Average costs of running a salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherylj45

Reaction score
Hi. I'm taking on a new business, empty building!! I'm going to turn it into a small salon with 4 maybe 5 stations and 2basins. If anyone has done thus, what did it cost you to do???
Can anyone tell me roughly their monthly outgoings??? Just stressing a bit!!!!

Hi,

Good luck :) Hard work but you will love it.
My start up costs where over £50k and out goings around £5-7k a month

I take it this is a Hair Salon you are talking about?

My Outgoings per month .
Rent £900
Electric £100
Water £50
Business rates £125
Phone £9.99 (plus calls)
PDQ machine £25
Rubbish collection £11.99
Plus any stock, sundries, and stationary
You will also need PPL and a PRS licences if you are to play music they are one off annual payments.
Obviously business insurance, check with your landlord if they have building insurance (you may have to pay that too)
Shop around for back wash units etc, starting from around £400 each
Work stations, think outside the box, your imagination is your only limit :)
Gas lift chairs around £80 upwards
Don't dismiss second hand furniture it will save you a fortune :)
Go for it, you'll love it - good luck x

My Outgoings per month .
Rent £900
Electric £100
Water £50
Business rates £125
Phone £9.99 (plus calls)
PDQ machine £25
You will also need PPL and a PRS licences if you are to play music they are one off annual payments.
Obviously business insurance, check with your landlord if they have building insurance (you may have to pay that too)

Thank you. This has really helped. Do you employ or rent chairs out? I'm excited and scared x

I rent chairs and the beauty rooms out,
Get excited :) it's what drives us, gives us the bug to thrive
Remember - if your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough ;-)
Go for it !!! :) x

I rent chairs and the beauty rooms out,
Get excited :) it's what drives us, gives us the bug to thrive
Remember - if your dreams don't scare you, they're not big enough ;-)
Go for it !!! :) x

Loveeee that quote!!

My Outgoings per month .
Rent £900
Electric £100
Water £50
Business rates £125
Phone £9.99 (plus calls)
PDQ machine £25

I've been looking into playing music in my salon, how much are the licenses roughly?

Need to figure out whether it would be worthwhile or whether it's just an unnecessary extra cost!

Saira, it varies on how many work stations etc you have.
I have 3 and 2 beauty rooms and the licences are around £92 (inc vat) each for the year, they are worth having if you play the radio the fine is much higher if you're caught :)
Have a look on their websites for more info

Helpful information. I am looking at a similar sized salon by the sounds of it so this is a huge help for business planning :)

Thankyou

If you're starting up from scratch make sure you have at least 4-6 months minimum overheads/outgoing costs put by - you will need it - maybe more. Business takes a while to become fruitful, in most cases 2 -3 years before you start making any money, be prepared not to take any money from the business for quite a while. My start up costs were around 70k...Don't forget health and safety costs, fire extinguishers, PAT testing, website, advertising, pricelists/leaflets/ business cards..I could go on.....

Thanks so much Virtues, I was just about to reply to your response on my other post as I have only just seen it. It's still relatively early days but it's picking up momentum now.

I am lucky that I am already self employed with a good solid client base and I am not moving too far. I know I can't rely on that but it's a good start.

Sat here working on my business plan as we speak and doing a whole lot of research before a meeting on Monday and you have already added something I had previously forgotten....PAT testing which was in my original draft and I had missed it off this one so thankyou again.

The salon is about 200 square foot in answer to the other post. I am incredibly luck as I have a building team for a family which should help to keep those costs down at least......now just to finance the rest!

I would definitely keep an eye out for second hand stuff! I've just opened a barbershop and I got lucky with the fittings- I got 4 sections (made of oak and granite tops with sinks- waaaay out of my price range) and 2 backwashes for £800 from a barbershop that was closing down. Bought them before I even had premises! So you just have to keep an eye out.

Or like the others have said- depending on your style, you can get creative with the stations! Reclaimed wood, giant mirrors, anything. Theres an Adee Phelan salon in newcastle City centre that's just opened- they have propped mirrors up on old broken pianos- looks amazing (pics online).

Anyway, slightly off topic, but good luck anyways! I feel excited for you, having just gone through this myself!

Marking for future reading, thanks :)

If you didn't want to buy the music licences as that is something that is quite expensive and you could look at getting those with your future year on year buisness plan there's a company called Ichill that you but CDs from n they are licence free so no licence is needed it's a bit like tranquil music but it's alright clients may relax more than having a radio blasting the same songs 20 times a day :)

Latest posts

Back