Balayage

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sam Smallman

Reaction score
Hi I hope you can help, I am newly qualified hairdresser and finding it a little hard. I did a lady's hair (mobile) and she asked for an ombré. I thought I'd give it a go and I told her I'm still learning and that it would be experience and only charged for products used. However when I did the ombré i applied the dark to the roots first and then applied the blonde to the ends with slight over lapping, I tried my best to blend the two but when I washed colours off the line looked obviously and didn't really blend. How does everyone else blend the blond in, is it best to do the root application and then go back in to do the I really after. Xx

I still do the root first then I blend into the bleach but that's entirely up to the person, I use a blur brush to blend my lines and it gives me a seamless ombré!

Thank you, I will have a look. I'm finding it stressful it looks so simple when I watch videos but when I do it just doesn't turn out the way I imagined xx

Most of balayage is practice. Visually, it really does come across so easy in those videos. But the motions take a little time to master. So don't lose too much hope! Pay attention to your pressure in application, consistency of your product, the elevation of your section your balayaging (should be 90 degrees from where it lives, like layering in cutting). You'll get it down.

Something that can get you by though until you master your application, is use a demi or semi-permanent color after you rinse the bleach out, apply on damp hair to glaze over the transition lines between your root color and your bleach, to blend out any lines you may have. For example, if you applied a level 5 on her root and then balayaged through the ends, slightly overlapping the level 5 root, glaze that overlapping general area with a demi level 6 on damp hair for 10 mins. Those lines will disappear. Then your client will still be happy with the result, and you can continue to practice your application without losing hope from a possible upset client.

Don't use it as a crutch though, only to help you grow through your application process. Balayage is visual and about feeling/pressure. It'll come with time!

Thank you all for your help, I am trying another way by applying root colour and washing off then doing balayage. I know it's longer but hopefully the results are better. Xx

Thanks again, I will post pics if it turns out ok

image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    915.1 KB
The ends didn't turn out as light as I had hoped but didn't want to leave the bleach on too long xx

Most of balayage is practice. Visually, it really does come across so easy in those videos. But the motions take a little time to master. So don't lose too much hope! Pay attention to your pressure in application, consistency of your product, the elevation of your section your balayaging (should be 90 degrees from where it lives, like layering in cutting). You'll get it down.

Something that can get you by though until you master your application, is use a demi or semi-permanent color after you rinse the bleach out, apply on damp hair to glaze over the transition lines between your root color and your bleach, to blend out any lines you may have. For example, if you applied a level 5 on her root and then balayaged through the ends, slightly overlapping the level 5 root, glaze that overlapping general area with a demi level 6 on damp hair for 10 mins. Those lines will disappear. Then your client will still be happy with the result, and you can continue to practice your application without losing hope from a possible upset client.

Don't use it as a crutch though, only to help you grow through your application process. Balayage is visual and about feeling/pressure. It'll come with time!
I m determined and I will master it, might practice on a training head xx

Latest posts

Back