Beauty room within home advice please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beckiemariya

Reaction score
I am newly trained up in a number of beauty treatments I am currently carrying out treatments in my home for close friends and family members but I was thinking about actually converting my back bedroom into a beauty room and start advertising to the public what do I need to do to comply with legal standards etc I have read that many people have beauty rooms in there home but surely you can't just pop a beauty couch up and start taking clients.

I am getting insured by the beauty guild but what else do I need to consider when setting up.

Thank you x

Speak to your local council they helped me the only thing I had to was follow habia rules, and have a proper way of disposing my rubbish

Thank you I shall give them as call do they have to come round to check the premisses for health and safety etc? X x

It depends on your council. I literally put a couch in my treatment room and started work. No one was interested.

Is a good idea to contact them to check, but for a lot of people there is no visit, nothing!

Good luck

Vicki x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you for your helpful answers. Very grateful 😊 x

nobody came to check mine either they just sent me some forms to fill in and i had to draw a layout of my house but apart from that nothing.
if you do massage check with the council if you need a license

Same here - I've just moved out of a hairdressers into my home. I've converted my dinning room into a beauty room. I'm still studying so will use mine to practice level 3 massage but I also have clients. I called loads of people and they were only concerned that loads of cars would turn up - I only expect to have 10 max per week as I work full-time too - not interested - happy days!

Would I have inform the beauty guild about this as they will be my provide of beauty insurance x

As well as having treatment insurance, you also have to inform your house insurance that you will be running a business in your home and members of the public will be visiting. Your treatment insurance doesn't cover if a client was to slip or fall in your home, your house insurance will do this and your premium will be a little more as you will also be slightly higher risk of theft. If you don't own your own home you also have to get permission from the landlord and if you have a mortgage you have to inform the mortgage provider to get their ok as the loan wouldn't have been agreed on it being a business x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

It depends where you live but I needed a special treatments licence from the council. They came to check my room out to check that I was following proper sanitisation and health and safety rules. The plans of my house were passed on to the local fire services who assessed the areas used. It did seem like such a big deal when only doing a few clients a week from home but Im glad of the peace of mind :) I think it's only in London boroughs though but it's best to check just to be on the safe side xx

I'm not sure if your post was just regarding insurance & council or if you wanted know all legal aspects of running a business? If so, don't forget the joys of record-keeping, accounts & tax return! Ohhhh the bane of my life :'(

mooey I'm clueless about starting up I'm open to advise about the legal side etc. I have heard of a few people who just set up and not include the council there insurance and don't keep track to pay taxes which is wrong and unprofessional if I am to start up I want to ensure I do so correctly and legally.

I plan to keep my 32 hour job at my local supermarket at the minute but do this on my evenings/days off. I don't think I will be doing that many treatments on clients per week at the minute so not 100% how much I will earn. I currently earning approx £850 after tax and national insurance xxx

I read lots of books about setting up in business and one of the best was by reflexologist Jane Sheehan, called Sole Trader. Also, as the others have said, contact your local council and let your home insurance know. Another thing which I read somewhere years ago but not sure if it's still relevant. I keep a wardrobe in my home salon so that it has a dual purpose. Apart from a salon, it's also my personal room and can turn into a guest room.

Latest posts

Back