Barcelona!! :D

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sammi_xxx

Reaction score
Just booked flights and a hotel to Barcelona for 2 nights... a surprise for my Boyfriends 22nd birthday!

Has anyone been there? any 'must see' things to do ?
The hotel I booked is 15 min walk to the centre...

Barcelona is lovely, and very easy to get around.

Don't forget to visit Sadgrada Familigia (sp.?), the Gaudi House and museum, Las Ramblas, the main square where there are street entertainers and stalls ...

Wear comfy shoes and take lots of spending money to buy more shoes and bags!

Have fun.

I just love Barcelona, we went for our "minimoon" last may and it was fab!

Hotels are expense there and so we stayed slightly away from the very centre and used the metro (I think it's called) to get everywhere or the busses, getting around is so easy, so use it to your advantage.

There is so much to see and do there that it all depends on your likes and dislikes!

For 2 nights it may be worth paying to stay somewhere really special, my best advice would be to get yourself a guide book and have good read about it before you go, it sets you up properly and you'll have more time to enjoy instead of getting lost all the time.

So jealous :) might have a little noisy at flights myself now haha

I love Barcelona!

We stayed in Hotel 1898 on Las Ramblas and it was lush. It has a roof top pool and bar/restaurant with big beds and comfy seating areas all over it with fantastic views. You can still go there if you are not staying at the hotel, so I would say that was a must do stop off if you do Ramblas. It has a website, so you can see pics.

I loved the Gothic area too, which you access from Ramblas. It was a series of narrow streets, with little shops and eateries, along with the obligatory big church as a centre piece. It was really nice to wander around.

There is a big food market half way up Ramblas, which will amaze you with the array of produce. It's called La Boquaria. You have to have a walk around that, even if you don't buy anything.

At night, after dinner, we would go up to the square at the top of Ramblas and watch a band on the pavement called The Minimal Accoustic Band. They were so good we bought a couple of CD's. It's funky music, but using a dijerydoo (sp!) and bongo drums etc. They have numerous vids on youtube that people have posted and they have their own website too.

We walked from our hotel to La Sagrada Familia, as we walk everywhere on holiday, but I would never do that walk again! Get the metro, you will feel better for it once you get there.

Save some Euros and get the bus from the airport into the city, it's not long and much cheaper. You can always jump on the metro to get closer to your hotel from the main bus stop at Plaza Catalunya (the square at the top of Ramblas)

I love it!

I found flights last year at £75 day return with tax's tried to get friends to go Xmas shopping there as with what you save on the price's covers travel. Some said yeah if we stopped the night and no when it jumped to £155 lol. I just wanted to get unique gifts for people, this year I'm doing it If I do it alone xoxo

I'm going this April, can't wait! Don't forget Sephora (my boyfriend will have to suffer that too, think I'll leave him somewhere else for an hour...)

... I nearly forgot.

Don't want to put a dampner on things, but please be very ware of pick-pockets in Barcelona, especially in Las Ramblas. If possible, wear a cross-over bag, and don't go out with too much cash, credit cards or jewellery.

... I nearly forgot.

Don't want to put a dampner on things, but please be very ware of pick-pockets in Barcelona, especially in Las Ramblas. If possible, wear a cross-over bag, and don't go out with too much cash, credit cards or jewellery.
Ahhh yes ! We went to Paris last year and that is known for pickpockets too, we're very aware of them thanks though :D

I'm going this April, can't wait! Don't forget Sephora (my boyfriend will have to suffer that too, think I'll leave him somewhere else for an hour...)

Awwwww have a good time :D I cant wait to go!

We are like 15 minutes away from Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter so we'll defiantly be going there ! and all the main tourist attractions, including the beach!

Bit cold in February though haha
Thanks for all your comments guys I'm excited :D

Cocktails at the top of hotel W is a must! We got a taxi to it but I believe you can walk there from the port. As a previous poster suggested, get a guide book and plan all the places you want to see so you can squeeze as much in as possible.

I've been twice and think it's a fabulous city. Have a great time

Cocktails at the top of hotel W is a must! We got a taxi to it but I believe you can walk there from the port. As a previous poster suggested, get a guide book and plan all the places you want to see so you can squeeze as much in as possible.

