Beauty NVQ

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I do appreciate that the higher the level, the more qualified and more respect is earned.... BUT... a monkey can get to Level 3 and 4 by just plodding along through the levels, by the looks of it. Start at level one and in 4 years you could have a Level 4 and STILL be unable to write your name properly!
Have you actually done a level 3 in beauty therapy CadenceAlex ????

Yes I do appreciate that the higher the level, the more qualified and more respect is earned.... BUT... a monkey can get to Level 3 and 4 by just plodding along through the levels, by the looks of it. Start at level one and in 4 years you could have a Level 4 and STILL be unable to write your name properly!

So your saying if a therapist has started at NVQ1 and worked her way up to level 3 or 4, they must have the intelligence of a monkey!!!! You do realise this is a forum for beauty therapists, some of whom have done or are doing NVQ1 and working thier way up the levels!!!!

Have you actually done a level 3 in beauty therapy CadenceAlex ????

No and please read ALL of my posts. If you can pass each Level just by being on the course.. then it figures that people could get from Level 1 to 4 by just simply being there.

I was referring to what Oey was saying and generalizing about NVQ's - eg Customer Services. I specifically stated not so much with Beauty -
as it is more hands on and there has never been a 'formal' course for it - such as an A Level or a GCSE. There are however, formal courses for IT for example, such as A Levels .. yet people can do NVQ's which are broken down into easier options

So your saying if a therapist has started at NVQ1 and worked her way up to level 3 or 4, they must have the intelligence of a monkey!!!! You do realise this is a forum for beauty therapists, some of whom have done or are doing NVQ1 and working thier way up the levels!!!!

No that is not what I am saying at all. Oey stated that people are passing from just being on the course. I am saying that if that is the case, people can work their way up easily.

And I reiterate, what good is a certificate if it is unearned?

And yes of course I realise what this forum is :rolleyes:

No and please read ALL of my posts. If you can pass each Level just by being on the course.. then it figures that people could get from Level 1 to 4 by just simply being there.

I was referring to what Oey was saying and generalizing about NVQ's - eg Customer Services. I specifically stated not so much with Beauty -
as it is more hands on and there has never been a 'formal' course for it - such as an A Level or a GCSE. There are however, formal courses for IT for example, such as A Levels .. yet people can do NVQ's which are broken down into easier options
Well in answer to that as I said earlier you can NOT PASS your NVQ's just by being there,that is rubbish.I know of several people who failed at my college.

I find it quite insulting that it has been said that anyone can pass their NVQ's.If you have a level 1 dosn't mean tha you can get a level 2 and if you have a level 2 dosn't mean that you can get a level 3.Each level is another jump and it gets harder and harder,believe me.I have done it.Lots of therapists stop at level 2.

I worked damned hard for my qualifications,sometimes I was up til 3 am studying.It was one of the hardest things I have ever done in my life and I felt a huge sense of achievement when I qualified.

Looking at our local college website, to get onto ANY level 3 course you need 4 GCSE's Grade C or above - to get onto Level 2 , you need 4 D's and above. That is why I was confused, as judging by the college site... I could go straight to Level 3 as I have achieved the grades necessary.

It is called a Passort to Education.

Advanced Level (L3)
A minimum of four GCSE passes at Grade C or above or successful completion of an Intermediate level programme.
A successful College interview, which may involve discussion about your Record of Achievement or Progress Log
Intermediate Level (L2)
Normally four GCSE passes at Grade D or above or successful completion of a Foundation Level programme.
A successful College interview, which may involvediscussion about your Record of Achievement or Progress Log
Foundation Level (L1)
Two GCSEs at Grades D to G or successful completion of an entry level programme of study.
A successful College interview, which may involve discussion about your Record of Achievement or Progress Log
Entry Level (EL)
A satisfactory school report.

No that is not what I am saying at all. Oey stated that people are passing from just being on the course. I am saying that if that is the case, people can work their way up easily.

And I reiterate, what good is a certificate if it is unearned?

And yes of course I realise what this forum is :rolleyes:

relax, i was only half joking!!!:green: :green:

Reguardless of what people think of other NVQ's, Beauty Therapy is hard work and you need to do a hell of a lot more than "just turn up" to pass.

At the end of the day I believe that the proof of how effective your treatments are, are when you are out in the real world with clients day in and day out is the best qualification you can get.

