asthma and odour

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velvetmoonchild

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i am currently doing the essential nails home course with acrylic and the smell is awful, i have all the windows open and keep the kids out when i am practising but the smell goes through the whole house. my youngest has asthma and i wanted to know would i be affecting him in any way even though i try to ventilate the room properly . so far he hasnt shown any symptoms of worsening but its worrying me as i would like to go mobile when qualified and a lot of firends would come to my house, i dont want to over espose my family to the fumes.
advice really needed
thanks
lisa xx:confused: :sad:

thanks for the link , i have read the thread but its the asthma link i need to sort out as i am really worried about it, i dont want my new career to hurt my son, so i need to clarify it before i carry on. i dont wipe my brush to remove excess , and use a tiny dappen dish. so i cant eliminate those. i think i'll have to get a fume removing machine but expenses at the mo are a nightmare :O(

Why dont you ring Essential Nails tomorrow & they should be able to help you xxxx

I have asthma and the odour doesn't bother me. All I have to be carefull of is the dust but I just wear a mask for that.

HTH

i will ring tomorrow they are really helpful too . thanks

Just being really, really picky...... but you don't make fumes, you make vapours.....

Fume - particle carried in smoke (like an exhaust fume)
Vapour - vapourised particle of liquid (like perfume)

I know it seems like semantics but it's really important to use the correct terminology! :)

HTH's

velvetmoonchild said:
hi everyone,

i am currently doing the essential nails home course with acrylic and the smell is awful, i have all the windows open and keep the kids out when i am practising but the smell goes through the whole house. my youngest has asthma and i wanted to know would i be affecting him in any way even though i try to ventilate the room properly . so far he hasnt shown any symptoms of worsening but its worrying me as i would like to go mobile when qualified and a lot of firends would come to my house, i dont want to over espose my family to the fumes.
advice really needed
thanks
lisa xx:confused: :sad:
i done that course and my daughter is asthmatic,i done exactly the same as u i opened all the windows and kept her out the room and she was fine,but you need to watch i found that if the rooms to hot or too cold it affects the nails and i also wore a mask which i still do now and i always offer my clients one.i hope your enjoying your course isint the nail trainer great?x

i too have asthma and have found it has worsened quite a lot since starting nails...but i think it is the dust not the "vapour" :)) ) and my daughter hasnt shown any signs and she used to have it really bad a few years ago,and ive always got my l+p out having a practice so theyre around it an awful lot

i am really enjoying the course but i am the type to run before i can walk so to speak, so i am a frustrated trainee at the mo. i need more nails as i have practised so much i have used them all. I still worry about the " vapours" and i think it will be practice whilst they are at school till i have a chat with his asthma nurse on thurs

velvetmoonchild said:
i am really enjoying the course but i am the type to run before i can walk so to speak, so i am a frustrated trainee at the mo. i need more nails as i have practised so much i have used them all. I still worry about the " vapours" and i think it will be practice whilst they are at school till i have a chat with his asthma nurse on thurs
take your time with the course and enjoy it,i done that i was so exited to get my certificate that i rushed,and they sent my nails i had submitted back(gutted)they told me to do them again!!!so i did i took my time,keep watching the video aswell i thought it was great.x

I have asthma I had a real problem with the vapours. I think it was to do with the fact that there were 30 in a class!!! at college though. I had to sit right by the window.

There was extraction but it still left me feeling weezy. I have had asthma since I was 3 and it seems to be getting worse during the winter times and this was the time I was going to college on cold dark nights:eek:).

I now use gels and have given up L&P. I think it depends on what your triggers are for your asthma as I do not have a problem with the dust created when filing. (although this has reduced alot since I first started:lol: )

obviously me being a beginner some of my nails are lumpy melons so i can be filing a lot. other times they come out fine. will definately watch the filing as i practice in the dining room and have to wash everything down afterwards.
thanks for the advice everyone

I too have asthma, I had to give up doing nails many years ago until someone told me about Creative Nail Design. It turned out that it wasnt the liquid and powder that was causing me to be hospitalized. it was adhesives and dust. So with the help of fab mentors at CND. I learned how to sculpt and shape with the brush and not the file and I wish I'd found creative years ago. But please remember. The smell of something is no indication of safety. and ventilation by extraction is better than an open window. dust particles travel around for over 45 mins before they settle which is much more worrying than the vapour of the monomer.

Latest posts

Back