Beautician = Bimbo

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dimples xx

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

im after reading a poll that was done among girls aged 14-18,it was for what would be there number 1 career choice,well at number 1 it was a glamour model (for fame and fortune)and then at number 2 it said beautician and reason giving for this choice is coz u dont need brains to be one,1 of these girls was quoted sayin im not that smart like you'd never see me workin in a bank,uhh!! so id go for a beauty therapist instead,oh and if u work in the beauty industry youve a better chance of pulling footballer,now that 1 made me laugh!!!!

any1 else have thoughts on this??

Makes me mad! But I get the feeling these girls couldn't do a day in the life of a therapist. I'd love for them to train, get into industry, and they'd soon get a short, sharp shock! Ha! xx

Well, I used to be a manager of an insurance company! Firstly this is far more interesting, fun and brain taxing...I work much harder now, and all of that training and experience has really paid off for running my own company...kind of a dry run for this! Also I earn far more than I did there, and the job satisfaction is better. I'm sure you'll all agree it's definitely not for bimbo's!:green:

I have students that drop out of school all the time because they werent expecting to have to learn chemistry, anatomy, electricity etc. they thought it was going to be a breeze. It wasn't

Newbie here, Have just qualified at level 2 Beauty fast track, and after time at home with children, this REALLY put the brain to work with a bit of a shock:eek: should have been called fast, fast track.

When I decided to change careers many years ago, and mentioned what I was doing most people said "your not the typical Beauty therapist" when I asked what that meant that said "we'll they are a little thick, and blonde"!! I'd like them to of sat the ITEC A&P exam!! lol...

I have just finished spitting feathers now! I just hate the way we are portrayed as being thick! and blonde, (although I have seen a few young girls who aspire to look like this), it does'nt mean we dont have any brains or know how to use our brains!:mad:

That word beautician should be removed from our vocabulary as it makes us sound like we're thick, which does'nt help our industry. I hate it when my clients call me a beautician, I am a beauty therapist and have got a hallway full of certificates to show how much training I have taken to be able to call myself a beauty therapist. Please start educating the media we are worth our prestigious titles.:rolleyes:

Its madness! I have 8 gcses, 3 a levels and a Bsc (Hons) - I used to run a pub before I retrained in beauty, nails and tanning and run my own salon! Dumb - I hope not!!

Hey everyone,

im after reading a poll that was done among girls aged 14-18,it was for what would be there number 1 career choice,well at number 1 it was a glamour model (for fame and fortune)and then at number 2 it said beautician and reason giving for this choice is coz u dont need brains to be one,1 of these girls was quoted sayin im not that smart like you'd never see me workin in a bank,uhh!! so id go for a beauty therapist instead,oh and if u work in the beauty industry youve a better chance of pulling footballer,now that 1 made me laugh!!!!

any1 else have thoughts on this??

My boyfriend plays local footie so i guess you could say there is some truth in that....lmao:lol::lol:

It's completely ridiculous! Unfortunately I have to face the same sort of comments when doing hair... they sit there in shock when I tell them just half of the stuff I had to learn!

I've only just started in the world of beauty therapy and still work full time for an Investment Manager and I can tell you that I use far more of my brain in the eves and weekends doing my treatments!!! It's been a lot harder to retrain than anyone thought! People are so narrow minded they think it's the easy way out!

Well i am blonde :lol: But certainly not stupid!
To be honest it doesnt bother me as i know whilst lots of these people that think like this are in boring jobs they hate or feel unfulfilled- I know that I am the one going to work, for myself, for good money and loving what i do. I know which scenario I think is more stupid :green:

Beauty therapy is a career choice for less academic individuals due to the low entry requirements and practical aspect of the job. Some people find it easy and some people find it hard. I went into beauty therapy because of my keen interest but I also thought it would be easy, and in my opinion I was right.

Yes there may be a bit of a work load but it is not difficult to understand nor carry out the treatments after good training. I don't mean to offend anyone but it's not rocket science.

But surely, being a good beauty therapist requires a combination of strong interpersonal skills (to communicate well with clients and put them at ease) together with the necessary practical skills (to be able to carry out treatments with the necessary proficiency) and academic skills (for understanding health & safety concerns, product knowledge, contra-indications, etc)... and, if running one's own business, skills in business management, accountancy, marketing, etc?

So, to do it *well* requires a lot of different skills in a lot of different areas... it's probably a lot easier to be a *mediocre* beauty therapist, but why settle for that when you can be the best at what you do?

I had this problem when i started training!
Some of my friends, boyfriend, and my boyfriends friends thought i was taking the easy way out by being a bimbo who puts a few nails on and a bit mascara!
Much to their amazement i gave them one of my assignments to read, witch the couldnt understand a word of cause of all the technical language and theory.

Well they never called me a bimbo again when they learnt i could take layers of their face off and potentialy blind them with a laser if they picked on my proffesion again :)

xoxo

Yes it does indeed, but its not difficult in my opinion. It just takes pratice, enthusiasm and dedication, along with your own natural abilities, good personallity and life skills, you don't need to be academic for that, but again this is only my opinion, everybody's different:)

To a certain extent I guess it depends what course you do - certainly the NVQ levels 2 & 3 that I did are very academically challenging - the anatomy & physiotherapy modules are harder than those studied by nurses, the electrical theory was very challenging, the requirements to have assignments to a certain level of grammar was also very challenging (for more than others). Studying, learning and remembering all the salon hygiene was very hard too but so, so useful now!
I love my job, find it utterly fulfilling and constantly challenging but having studied for an Institute of Management Diploma I can hand on heart say that I found my Beauty course a lot harder than I ever imagined it would be.
I don't think that it is possible to be as academically challenged in an intensive one-day or one-week course.
Until the industry is standardised there will always be people who think we are bimbos - let them, and smile to yourself.:lol:

I doubt nvq2 and nvq3 a + p is more difficult that a diploma or a degree in nursing. I am basing my opinion on my mother's essays, notes and books.

NVQ's are vocational courses which are competence-based. This means that it is a more practical course with related underpinning knowledge. Some people may find the theory difficult, but it is usually around 30% theory and 70% practical which is suited for more "practical" individuals, which is why people with low GCSE grades for instance, decide to study such courses.

It wouldn't bother me if people thought I was less intelligent because I'm a beauty therapist, firstly because I enjoy my job and choose to do it through interest and secondly because I know I am intelligent. I think people only get offended if it hits a sore spot. People are quick to judge people by their profession and well as first impressions, so if you act like a bimbo people will assume you are a bimbo

Yes girls and boys but this is why there are so many courses both private and college that are full of students. Where do they all go? These are the girls that give up and dissolve into thin air as soon as they realise that brains might have been an essential ingredient in succeeding in this industry! :)

Erm, I quite look forward to being called a bimbo, lol! I am blonde though so half way there!! Whats the blokes equivalent?........
Don't answer that girls, I'm very sensitive! lol
Russ

Latest posts

Back