Beauty NVQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadenceAlex

Reaction score
Is it best to learn this in college or go to a private training place? Either one will cost.

I have applied to the two local colleges - one is brilliant, it's a Part-Time course for 1 year on a Tuesday from 10-6pm. With it being only one day a week, I can get cheaper childcare rates in the creche (whether they'll take all three that day.. I don't know!)...

.. also, is it possible to go straight to Level 3 seeing as the requirements are only 5 GCSE's and above? (For the level 3) Or do you have to have Level 2 beforehand?

I know you can skip Level 1 to go straight to Level 2... but not sure on this!

I guess it is down to convenience as it is difficult to tell how good the training will be unless you know somebody that has been there.

As regards going to level 3, it comes down to which treatments you want to be able to carry out, as the basics are not covered on level 3 like waxing, facials, eye treatments etc.

It is the more advanced/holistic treatments on level 3 so you need to decide which treatments you wish to qualify in!

HTH

You have to do level 2 first to be able to progress to level 3 (unless anythings changed !)

Personally I would go for the college route. I have not done any training at a private school so I can't really say how good it is/isn't but it wouldn't be something I would consider if I was starting over again.

Hi cadencealex I very much doubt you would be able to skip level 2 as this is where you learn your manicure pedicure facials make-up and waxing. Level 3 is more about electrical. I have seen private courses that just do bits from level 2 and full body massage (level 3) I think you would be better off starting at the level 2 as you do learn alot. This is just my opinion. good luck with whatever you choose.
Lisa
xxxx

I guess it is down to convenience as it is difficult to tell how good the training will be unless you know somebody that has been there.

As regards going to level 3, it comes down to which treatments you want to be able to carry out, as the basics are not covered on level 3 like waxing, facials, eye treatments etc.

It is the more advanced/holistic treatments on level 3 so you need to decide which treatments you wish to qualify in!

HTH

Righto... thanks for that... I want to cover the basics more than the machinery side of things... iyswim...

im doing level 2 now and it is a definate requirement for Level 3, but you can skip level one and go straight into level 2 if you have the requirements that are stated, grades etc. hth x

Glad to be of help -

p.s. - what does iyswim mean - sorry I being thick again! :lol:

p.p.s - forgot to add I did do my level 2 with a girl that completed level 3 before she decided to do level 2! Think it all depends on the college you go to.

Glad to be of help -

i - if
y - you
s - see
w - what
i - i
m - mean

hth xx

Glad to be of help -

p.p.s - forgot to add I did do my level 2 with a girl that completed level 3 before she decided to do level 2! Think it all depends on the college you go to.
Hi Oey,no college will allow you to do a VTCT,NVQ level 3 without doing a level 2 firs , it is standard practice and there is a very good reason why this is so.

Level 1 is for people without the correct qualifications(from school)
Level 2 is your waxing,manicure,pedicure,make-up etc,also covers A & P.
Level 3 you must have your body massage and level 2.This is so you have all relevent A&P as it's a damned tough course and one that you couldn't do without the A&P from the previous 2 qualifications.

If you didn't do level 2 you would not have a clue where any of the relevant facial muscles or body muscles were so it would be impossible to carry out say, faradic,galvanic treatments.You wouldn't be able to carry out electrolysis as you wouldn't know anything about the hair structure oh the list goes on.

Just wanted to make this clear to geeks so they are aware of how the NVQ system works,I know its still like this as have a friend who's about to go down the NVQ road.

I know there are certain short courses that you can do some electrical units without having to do level 2 but these aren't NVQ level 3's only certain units.Hth:green:

You are dead right Babs where Level 3 should not be done before level 2, but I do know of a case where it did happen and unfortunately I believe that this proves the state some of our colleges are in today!

This wasnt done in an underhanded way either - the tutors were fully aware that the person involved hadnt done level 2 and allowed her to do it the year after her level 3.

Lets hope colleges dont allow it to happen anymore!

You have to do level 2 first to be able to progress to level 3 (unless anythings changed !)

Personally I would go for the college route. I have not done any training at a private school so I can't really say how good it is/isn't but it wouldn't be something I would consider if I was starting over again.

hey you took the words right out of my mouth

good luck with your course, you will get loads of help from the geeks here

You are dead right Babs where Level 3 should not be done before level 2, but I do know of a case where it did happen and unfortunately I believe that this proves the state some of our colleges are in today!

This wasnt done in an underhanded way either - the tutors were fully aware that the person involved hadnt done level 2 and allowed her to do it the year after her level 3.

Lets hope colleges dont allow it to happen anymore!
I hear what you are saying Oey but dont understand how anyone can do their level 3 without having the knowledge of level 2.It's like working as a head chef in a top London restaurant when you have only worked in a burger van.

How did this person manage to know where to place any electrodes? I see by your profile that you are level 2 qualified not level 3 so you obviously weren't in her class,no disrespect but are you sure this wasn't just a case of gossip mongering?

