Balayage ombré from blonde?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My client has really light blonde hair and wants a really natural kind of sunkissed balayage ombré (so you can tell but not see a definite line) she's base 6 ish naturally so going to go for a 6.3 koleston. I just wondered if anybody had any good tecniques to not get that line/ dip dye look. I've mainly done balayage from brown hair to blonde so just wanted some tips so it's not just like slapping on a root colour lol. Thanks

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1395836447.967223.jpg
Like this? (Hair was blonde first)

Yeah I suppose that kind of looks but obv I'm goin for abit darker colour. Thanks

Thanks that sounds good. I don't get the tilting the brush bit though? I was also gonna start my sections at the back then do diagonal sections round the front so it gets lighter round the front.

Just means turn your brush so its vertical x

I would personal smudge down an inch from 6.3 into something along the lines of 8.3 :p

Ahh I see 👍 thanks! Could I even do roots with 6.3 and on backcombed but put tilted brush with abit of 8.3 on aswell? Xx

Yeah you could if you wanted the colours to gradually go lighter. I saw a video where a stylist took sections, applied root colour(6.3), middle colour(8.3) then toner on ends and then just took another clean brush vertical and blended the lines through. So you can do it with or without backcomb x (I'm not very good at explaining things! Haha) x

Another thing to do would be to use colour I.D in wella, do the 6.3 on roots and comb with colour I.D then smudge into an 8 on bit lengths, it gives a really nice effect, also if you have illumina and doing it over blonde hair, as long as you use a base 7 and not a 6 in illumina you don't need to pre pigment with illumina so no fear of it turning green/ khaki, using illumina 7/31 is lovely on top of blondes.

Babychops- yeah I'm not the best at explaining things either haha! And yeah so 6.3 root, backcombed middle bit then tilt fresh brush with 8.3 on over the top of that bit? X

Ben- I've never used the ID or ilumina before. Can you explain abit more what they achieve and how to use? Thanks x

Babychops- yeah I'm not the best at explaining things either haha! And yeah so 6.3 root, backcombed middle bit then tilt fresh brush with 8.3 on over the top of that bit? X

Ben- I've never used the ID or ilumina before. Can you explain abit more what they achieve and how to use? Thanks x

If you are doing 3 colours it would prob be best to do it with no backcomb. So 6.3 on roots, 8.3 mid lengths, toner or clear on ends. Get a fresh brush with no colour on and use it vertically to blend the colours together x

If you are doing 3 colours it would prob be best to do it with no backcomb. So 6.3 on roots, 8.3 mid lengths, toner or clear on ends. Get a fresh brush with no colour on and use it vertically to blend the colours together x

Oki that's great! Thanks so much! And what of I wanted to leave a a few lighter bits coming through? I was thinking about one foil on her parting on hair line x

I'm trying to find the video of it but can't, someone posted it on here a while back x

colour I.D is a new range wella have brought out that you mix in with your colour, basically it stops colours next to each other mixing into each other if that makes sense. it makes the colour very thick and you can create lovely root drags and ombre's.

Illumina is more natural muliti-tone colour with gloss and a ash undertone rather than gold which kolleston has.

I say use illumina because the colour is made in such a way that you dont have to pre pigment from a base 6 over blonde hair, so its just an easyer job, i did a ombre over the top of long bleach hair used 30g 7/31 + 15g 7/89 on roots and about 2-3 inches, then used 8/38 on mid lengths then toned the ends down with 10/36 + pastel for a nice icey blonde, end result was a very natural tone , not too warm but not green either, just looks very natural. hope that helps!

I'm trying to find the video of it but can't, someone posted it on here a while back x

Was me I think but can't find it now lol! Think was a redken or toni n guy one

colour I.D is a new range wella have brought out that you mix in with your colour, basically it stops colours next to each other mixing into each other if that makes sense. it makes the colour very thick and you can create lovely root drags and ombre's.

Illumina is more natural muliti-tone colour with gloss and a ash undertone rather than gold which kolleston has.

I say use illumina because the colour is made in such a way that you dont have to pre pigment from a base 6 over blonde hair, so its just an easyer job, i did a ombre over the top of long bleach hair used 30g 7/31 + 15g 7/89 on roots and about 2-3 inches, then used 8/38 on mid lengths then toned the ends down with 10/36 + pastel for a nice icey blonde, end result was a very natural tone , not too warm but not green either, just looks very natural. hope that helps!

Thanks! Yeah that's helped a lot sounds great thank x

I know this was a few years ago but just wondered....did you pre colour? I have a client next with pre lightened hair wanting to do a root stretch/balayage with dream shade of a Base 6. Not sure whether to pre colour?

Latest posts

Back