Barbering query

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grace_Hair

Reaction score
I've been hairdressing for 5 years. Never have I been asked for a French crop before. Until recently. By two different men.
What is this?! How do I do it?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea as I'm not a barber. But, I'd probably Google it on my phone or iPad and then check with the client exactly what they wanted.

Obviously, a number 2 can only be a No.2 blade but in hairdressing, I think it's vital to ensure that both you and the client have the same vision in your mind before starting the service. You still need to know how they want it around their ears, hairline tapering etc.

Don't feel intimidated if you need to ask questions and check. It's better to be certain. Unfortunately, some clients expect us to be mindreaders sometimes.

I did Google and YouTube it but it just came up with short back and sides. Surely it has to be more than that?!

The clients explained the cuts completely different. But basically it was textured?!

When I've been asked for a French crop before it's usually been a no 2or 3 round back & sides, then cut short on top, used to be so they could spike it! But as other person said, always try to see a pic of their idea! X

I've been hairdressing for 5 years. Never have I been asked for a French crop before. Until recently. By two different men.
What is this?! How do I do it?!

If you go online you can join the BBA, basic membership is free and along with monthly news letters you get a quarterly barbering magazine which is amazing for keeping up to date with all of the latest barbering techniques! :) xxx

Sent from my D2303 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks Jenny. X

Looks like a lower blend at the back than a typical short back and sides?

Feeling relieved as this is basically what I did for the two gents that requested it.

Lol about 12 years ago all the lads were having french crops. That makes me feel old at 30!! But it really is just a short grade at the side with a bit of length on top & fringe(maybe and inch or so) normally chopped into/ textured to make it messy/bitty. Dont think its really called anything now though.

I worked as a barber in a barber shop 7 years & have never herd of a french crop...mind you I'm in Canada.....it seems that it is what I used to refer to as barber on the back-sides & stylist on the top! Sounds like you did it well anyways.

I love all the odd terms clients spring on us over the years! I always tell them show me what you want in pic format! Like those requesting no layers but definitly don't want a blunt cut!

In my old salon I used to have a lot of men ask for the french crop what they wanted was a grade 2 or 3 on the sides a nice blended line and textured on top I think it's a generation thing these guys were 40 odd had the same all their lives near enough since there mothers picked out what they were to have when they were back in school.

I think it's a generation thing these guys were 40 odd

Funny enough. These chaps were 40somethings.

This reminds me when I was doing my apprenticeship, we had barbers and a lady's salon, the barbers had all these funny descriptions, French crop then was pretty much as described, short clippered with a slightly longer textured fringe, then all the kids were having 'curtains' and steps and under cuts, the older men used to ask for a college boy or a Boston back! ( basically ken Barlow type of hair - short layered, side part and straight hairline!).

Lol about 12 years ago all the lads were having french crops. That makes me feel old at 30!! But it really is just a short grade at the side with a bit of length on top & fringe(maybe and inch or so) normally chopped into/ textured to make it messy/bitty. Dont think its really called anything now though.

Same as me 30 and that's the haircut all the boys had at school and they wore it spiky on the top, I remember trying to press down the spikes when boys annoyed me lol

This reminds me when I was doing my apprenticeship, we had barbers and a lady's salon, the barbers had all these funny descriptions, French crop then was pretty much as described, short clippered with a slightly longer textured fringe, then all the kids were having 'curtains' and steps and under cuts, the older men used to ask for a college boy or a Boston back! ( basically ken Barlow type of hair - short layered, side part and straight hairline!).

Haha curtains that makes me feel old,

Ok, a French crop is like the 1940's mens look....number 2 back and sides long on top blended into the number 2, top is swept in whatever direction their parting goes - bit like this...modern variations cab be slightly longer on the sides

I've done a few of these and clippered in the parting, fading it to the Crown about 3mm start graduation to a fine point

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Attachments

• 1416391034169.jpg
    1416391034169.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 60
That's what I thought it was too

Latest posts

Back