Beauticians working from home

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anastasia Vasic

Reaction score
Hi guys:)
I was just wondering if you advertise your businesses if you work from home?
I have a salon at home, and all my clients I have are from word of moth. I never advertised, because as I work on my own, I'm a bit worried to have strangers in my house. On the other hand, I wold love to get more clients, and the only solution I can see is advertising.
Are you advertising your businesses? If yes, have you ever had any dodgy people from it or any problems with clients? Any advice, please:hug:
Will be thankful for your help:)

yes, forgot to ask something. If you advertise, how do you do it? And what do you think is the most effective way to promote your business?

Hi I have a German Shepherd so they see him when they come in so hopefully he would stop them if they was up to something he doesn't roam the house just sits at the kitchen door but hopefully knowing he is there may deter them it's mainly friends and family I do at the moment but have had a few strangers ring and have their nails done and the dog hasn't bothered them he looks bad but he is as soft a bear lol. Always get someone to ring while you are with the customer and say they can come round in say half an hour pretend like they are a client coming round, you can usually tell when they ring have a chat with them and if they sound strange then just say you are busy. :)

Hi guys:)
I was just wondering if you advertise your businesses if you work from home?
I have a salon at home, and all my clients I have are from word of moth. I never advertised, because as I work on my own, I'm a bit worried to have strangers in my house. On the other hand, I wold love to get more clients, and the only solution I can see is advertising.
Are you advertising your businesses? If yes, have you ever had any dodgy people from it or any problems with clients? Any advice, please:hug:
Will be thankful for your help:)

I don't work from home but business is business at the end of the day.

As they say though, why fix what isn't broken. If you get lots of recommendations already, (well done) why not set up a proper referral system going to improve on this.

What you save in advertising costs you could use to reward your clients for their referral.

I have been a nail technician for 13 years i do mobile and work from home and can honestly say that i have never been to a house or had anyone to my house to cause any concern i have advertised a couple of times and never had much success with that the best is word and mouth and even with this credit crunch i have only just finished for the day and done 10 re balances and 2 forever french full sets and thats all through word and mouth :Grope:

I don't get any strange clients in my home salon either. Strange people are just as likely to go to any other salon.

I do a lot of advertising and get quiete good results from most of it. I have a section on my client cards for clients to let me know how they heard about me, this way I can monitor my advertising methods to see which are working for me.

At the moment I am delivering 100 flyers per week on a Sunday with special deals for new clients. I print and deliver these myself so it doesn't cost me much. I get about 4 new clients per week from this, however the majority of these clients only come for the specials.

I have a business card size ad in the yellow pages listing all my services and opening hours (I'm open all day Saturday, most other salons are not).
I've only had the ad for 1 month and have gained about 5 new clients each week from this, most have become regular nail clients. I don't expect to keep getting this many now that Christmas is over though.

Word of mouth is a fantastic form of advertising, I'm in the process of starting a referral program to boost this even more.

I always try to wear something eye-catching on my own nails and carry business cards with me incase someone comments on them.

I have a detailed website too, it comes up quite high in a google search, a lot of clients have seen my flyers or phone book ad then gone on to my website for further info before booking.

I'm hoping to have a TV ad for next Christmas - I'm hoping that will bring in a lot of business. I've also tried a lot of methods that didn't work at all so it's important to constantly monitor your advertising and know what work for you.

Sorry that was so long, I do lots more advertising but won't bore everyone even further, lol.

I work from home and have always advertised in the local paper (effective when doing special offers) and i find leaflet drops really effective too, just have to remember which areas you've already targeted :)

Ive never had anyone strange in my home but when people are coming round and have to walk through my home i always put keys/purse/money thats laying about out of the way. Not because im untrusting but if the temptations not there then there cant be a problem, and also i once lost my purse but was able to rule out any of my clients taking it because i know i always put it out of the way (turns out i left it in sainsbury, but thats a different story)

xxx

Hi I have a German Shepherd so they see him when they come in so hopefully he would stop them if they was up to something he doesn't roam the house just sits at the kitchen door but hopefully knowing he is there may deter them it's mainly friends and family I do at the moment but have had a few strangers ring and have their nails done and the dog hasn't bothered them he looks bad but he is as soft a bear lol. Always get someone to ring while you are with the customer and say they can come round in say half an hour pretend like they are a client coming round, you can usually tell when they ring have a chat with them and if they sound strange then just say you are busy. :)

Hi i have the same a big bear so yes one look at him and thats enough! he dosnt roam house just utility area in the day so he does his job good.Like stated you would probly have a rough idea what they are going to be like when you speak to them, a womens gut instint and all that.Good luck xx:hug:

P.S Major is in my profile pics if you wanted to see him xx

I work from home, and yes I do advertise.

Usually by leaflet drops that go in what we call "publisac". It's a company that collects all the leaflets from the stores, and you get them delivered to you once a week in a 'bag' hung from your door or mailbox.
It's 45$ per 1000 flyers distributed, I pick where, and I provide the leaflets. I usually get min of 3 calls per 1000. So, they usually pay for themselves. Newspaper ads I found to be useless as I couldn't afford a very big space and no one noticed the 'small' ads.

After I've taken a call, and booked them; I'll ask "do you have any allergies" and usually it's 'no'. I'll then say, because as I do work from home and have 2 small pets", I have to be concerned for that. Usually they'll ask about my pets and be very receptive and tell me they look forward to meeting George. I emphasize how most cats are more dangerous than my old decrepit and arthritic George who is 14, and once he gets his love at the door, he trots off for another nap. They usually laugh.
All my current clients are in love with him and bring him treats sometimes:lol:

As I don't take walk-in's and book by appointment only, I have no worries. The bulk of my clients are referrals. I usually get a good feel for a client over the phone. I never take a newbie during the day, until after I've met them. Brand new 'newbies' are at night only when my hubby is home. The odd occasion someone has asked if they can bring boyfriend along, and I just book them in the evening. You just 'never know'.

Thanks so much for all your answers:hug:
I will try to advertise my business and as it was said will book new clients in the evenings, so my husband is home.
Thanks a lot again,:hug::hug::hug:

Back