Beauty | Schoolgirl Victim Of Cutting Corners In Beauty Treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Ed.

Reaction score
A beauty salon in Solihull, West Midlands, are currently wishing they hadn't bypassed the all-important patch test after a teenage school girl has had an adverse reaction to an eyebrow tint she was being 'treated' to the day before her holiday to Greece.

Thirteen-year old Megan Billingsley went for an eyebrow wax as a treat before her holiday and the therapist offered her a tint. The school girl informed her that she had had adverse reactions to dyes before but said she would "risk it". The therapists went ahead with the treatment without conducting a patch test.

The next day, her eyebrows were red and she attempted to wash the last of the dye off her skin. By the time she got to Greece, violent blisters had appeared and her eyes were so swollen she couldn't see. She was treated in Greece but spent the whole holiday suffering from severe headaches. Her hair feel out of her eyebrows as well and her mother, Caroline, says it has affected her terribly.

"It’s knocked her confidence loads. A 13-year-old shouldn’t be feeling self-conscious about her face."

Patch tests may delay things and clients may try and tell you they're not necessary, but it's simply not worth the risk.

Until then...geek on!

The Ed.

Attachments

• ad_139378449.jpg
    ad_139378449.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 1,456
Wowzers...if they're not even insisting on it in colleges,what hope have they at being responsible therapists when they graduate?

Sent from my HTC One V using SalonGeek mobile app

In hairdressing, new EU legislation states that hair Colorants cannot be used on under 16s, I'm surprised it's not the same for beauty as the dyes for brow tinting are no different to hair dyes?

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

The tint/dye used for lashes/brows is of a much lower percentage than that of a hair dye. You would never ever use a hair dye on your lashes or brows so they aren't really the same at all. Though of course the theory is the same where we mix the peroxide with the colour and then see a colour change :)

Back on topic, I cannot believe any salon would go ahead and do a tint on anyone without a patch test. It still really grates on me how salons are more worried about turning away a potential client than doing an eyelash/brow tint on somebody without a patch test. Ultimately clients will respect a salon who explains why they need a patch test, quickly does it, and then books them in for the next available slot.

I've been in salons when I first qualified, where I was told by my boss not to worry about a patch test. I was mortified. Then we have the good old boss who tells you to just get the client to sign a disclaimer.....freshly qualified therapist trusts her boss and goes ahead....little does she/he know that the disclaimer stands for zilch.

It's not worth it, so don't do it :Scared:

The tint/dye used for lashes/brows is of a much lower percentage than that of a hair dye. You would never ever use a hair dye on your lashes or brows so they aren't really the same at all. Though of course the theory is the same where we mix the peroxide with the colour and then see a colour change :)

Back on topic, I cannot believe any salon would go ahead and do a tint on anyone without a patch test. It still really grates on me how salons are more worried about turning away a potential client than doing an eyelash/brow tint on somebody without a patch test. Ultimately clients will respect a salon who explains why they need a patch test, quickly does it, and then books them in for the next available slot.

I've been in salons when I first qualified, where I was told by my boss not to worry about a patch test. I was mortified. Then we have the good old boss who tells you to just get the client to sign a disclaimer.....freshly qualified therapist trusts her boss and goes ahead....little does she/he know that the disclaimer stands for zilch.

Its not the volume of peroxide (3%, which hairdressers do use also) thats the problem its the PPDs contained within the eyebrow tint, which is the same as in hair colour.
Either way I dont necessarily think colleges are to blame, most are very strict on skin testing. Mostly lack of judgement on the therapists behalf to tint someone that was honest and said they had already had a reaction. Thats just stupidity from wanting to make a quick buck.

Why was the mother allowing the 13 year old to be tinted though? Come on surely some blame needs to lie with the mother? Knowing she had adverse reactions before as well!!'

Feel so sorry for her!

