Beauty | Death Due To Treatment In Hong Kong

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
After the death of a 46 year old lady, officials in Hong Kong are calling for stricter regulations over the beauty industry. The lady died on Wednesday after receiving a blood transfusion that promises to enhance vitality and make you look younger, better, fresher.

The treatment includes the extraction of blood, which is then concentrated and processed and infused back into the body. It has been explored as a possible treatment for cancer patients in Europe and around the world but has never been proven as an effective cosmetic treatment.

Three other women were hospitalised and remain in hospital after undergoing the same treatment and complaining of vomiting and headaches. They have since been diagnosed with septic shock. Their blood has been found to contain mycobacterium abscesses which is related to the bacteria that causes leprosy and tuberculosis.

At least 44 other people have received the treatment. The salon has stopped offering it but remains open.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• blood.jpg
    blood.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 919
Wow, that is scary stuff, and a scary treatment! My condolenses go out to those affected by all of this but this is surely an extreme procedure that really needs to be stopped until thorough research and signing off have been conducted.

Blimey.. I can't think of anything else to say o_O

I know several Austrian's who have been doing this for years, not to look younger, but for "health benefits"...................apparently.

Oh my goodness whatever next. I'm sorry but what a silly thing to be doing (my opinion obvs)

And the salon is still open....:-s

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Oh my! Why on earth would you let someone do that to you in the first place let alone pay then?

What a stupid thing to do! :/

Thats just screwed up!!

How many more horror stories do we need to tighten this game up!?

The boundaries are being pushed further and further and becoming more and more blurred between which is a medical treatment and which a beauty treatment. Botox, teeth whitening, derma-brasion, etc. Blood transfusions?? What next?

Medical treatment should be done by educated and competent medical people ... that is not happening. Time to tighten up the laws surrounding these treatments and start prosecuting those performing them who are not qualified to do so.

There obviously is a market there ... people need to smarten up though as to whom they choose to perform them.

geeg, you beat me to it!! i was just about to say that i wouldnt class this a beauty treatment, the same as i dont class botox etc as beauty treatments per se. to me these are all medical invasive treatments, somthing which i as a beauty therapist also do not strive for and cannot see how other therapists would either. i will applaud the day when the laws are tightened.

i have to say though what kind of person would go into a "beauty salon" and want a blood transfusion????the mind boggles!!!

As someone who has received life saving blood transfusions I cannot comprehend the stupidity of people willing to risk all for the sake of vanity. It is so depressing that looks mean so much to some people they ignore the risks and some unfortunates then pay with their lives. Absolutely shocking

geeg, you beat me to it!! i was just about to say that i wouldnt class this a beauty treatment, the same as i dont class botox etc as beauty treatments per se. to me these are all medical invasive treatments, somthing which i as a beauty therapist also do not strive for and cannot see how other therapists would either. i will applaud the day when the laws are tightened.

i have to say though what kind of person would go into a "beauty salon" and want a blood transfusion????the mind boggles!!!

I can't disagree with you, hun.

This absolutely shocking...not something I can comprehend sounds positively frankenstineon to me and extreme. I am so very sorry the this terrible tragedy and offer my condolences.

My question is to why this is considered as a beauty treatment :| It's a medical procedure...

After the death of a 46 year old lady, officials in Hong Kong are calling for stricter regulations over the beauty industry. The lady died on Wednesday after receiving a blood transfusion that promises to enhance vitality and make you look younger, better, fresher.

The treatment includes the extraction of blood, which is then concentrated and processed and infused back into the body. It has been explored as a possible treatment for cancer patients in Europe and around the world but has never been proven as an effective cosmetic treatment.

Three other women were hospitalised and remain in hospital after undergoing the same treatment and complaining of vomiting and headaches. They have since been diagnosed with septic shock. Their blood has been found to contain mycobacterium abscesses which is related to the bacteria that causes leprosy and tuberculosis.

At least 44 other people have received the treatment. The salon has stopped offering it but remains open.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Buyer Beware! Not sure who would get a blood transfusion for any other purpose than saving their life! Oh my!

Iv had a major b/transfusion to save my life! it's certainly not something I would ever consider other than medical reasons, these people need to learn how to look after themselves the old fashioned way, good diet, exercise looking after their skin etc!

Iv never been the same since mine! Must have got a cold persons blood in always freezing not to mention always weak and full of flu

Is this like the vampire facial I've been hearing about? For the life of me can't remember where I saw it now, but it was something about taking blood from your arm and then having it injected in your face?

Latest posts

Back