Avoiding root glow!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

notsodumbblonde

Reaction score
I have a client on sat who usually has a base 6 (permanent) all over, with some Chunky red slices through the side (majicontrast)
She has decided she would like to be full head red now..However her roots will obviously virgin hair roughly base 7.
She doesn't want to be a really bright red but I am in two minds of how to achieve this without root glow...I'm thinking along the lines of red about the depth of a 6.

1. Would you mix a base 6 in with whichever red I decide to use to apply to the root area then go through the lengths and ends with just the red? How light a red would you choose ,and would you use 6% on the root and 9 or 12 % on the lenghts and ends?
or
2. Bleach bath first? Then put same colour all over?

3. Break it up by pre-lightening a few areas with some foil highlights, rinse and then put the red over the lot?

Lol For some reason I find the Red colours really difficult and am very wary xxx

Thanks ever so much for reading xxxxxxx

hey! it is so difficult to get red's even and nice when recolouring,
in my oppinion the bleach bath may seem the easier option but when it comes to recolouing it's a bummer as it doesn't last 2 washes,,, fades really quick to a awful gingery or pink?? eew!!

so i would defo do 6% on roots and then 9% on lengths and ends!! xxxxxx

Thanks for your reply!
I hate those pesky Reds!!!
I'm also worried the red won't show up at all on the lengths and ends with it having permanent colour on...The majicontrast I usually use in the foils works wonders but I don't think it can be applied to scalp.....and as far as I know normal tint wont lift tint, my initial thought was that as she didn't want it too bright, enough tone from the red would deposit to show up through the existing base 6....
Hmmm

Hi, you could keep it nice and simple and use a base 6 demi semi to add lovely shiny red tones all over
with a 1.9% peroxide releaser
a base 6 is an excellent base for putting rich red tones over as reds dont really darken much at all especially with a good rich red ,

you could use a quasi /demi semi permanent like a Wella colour touch
(1+2 mix using 1.9%) all over there are some lovely vibrant reds to choose from in the Wella colour touch range

also you could use 4% for the darker end bits if they are overly dark
(but it may be best to tweak this the next time around ,
or do test pieces first )

you could ask your client to pick a couple of nice rich reds that she likes
and do a few test pieces first then let your client choose the tone she likes best,
also this will take away the guesswork for you

Ps, its a good idea too add some base 6 just for the roots part
to combat root glow and keep it even all over :hug: hth

application would be as normal on shampood damp towel dried hair ,
roots first with your base 6 mixed in with the chosen red colour usually half of 6 as the roots are lighter and virgin
and half the red colour and 1+2 mix with 1.9%

you can always tweak the ratio and add a bit more red to the roots the next time if needed

Then do a fresh mix of the red colour only, straight the way through to the mid lenghts and ends 1+2 mix 1.9%
:) hth

Latest posts

Back