At home nail courses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimi

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me more about these courses you can do from home for training on L & P??????

Kimi

Hi

I am confused ( which is easy)
Is Essential Nails good then as I thought that homes study was maybe not the best way to learn be a Nail Tech or is it the only homes study one that is reputable?
I am getting so confused with all the courses that are available

Or is Creative the best way to go or maybe college?

Please advise

I know this has been covered a lot but I get confused.

Cheers

Billie XX

Billie said:
Hi

I am confused ( which is easy)
Is Essential Nails good then as I thought that homes study was maybe not the best way to learn be a Nail Tech or is it the only homes study one that is reputable?
I am getting so confused with all the courses that are available

Or is Creative the best way to go or maybe college?

Please advise

I know this has been covered a lot but I get confused.

Cheers

Billie XX

Everyone has a different idea on the best way to learn. and everyone has a different way of learning that suits them!

I did the Unit 19 Nail Enhancements NVQ thru an adult education centre. In this i learnt all three systems, had to complete a portfolio, and do natural manicure. I loved this way of learning as it was held over a year (in line with the school terms and holidays) and it was one night a week with the option later on to attend on 2 nights at no extra charge. the work was hard and you had to do an auwful lot of work at home, but it was brilliant. I had a whole year to practice all of the different skills i picked up off of my tutors. I would learn, for example L&P sculpting on the tuesday, go away and practice, and then the next tuesday discuss with my tutor any problems i had. We could also phone her in the week with any problems. at the end we had to send off our completed portfolios to be marked by Rachael (aka chocolate). and we had three evenings of practical assessment.

day one: re-balance (tip n overlay) removal and natural nail overlay. with french manicure varnish

day two: full set on a nail biter, re-balance tip and overlay (in different system to day one)

Day three: re-balance nail biter, dark polish, full set of sculpted, light polish.

On the second day we had Jaquie jefford and ann swain there (coz they are the external verifiers) and ann showed everyone how to customise the square forms we all had to get a better fit.

I know you didn't ask for this, but i thought if different people put down there different experiences of study down, you could read them all and know a bit more about them.

The home learn has lovers and haters, i dont know enough so im neither. i suppose a good thing is you can watch the video over and over, and you can really take your time when learning, and do it when and where you want. But i suppose a down side is that you dont have the one-on-one attention. and you only do it on the trainer, which is good to begin with as you wont be filing away at a clients nail bed, but bad coz you cant beat a real person - well you could beat a real person but you would get in trouble for it! LOL!:lol:

With some other courses, (the generic ones that are not nvq) you do it in a very short amount of time, and you only get taught the basics and not much theory, and i personally think that you need to do alot of practice before going live on clients.

Creative, i have not ever heard a bad word said about them, just look at gigi's tutorials, that kinda shows you the commitment of the creative educator.

there are loads of other brands which supply there own training, like ez flow, ibd, ons, etc etc. the best thing to do is find out the best one for you!

I suppose the home learn would be ideal for if you are a junior in a salon, and they cant afford to send you away (i mean time here more than money) so you could have it at work and learn, then you will have the help and advoce of the experienced technician who is your boss, or the other nail techs who work there.

BLAH BLAH BLAH! Dont i go on!!!

Hiya,

I first started with the Essentials Nails home learn kit as i was working full time and had a liitle girl and hubby to look after, so for me this was ideal as i could do it at my own pace. It is a very good starter for learning the wonderfull world of nails, but personally i thought well this video cannot tell me if i am doing it right or wrong so i then went on to do a 4 day foundation course with NSI, then i felt more comfortable with what i was doing.

At the end of the day it is up to you to decide which course suits your lifestyle. Learning about nails cannot be done in 4 days, 4 weeks, 4 months or even 4 years it is on going and it is life-long learning!!!

Whichever course you decide to do good luck and never give up and never stop learning!!

Amanda

Hi there,

My first course was an Essential Nails home learn course too. It gave me the confidence I needed to go into a class room for more training. Since then I have completed sevaral classroom based courses, including the Creative Foundaion. I hope to go on to do an NVQ and my Creative Masters in the near future.

I think you gain something from all training you do.

Like Lily says - you never stop learning!

Kx

Hi,

Welcome to the board there has been lots of threads about home learn courses maybe you could do a search on en courses i'm sure lots will come up.

I began with EN but found that you cannot beat learning in the classroom i would advise anyone to learn in a classroom enviroment.

I'am currently doing a nail technology nail course and am finding it much more informative.

hi luckybird 21, just wanted to no how you found out about your nvq course im really keen to do one. thanks

I'll tell you what .. she really was a Luckybird ... not all NVQ courses are run as well as the one Luckybird did .. in fact most aren't.

I wish they all were.

Latest posts

Back