I've been twice and think it's a fabulous city. Have a great time

Oooooh I'll bare that in mind :D Thanks! This is our first time to the city I'm searching the net as we speak, researching all the different places :)

Oh yeah, I forgot to say about personal safety. It's recommended that should you need to withdraw cash from an ATM, go inside the bank and do it. When I was there someone was mugged after withdrawing from the outside ATM.

A cross body bag is best and just be aware of the usual scams of 'performers' initiating a gathering of tourists with their wonderful act. It's really about not creating situations for opportunists to take advantage. Normal city safety should be enough.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say about personal safety. It's recommended that should you need to withdraw cash from an ATM, go inside the bank and do it. When I was there someone was mugged after withdrawing from the outside ATM.

A cross body bag is best and just be aware of the usual scams of 'performers' initiating a gathering of tourists with their wonderful act. It's really about not creating situations for opportunists to take advantage. Normal city safety should be enough.

Seriously? Oh dear, thanks for the heads up!

It was just a case of 'give me your money' and she handed it over. No violence, but still upsetting. This could happen anywhere though. I took the same precautions as I would in any city. We made sure we left our cash in the hotel safe and only ever took out enough for that day.

It's just about being aware, not obsessive. You're going to have a fantastic time! :D

It was just a case of 'give me your money' and she handed it over. No violence, but still upsetting. This could happen anywhere though. I took the same precautions as I would in any city. We made sure we left our cash in the hotel safe and only ever took out enough for that day.

It's just about being aware, not obsessive. You're going to have a fantastic time! :D

you can't do anything else but to give them your money though, anything could happen if you refused to :( .. its about your own safety at the end of the day. Thats what we do anyway, only take enough out for that day

Of course, we will have an amazing time :D

One of the things I love about Barcelona is that there is so much to see and do, you can save some things for another trip. :wink2:

We went down to the port, but didn't get to see the beach, so that's on the list for next time. Also, I used to watch that cable car from the rooftop, going over to Montjuic. I was trying to decide whether I wanted to risk trying it. I didn't, but will next time. :)

We got some great pics from that really tall lookout tower/monument at the bottom of Ramblas.

I'm so jealous!! I've spent a lot of time in Barcelona, my fav city in the world - loved it so much we got married there!! We were married at Hotel Claris and had our wedding breakfast at Ruccula in the World Trade Centre - what a stunning place. It snowed in April for the first time in 15 years on our wedding day!! Magical.

I could go on for hours about what you should do

You must get the Bus Turistique which has 3 routes that run intersecting at 2 or 3 common points so you can jump off one to another to all the major tourist attractions on a very regular basis.
Barcelona hop on-hop off Bus Turistic | BCN.travel

Catedral Barri Gotica
Sagrada Familia
Park Guell
Casa Batilio
La Predrera are all stops you have to get off at.

La Ramblas is like Covent Garden - great for people watching.

Tapas at the tapas bar on the Maremagnum is a must, looking out at the World Trade Centre

Supper at the Olympic Village if you are a fish lover - heaven.

A beautiful restaurant is Pla - tricky to find but the food is incredible Pla - Barcelona Restaurant - Creative cooking, modern, intimate and romantic

A beautiful place to go to discover the old spain is Poble Espanyol | Barcelona Tourism We took an amazing photo there which we had blown up and it's on one of our walls at home - it's like walking down the street everytime we see it. It's this exact street they show on the web....

Away in my own little bit of heaven now. Thanks for this thread, it's made my day thinking about the beautiful memories we have of the place.

Attachments

• epe.jpg
    epe.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 24
Wow, I wish I'd known about that village before. That's the sort of Spain I seek out, so it's firmly on the list for next time now. :)

Wow! Alot of comments on this thread :D
Can't contain my excitement!!!

unas escarlata, i do really love traditional spain, so I think that village is a must for me! I'll research that :D and also the bus tours!

bibalane, wow your sister is brave! i could never run like that, especially after a robber :/ My boyfriend probably would though :D he runs alot

nicole333, great thing about my hotel is we are near the beach and the city centre so it's great :D

I'm overwhelmed with it all tbh :D Thankyou guys on all reviews of the fantastic places you have been too x

Latest posts

Back