end up with 2-3 different bands!
Yes, I have tried Brisa still the same, I would only ever use CND as like many very dedicated to them but I am at a loss now! I think I'll buy the basic primer, clear and top coat of Hard Rock and give it a go on myself. It's the only way to find out!

Woohoo I booked my training course and got my kit in the post today.

I'm sooooooo excited to start this new adventure. I'm a bit nervous as I haven't built an extension in years but the course will refresh my memories.

Woohoo. I will let you all know how the product is.

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1377796572.476203.jpg

Hi willowrose, thanks for the response. That's really interesting as I contacted Louella Belle and they told me that it wouldn't work with my UV lamp,. It's good to know that someone has tried it and found it works. I know we should always use manufactures lamps, but we could end up with 2-3 different bands!

I haven't tried UV curing. I understand the science behind it though so knew that any led curable gel can also be cured in a decent quality UV lamp. It's not the same in reverse - a UV gel won't necessarily cure in an LED lamp as it produces a narrower range of UVA frequencies.

I think it's as simple as talking to someone with a lack of knowledge. Those on low wages in a sales driven call centre probably don't know much.

Anyhoo, I've just noticed that on the back of the packaging is a table with UV & LED cure times so thought I'd reassure you with a pic x

Attachments

• 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 376
Lysa .G mentioned that she suffered a bad heat spike with another gel.

If your client is quite sensitive to heat spikes if you are using an led lamp, would a UV lamp be any better, eg: heat spike not as bad?

Is Artistic Rock Hard any different to Gelish Hard Gel?

I haven't tried UV curing. I understand the science behind it though so knew that any led curable gel can also be cured in a decent quality UV lamp. It's not the same in reverse - a UV gel won't necessarily cure in an LED lamp as it produces a narrower range of UVA frequencies.

I think it's as simple as talking to someone with a lack of knowledge. Those on low wages in a sales driven call centre probably don't know much.

Anyhoo, I've just noticed that on the back of the packaging is a table with UV & LED cure times so thought I'd reassure you with a pic x

Since commenting on this post, Louella Bellamy have emailed me and confirmed about the UV cure. They also apologised about bring given the wrong information. Have ordered today. Very excited, very happy with their customer service too.
Thank you for the picture of the time table. Will update once I have tried it.x

Lysa .G mentioned that she suffered a bad heat spike with another gel.

If your client is quite sensitive to heat spikes if you are using an led lamp, would a UV lamp be any better, eg: heat spike not as bad?

This heat spike was from a UV lamp. And it was terribly painful to the point of taking my hand out.

I find gel doesn't last long on me compared to acrylic, where can you purchase the rock hard gel too?

Since commenting on this post, Louella Bellamy have emailed me and confirmed about the UV cure. They also apologised about bring given the wrong information. Have ordered today. Very excited, very happy with their customer service too.
Thank you for the picture of the time table. Will update once I have tried it.x

Louella belle customer service is outstanding isn't it :) I'm literally finding excuses to find more products there because I rate them so highly❤❤

Louella belle customer service is outstanding isn't it :) I'm literally finding excuses to find more products there because I rate them so highly❤❤

I ordered on Tuesday, and it was here yesterday. I haven't had chance to do my own nails as yet, that will be tomorrow night.

I was very happy with the service I have had so far. And was given a discount on my order too, even more happy!

I have used many brands of hard gel, is the application still the same with the Hard Rock? Would you use the clear brush on as a base, or go straight to the building gels and finish with the clear brush on as a top coat?x

Latest posts

Back