Balayage went patchy!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cdawson24

Reaction score
Hi there,

I did my sisters hair in the salon yesterday, I had never tried balayage before so thought i'd try on my sister. Well she wanted a base colour aswell, so I did the base colour then applied the bleach freehand over the top in sections. I'll attach a picture of the 'good side' however the back and other side went quite patchy in places. Is this because I placed the bleach too deep into the hair?

What would be the best way to fix the patchiness? I'm so glad I did this on my sister first! I love how it turned out on the good side but the other side looks bad!

Any advice greatly appreciated, thanks x

good side

Attachments

• Fotor1116153418.jpg
    Fotor1116153418.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 1,906
You did the sections too thick and the bleach may have been too runny and ran through other bits of the hair, did you mixture bleach up for one side do u remember?
To fix I would do some foils scattered through the under neath (tease the roots and don't put any blech on the tease) then tone al the patchi midlegnths with a 7/8 level

That picture is a before and after btw, actually now you mention it I think it could have been the bleach was too runny, I made up 2 lots of bleach and the second time it was a thicker consistency and it turned out better. I'll do the foils and base colour to fix, thanks :) x

I back comb the hair and also twist sections near the top and also remember small small sections for a good blend :)

Sent from my GT-I9305 using SalonGeek mobile app

with my balayages i tend to make my formula a bit thicker. Back comb and blend with my fingers for a nice smudged softer coverage.

I think it comes down to timings on when you apply; i do my mid length and ends 1st usually 6% and to blend i use 3%. I keep a nice eye on it. (still looks fab thou) xoxo

Good work, I tend to do my balayage in a upside down letter A , so I take a inch strand of hair every few inches paint the 2 end sides very thin starting just off the scalp and as I go down the hair to the middle the colours eventually connect and becomes thickly saturated. So basically it looks very thin to heavy, also your hands must be sweeping as you apply rest hair on cotton and use suramwrap to keep sections clean, that's what balayage means to sweep

As said you need a thick bleach mixture, the point of balayage is to make the hair look naturally sunkissed so try to apply the bleach thinking about the natural way the hair would lighten- when you paint the sections you are painting the top layer of the hair in the section you take, not the entirety of the section else you end up with chunky streaks. Last one i did was a mix of two tints on long virgin hair and I alternated colours, plus also smudged them together. I also did a mix of long V shapes and small streak sections. Watch some more tutorials perhaps, but make sure to keep your hands fairly light and steady and dont push the bleach too far into the section as this will make it patchy. Feather the brush down.

Which one is before and which is after? The right looks fine to me ?

Okay I'd go over the root area again so it soaks up the color and leave the mid lengths and ends (make sure you blend it down slightly)

It just looks like the hair either didn't have enough color on it or the hair didn't absorb it well. Use the same color and just do the roots again and bend down

This is my hair I colored it myself.
I was really really blonde previously and when I first colored it, it came out wishy washy too so I just reapplied the same color to the roots and slightly blended it down the the mid lengths. I know it's a terrible photo but it's the only one I have. I found after I colored it the second time it had more depth and didn't look so wishy washy.
I know my hair is a lighter colour than your sisters but it's the same concept lol

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back