Be prepared: bad press for nail techs

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ch-ela

Reaction score
All the more reason to be proud to have and display your credentials! Be professional and continue to do what we all do to prevent this from happening to our clients.
I'm posting a link to this on my website. I already have a testimonial from a client who was also nicked by a credo blade during a pedicure (not by me).

I think we could use this to our advantage, rather than painting all nail techs with the same brush we can use this article to highlight to our clients that we follow strict hygiene procedures, are fully trained, use only safe products with no MMA, are fully insured, have client consultations and explain how important it is for customers to ask their salon questions about what they are doing and why. I always try to educate my clients about the products I use and why I follow the procedures I do. I feel it sets me apart from the rest. We can turn the negative article into a positive?! Xxx

But it's not to our advantage is it? The way we see it when we read it is completely different to how the public will see it, for example "the nail needs to be vigorously filed or drilled for the acrylic to stick to the nail" I KNOW that only MMA users do that and I only very lightly buff and still get 3-4 weeks but the public don't know that..
Saying that "reputable salons will belong to BABTAC" (said by BABTAC)
Our salon doesn't belong to BABTAC (And I hate the word belong in that sentence) We comply with all laws and regulations and we follow our insurers rules and routines and we are very successful and reputable, at the end of that it does say "or a similar regulatory body" but the public wont see that, they'll see all acrylic nails ruin your nails and don't go to them unless they are with BABTAC!

We can't change that the article is there so we can use it to help educate our clients. We can take each negative and show how our business isn't like that ...point out that blades shouldn't be used - unless qualified to use them etc.

Invite clients to view our qualification and membership certificates and let them know that these things would not happen with us!

I opted out from,BABTAC years ago. But spoke with them recently at one of the shows where they were talking about revisiting some of the accredited trainers to check standards...it stuck me that would a. Take years and b. Be pointless if for example the guild or VTCT still signed sub standard training up.

Regarding the article... I read it thinking ok, initial fault with the (either untrained or NSS) tech, but there must surely have been an element of neglect on the women's part or delays in seeking treatment or underlying conditions?

The last comment just irked me out. That's why so many people have had bad experience or even get hurt while getting their nails/pedis done. Because apparently anyone really can do it without any training? Right :/ did that person even read the article?

Has anyone thought about sending a response to the daily mail at all? Out of curiosity!

It's a mistake in drawing any attention to this scaremongering in my opinion. It does not good as it focuses on the negative even when countered by the positive. Most clients don't even know these stories exist so why bring them to everyones attention?

Just focus on the positive: great nails, good health and safety and the best education

Ughhhh the DailyFail are at it again then.

Give it a few days and the "worst winter before records began with 10ft snow drifts " will hit their headlines for the 8th yr running...

Use it to educate your clients on the unqualified x

Sent from my D5503 using SalonGeek mobile app

Lol...snow forecast in today's

The thing I hate most about these articles is the comments, people who think because they have nails and trim them themselves they're the best people to give advice when it comes to nail care.

Here's what you tell any customers that see the article.

On any single day, more than 200,000 women get manicures and pedicures in the UK. That's more than 60 million manicures a year! The Daily Mail could only find three people who experienced problems? That suggests how massively safe visiting a nail salon is and the level of professionalism in the industry.

I like the lady who thought it was a reputable salon that charged £15 for a manicure AND pedicure! And from the sound of it, it was in London. Totally reputable!

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi Guys,

We just wanted to join in the conversation and confirm our take on this topic which has raised much debate in the industry.

As I am sure you can appreciate, journalists are free to investigate, question and report on a topic as they like, and will gain input and information from a number of different sources. The Daily Mail approached us and we provided a lot of input and comment on the importance of choosing properly qualified individuals who also have insurance, encouraging clients to ask questions and pick the best rather than the cheapest provider. We advised that BABTAC, among others, check qualifications and provide insurance which is a mark of confidence to the client in an unregulated industry, but not that we were the only mark; if you read the article, it is clear that our stance is about choosing a professional and we believe it is important to support articles like this, encouraging the population to take responsibility and pick the best providers our fantastic industry has to offer. In cases like these, the articles will run anyway and we believe it is better that we provide balance and input than leave it solely as a opinion based article; we appreciate not everyone will agree with that.

The fact is that the industry is unregulated, and whilst in the most part that doesn't affect quality, there are a few who choose not to qualify or insure properly and who offer a sub-standard service. The article focuses on this point, however reading the public comments and feedback below, it is clear that the majority have understood the thrust of the article, commenting on the poor choices made and the great service they themselves have received. We believe this and other articles like it are a great opportunity to educate clients and potential clients, highlighting the high quality services available in the industry, and driving demand to those who are professionals and not the cowboys. It is important to note however that we do not control the full content of an article or the stance taken by its author.

Scratch Editor Alex Fox has written an excellent response and includes many of the points we originally made; we agree that the media need to cover more of the positives, however in reality, good news isn't always a best-seller, much as we would all like it to be. We are proud to operate in the beauty industry and proud of how professional most therapists are, and we believe it is important to convey this message where we can. In conjunction with providing input, we also campaign on key issues, including regulation of the industry, and earlier this year, we also looked to campaign for MMA to be banned (as it is in Australia and the US), however the topic did not gain majority support from our members and as a not-for-profit, we had to direct resource elsewhere.

We're happy to answer any specific questions you may have or opinions you would like to express.

Kind regards
The BABTAC Team

Latest posts

Back