As I said I'm not being funny with you Oey but I cannot understand how anyone could do level 3 without level 2,you have 1 tutor in a class,she tells everyone they are going to do body faradics,how would this person know where the origins and insertions of the muscles were in order to place the electrodes????The 1 lecturer is not going to have time to take this student to one side and quickly explain where all the muscles are etc.

Then they have a faradic facial lesson,how would this person know where her facial muscles were to work on if she hadn't done her level 2.?

Sorry to keep on but I feel this needs to be made clear.:green: Anyone who has a level 3 will know where I am coming from.

I hear what you are saying Oey but dont understand how anyone can do their level 3 without having the knowledge of level 2.It's like working as a head chef in a top London restaurant when you have only worked in a burger van.

How did this person manage to know where to place any electrodes? I see by your profile that you are level 2 qualified not level 3 so you obviously weren't in her class,no disrespect but are you sure this wasn't just a case of gossip mongering?

As I said I'm not being funny with you Oey but I cannot understand how anyone could do level 3 without level 2,you have 1 tutor in a class,she tells everyone they are going to do body faradics,how would this person know where the origins and insertions of the muscles were in order to place the electrodes????

Then they have a faradic facial lesson,how would this person know where her facial muscles were to work on if she hadn't done her level 2.?

Sorry to keep on but I feel this needs to be made clear.:green: Anyone who has a level 3 will know where I am coming from.

She was doing her level 2 the same time as I did my level 2, which was the year after she did her level 3. I do know it fact as the same tutor that did her level 3 also taught out level 2. As I havent done level 3 not sure how she coped with some of the issues you mentioned, one thing I can say is (how can I say without being rude) that I soon learned that some of the students passed the course with not very good skills, purely on the grounds that they stayed till the end of the course! Not becuase they were good at what they did! (now believe that the tutors arent allowed to fail anybody on the NVQ).

She was doing her level 2 the same time as I did my level 2, which was the year after she did her level 3. I do know it fact as the same tutor that did her level 3 also taught out level 2. As I havent done level 3 not sure how she coped with some of the issues you mentioned, one thing I can say is (how can I say without being rude) that I soon learned that some of the students passed the course with not very good skills, purely on the grounds that they stayed till the end of the course! Not becuase they were good at what they did! (now believe that the tutors arent allowed to fail anybody on the NVQ).
Sorry Oey,but there were several students that failed their level 3 in my class,so that is not true.

Not particularly in this industry - but most others - NVQ were specifically for people who would/could not ordinarily attain rigid qualifications like A Levels - the whole education standard was made alot easier and with ongoing exams.. gaining Pass Merit or distinction whilst either training part time or through work...

... and with NVQ's in the likes of Customer Services being so easy you could do them asleep.. you would think they wouldn't NEED to pass people just for attending the course.

What good is a certificate if you haven't earned it?

As I said I'm not being funny with you Oey but I cannot understand how anyone could do level 3 without level 2,you have 1 tutor in a class,she tells everyone they are going to do body faradics,how would this person know where the origins and insertions of the muscles were in order to place the electrodes????The 1 lecturer is not going to have time to take this student to one side and quickly explain where all the muscles are etc.

I know that in my college there was no way you could do level 3 without doing level 2, same as babs i'm not sure how a person would even be able to do level 3 without level 2 knowledge.

However oey, i don't doubt that this college somehow managed to qualify this girl, but to me that shows the negligence and obvious incompetance of the tutors and personally i wouldn't want to do my training there at all.
IMO!! :green:

Not particularly in this industry - but most others - NVQ were specifically for people who would/could not ordinarily attain rigid qualifications like A Levels - the whole education standard was made alot easier and with ongoing exams.. gaining Pass Merit or distinction whilst either training part time or through work...

... and with NVQ's in the likes of Customer Services being so easy you could do them asleep.. you would think they wouldn't NEED to pass people just for attending the course.

What good is a certificate if you haven't earned it?

I think it depends on the level of the NVQ ?

I have no idea what Level 1/2 are but Level 3 ( in any industry) is the eqivalant of an A Level so I believe. Also is there a Level 4 ?

Maybe someone could clarify this ?

I know what you mean about the Customer Service, the one i did was basic common sense ! :lol:

I have no idea what Level 1/2 are but Level 3 ( in any industry) is the eqivalant of an A Level so I believe. Also is there a Level 4 ?

I know what you mean about the Customer Service, the one i did was basic common sense ! :lol:

Yes I do appreciate that the higher the level, the more qualified and more respect is earned.... BUT... a monkey can get to Level 3 and 4 by just plodding along through the levels, by the looks of it. Start at level one and in 4 years you could have a Level 4 and STILL be unable to write your name properly!

My husband is an NVQ assessor and yes level 3 is equivalent to an A level and yes there is a level 4 and 5.

Latest posts

Back