This is what you know that all your effort and hard work at college has paid off. I am pretty sure that those that didnt take their college course seriously wont be in this industry very long!

relax, i was only half joking!!!:green: :green:

Reguardless of what people think of other NVQ's, Beauty Therapy is hard work and you need to do a hell of a lot more than "just turn up" to pass.

Well I can get my head around waxing.. but those muscles Babsann mentioned... :eek:

Looking at our local college website, to get onto ANY level 3 course you need 4 GCSE's Grade C or above - to get onto Level 2 , you need 4 D's and above. That is why I was confused, as judging by the college site... I could go straight to Level 3 as I have achieved the grades necessary.

Advanced Level (L3)
A minimum of four GCSE passes at Grade C or above or successful completion of an Intermediate level programme.
Intermediate Level (L2)
Normally four GCSE passes at Grade D or above or successful completion of a Foundation Level programme.
A successful College interview, which may involvediscussion about your Record of Achievement or Progress Log
Foundation Level (L1)
Two GCSEs at Grades D to G or successful completion of an entry level programme of study.
Entry Level (EL)

I dont know what college this is taken from but can tell you that I cannot see any college taking someone on at level 3 without having level 2 for all the reasons I have already stated.You dont mention if the college is talking about any NVQ or if it is talking about NVQ beauty therapy,I would be tempted to think that it was NOT talking about beauty therapy,for reasons I have mentioned.

4 GCSE's at level c or above does not give you any knowledge of the things you need to know to enable you to do level 3 therefore I cannot understand how this college is saying this is all that is needed.

I have made my point,I dont have a college prospectus to give details from on here but I know for a fact that you HAVE to have a level 2 and a level 3 massage in order to do a level 3 at my college and many other colleges.

Well I can get my head around waxing.. but those muscles Babsann mentioned... :eek:

Exactly, not only do you have to learn mucles but all the bones, all the body systems ie endocrine, digestive, nervous etc. and for my qualification we had to get 100% on our exams to pass.

Also for waxing you have know the hair growth cycle inside out and the different types of hair. It's not just about pulling the strip off!

Its worth all the hard work tho. :)

At the end of the day I believe that the proof of how effective your treatments are, are when you are out in the real world with clients day in and day out is the best qualification you can get.

This is what you know that all your effort and hard work at college has paid off. I am pretty sure that those that didnt take their college course seriously wont be in this industry very long!

I see what you're saying Oey and yes working in the real world is crucial to gaining the experience and confidence with your treatments,however without a formal qualification you cannot get insurance and you cannot do a lot else either.

Advanced Level (L3)
Intermediate Level (L2)
Foundation Level (L1)
Entry Level (EL)

It might be worth going into each course individually for a more detailed description for example,

Level 2 Beauty depending on the college you go to some require no qualifications at all entry is by interview only & others require 4 GCSES at C Grade. This is based on my local colleges so others are probably different for Level 2.

Level 3, every single college I have looked at local & nationwide lists NVQ LV 2 (or equivalant eg, CIBTAC) as the entry requirements.

I would have thought it to be impossible to enter a LV 3 in beauty therapy without Lv 2 (or equiv) as how on earth could anyone do a facial electrics treatment when they have no idea how to do even a basic cleanse never mind a massage routine !

Its like learning to run before you can walk.

Exactly, not only do you have to learn mucles but all the bones, all the body systems ie endocrine, digestive, nervous etc. and for my qualification we had to get 100% on our exams to pass.

Also for waxing you have know the hair growth cycle inside out and the different types of hair. It's not just about pulling the strip off!

Its worth all the hard work tho. :)

im doing my NVQ 2 at the moment and we have to get a 100% in all our exams to pass, it is really hard work but like the others have said, i personally find my level 2 very intense, i dont understand why a college would allow someone to sign up for L3 without a L2 qualification? As so much of L2 is a foundation for L3, although i know of some NVQ's where you can do L2 & L3 concurrently.

I too am doing my NVQ 2 and think it is quite an intense course, I have to study very hard, however there are some girls in the class that just can't be bothered turn up when they feel like it, never do clients and they get loads of help from the tutor. I got 100% on both facial and A&P exam first time and some of others were getting 40%, our poor tutor was at her wits end as she knows that in order to pass them she will have to give them more time than they deserve. It can be frustrating but I do think that colleges have to get a certain pass rate.
For the college that I go to I think you need 4GCSE's c or above for level 2, I have 3 but as a mature student they consider life experience.
Lisa
xxxx

Latest posts

Back