Beauty therapy start up

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrea Raynai

GlowbyAndrea
Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Andrea, and I have enrolled onto NVQ Level 2 beauty -(I completed this course back in 2009 but sadly my college did not pass on my qualification to City and Guilds so I never actually got my certificate)

My plan is to complete my qualification and get a Saturday job in a salon to get some practice. I work full time at the moment hence only working Saturday, but my aim is to become fully mobile in the future.

I would appreciate any advice from someone who has already done/started this process.
  • Any other beauty hubs/forums that are popular?
  • Any key start up information?
  • Any tips on applying for a role in a salon?
  • Tips on what brands are best to work with?
  • Tips on marketing your self?
  • Advice on popular beauty treatments?
  • Website advice, how important, how should it look?
  • Ways of getting practice outside the salon (apart from the obvious friends and family)
  • Good books to read?
  • How to keep up with evolving beauty treatments?
  • Where is best to buy stock from?
  • Good insurance providers?
  • How to buy direct from bands? Do you need a minimum order or an account? What's the process?
  • How did you decide what products to work with (was it personal preference, or influenced by marketing)
I have done small bits of research so, I am beginning to understand the basics but though it would be best to ask the professionals (you :)).
I look forward to hearing your responses and thank you for any help.
Andrea :) x

Great questions Andrea and I'm not sure where to start! I qualified back in 1992 so things are very different now. It's all about how you deal with clients in my opinion. Your treatments can be perfect but if you do not have a rapport with the clients, they won't come back. So get as much practise as you can, and as much constructive feedback as you can. Always tailor treatments to your clients' needs.

Re some of your questions, insurance I have is with BATAC but there are others. Product and treatments, just do things gradually. Research what others in your area are doing, read trade magazines, go to shows like Professional Beauty, which can be great. Your website and use of social media will come as your business develops. You don't have to do everything straight away. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising in our business! I do loyalty cards which provide quite a generous scheme. It works brilliantly.

Mobile is tricky. I did it for a while but it can work. Sorry I can't answer everything but I'm sure someone else will come up with other suggestions. Good luck!
KJ

Thank you so much for the information. I really appreciate it x

Great questions Andrea and I'm not sure where to start! I qualified back in 1992 so things are very different now. It's all about how you deal with clients in my opinion. Your treatments can be perfect but if you do not have a rapport with the clients, they won't come back. So get as much practise as you can, and as much constructive feedback as you can. Always tailor treatments to your clients' needs.

Re some of your questions, insurance I have is with BATAC but there are others. Product and treatments, just do things gradually. Research what others in your area are doing, read trade magazines, go to shows like Professional Beauty, which can be great. Your website and use of social media will come as your business develops. You don't have to do everything straight away. Word of mouth is the best form of advertising in our business! I do loyalty cards which provide quite a generous scheme. It works brilliantly.

Mobile is tricky. I did it for a while but it can work. Sorry I can't answer everything but I'm sure someone else will come up with other suggestions. Good luck!
KJ
Search each of your questions individually using the search option here. It's all been covered in detail. Hth.

Hi there good luck with the mobile venture. Please note we offer mobile insurance cover at very competitive prices. You can give us a call on 0344 892 1602 or visit our website www.towergatehealthandbeauty.co.uk to find out more.

Kevan

I am looking at doing something similar to this! I was just wondering how you are doing your nvq around working full time as this is what I'm confused about. I work full time at the moment and really want to do my nvq
Thanks xx

Good afternoon

We hope your business goes well and should you find yourself in need of insurance cover please visit our website www.professionalbeautydirect.co.uk or call us on 08456 058 670 and one of our team will be happy to have a chat with you regarding any insurance queries you may have.

Good luck with everything! :)

Latest posts

Back