Average wage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurasnowwhite

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have been approached by an acquaintance with the offer of managing a new smallish salon venture in the new year.

He had some money to invest but wants nothing to do with the day to day running of the business, so that would be down to me.

He is looking at premises in the West End/Central London.

To begin with it would probably be just me and one other full timer, with possibly a Saturday girl/trainee.

My question is, what sort of wage should I be expecting for this position?

I have been self employed/mobile since I entered the industry, and, whilst I have management experience in my previous career, I have no idea how much money I should be expecting to earn.

We will be setting up completely from scratch, so I will be involved in choosing the treatment list and hiring staff.

He wants it to be quite a high end venture, as he has some friends and associates in high places who we hope will become clients!!

I assume this would be a salaried position, rather than an hourly rate.

I should also add that I will be commuting for 90mins each way to begin with, and subject to the success of the salon, may be able to move closer in the future. So, I also need to be mindful of travel costs (approx £16 each day)

If any salon owners out there can offer their expertise on this subject I would appreciate it, as I want to be sure I'm not asking for too much and pricing myself out, but also not being underpaid for my skills and experience in both my services and my business skills.

Thanks in advance!!

Oh dear, is there no one out there who can advise me? Even a ball park figure??

Why dont you just ask him?
As is a new business I would imagine you’ll have a basic salary (not very much) and a % from what the salon is taking.

Last edited:
If it was me I'd sit down and work out a figure I'd be happy to work for doing that particular job, factoring in things such as travel as you mentioned costs where high but also take into account things like stress of the role but also how good it'll look on your cv etc.
See what he offers you and go from there, bearing in mind the initial salaried figure you'd be happy with x

Latest posts

Back