It's the para dyes in the tint that cause an allergic reaction not the volume strength of the peroxide which is why its reccomended that skin tests are done without even mixing with an oxidant. I was just interested as there are now strict regulations on the sale of all hair colours now wether they are sold in a salon or a chemist OTC product. (totally unpoliceable but all colour products are now labeled saying not to be used on under 16's), I was just surprised it hasn't followed through into the beauty industry. Still hopefully it will make more salons be a bit more careful and encourage them to skin test.

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Why was the mother allowing the 13 year old to be tinted though? Come on surely some blame needs to lie with the mother? Knowing she had adverse reactions before as well!!'

I read the paper about this the other day ... Apparently the mother wasn't there she was having her hair done next door or down the road ... The girl was with her aunty or relative ...
Which makes me ask did she even get parental consent for the tinting to be done ..!!!

Its not the volume of peroxide (3%, which hairdressers do use also) thats the problem its the PPDs contained within the eyebrow tint, which is the same as in hair colour.
Either way I dont necessarily think colleges are to blame, most are very strict on skin testing. Mostly lack of judgement on the therapists behalf to tint someone that was honest and said they had already had a reaction. Thats just stupidity from wanting to make a quick buck.

Colleges in the uk are extremely stringent about patch testing. It's certainly not the colleges that should be blamed. More like people who don't care about H&S and who are out to make a quick buck.

Regardless of if someone told me they had or hadn't had a reaction or if they hadn't or had had an eyelash/ brow tint before in another salon, they would. HAVE to have a tint test in my salon....why??? Well because who knows what products the last salon used.
I don't want any of my clients having a reaction or being blinded. Some people are just selfish.

She is thirteen why was she having an eyelash tint where is the regulation in this industry what about 16 and a patch test . There are so many cowboys in this industry no wonder we are not taken seriously when we say we are Beauty Therapists

As said above why on earth is a 13 year old having this done anyway-shes a child!!!!! And more fool all of them, mother, daughter and beauty therapist all know the risks and all were very ignorant to go ahead with this especially knowing she has reacted previously. All to blame in my opinion.

I get the rolled eyes from clients every time i insist on doing a patch test, they say oh no ive had colour before i'll be fine, i say but have you had the colour i use? no but i'll be fine, me thinking yes until you possibly react and sue my ass!!! Not to mention you could potentially die.

The way of the world now people want what they want regardless of the risks, they need teaching and we all need to stand as one and every single person in the industry needs to be so strict, if one does it they'll think we'll all do it and those of us who don't get stick for it when all we're doing is protecting our clients and ourselves.

Kids need to go back to being kids, I dont think any child under 16 should be allowed to have any form of treatment that is going to alter their looks, I don't want to open a whole can of worms here but they should be kids and not be open to this world of changing our looks. We do our jobs for adults who want to look better or want to feel better or who want to keep them selves up together, all is great and makes us feel great to make our clients feel great, i feel the problem with doing kids under 16 is we are opening them up to insecurities, doing all this so young, they'll go to school, it will become a competition etc and it will turn into the opposite of what we want, we want it to be a joyous experience, not for young girls to come in and feel like they have to have all these different treatments done because all their friends at school are getting it done. Their hair, skin, looks are so young and beautiful why are parents letting them alter this?? I'll never understand this but I feel it is not healthy.

Sorry geeks that turned into a bit of a rant! lol just voicing my opinion I'm sure not all of you will agree but it feels good to voice my concerns :)

So many things wrong with this but seriously, the girl says I have reacted to dyes before!!!! And that still doesn't stop the therapist! Seriously why!!! And then clearly no aftercare given or advise if a reaction happened at home! From the start this was going to end badly!

So happy this is showing awareness - the amount if clients who complain about patch tests - this is why we do them!!

That's horrible, that poor girl! I know that if that happened to me at 13, I would have felt as though it was the end of the world!
Shame on the Therapist for such misconduct. Surely that's 101 for professionals!

Latest posts

Back