Been burgled

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How awful. Re: the bracelet, go round the local pawn shops and ask if anyone has sold a gold charm bracelet. Change locks without landlord knowing, they'll only know if they're going in when you're not there!! Hugs xx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Actually that's an offence in itself, they're somehow (not sure exactly how) to check where they got items from, if a piece of jewellery is actually theirs who pawned it!

Though if the theif had any intellect at all they'd know that actually copper's actually (in the sense of how much you can get for it) is actually more profitable! The costs of copper have soared in recent years.

Why allot of tracks of network rail have been targetted for things like this, stealing metal for scrap, to which the government have supposedly stepped up the bar on pawn brokers (if they find anything thats numbered to the company it was sold to or if they have any suspicions over the person bringing an item to them. They can reject it and start of with the police.

It's all very well said and done but actually in practice is actually pretty hard to do, I mean Network Rail use a particular numbering system for their cables.

Last edited:
Actually that's an offence in itself, they're somehow (not sure exactly how) to check where they got items from, if a piece of jewellery is actually theirs who pawned it!

Though if the theif had any intellect at all they'd know that actually copper's actually (in the sense of how much you can get for it) is actually more profitable! The costs of copper have soared in recent years.

Why allot of tracks of network rail have been targetted for things like this, stealing metal for scrap, to which the government have supposedly stepped up the bar on pawn brokers (if they find anything thats numbered to the company it was sold to or if they have any suspicions over the person bringing an item to them. They can reject it and start of with the police.

It's all very well said and done but actually in practice is actually pretty hard to do, I mean Network Rail use a particular numbering system for their cables.

Do you sometimes find that you tend to veer a little bit off the subject? :wink2:
Just sayin'. :p

Yes I would say around 5% of your post is relevant to the posted subject. Scrap metal? Confused

Well the first people I would be ringing is the police or am I being silly here.Rgardless of if there isn't forced entry you have been burgled non the less .x

Yes I would say around 5% of your post is relevant to the posted subject. Scrap metal? Confused

Come on think about it!

Actually it's entirely relevant (or more than 5% that's for sure), right let me explain this to you.

Gold in the sense that
solid gold charm bracelet
gold is a metal that's what it's classed as in a compound basis to what actually constitutes gold and silver.

I mean who knows what they might be wanting to do with that, it's a fact that pawn brokers (of the original post that I responded to) are meant to legally check to see if they actually are legally allowed possession of an item to be given to a pawn broker.

It isn't exactly hard to understand!

Last edited:
And back to the actual subject. OP this is a horrible situation to find yourself in. I feel very sorry. I would change the locks and yes I would be moving to. I hope you sort it and I would perhaps check the local pawnshops for your bracelet. Some people are just weird and horrid xx

I would be ringing the police

LOL

Ladies!

So after some conversations via email I can either leave on the 11th of December and lose my deposit (my sister thinks she hasn't put it into the government deposit protection scheme which means we can take her to the small claims court) or I can say till my 6 months is up with the 2 month notice and leave in February?
She is now willing to change the locks.
I spent 2 hours looking for a flat yesterday in london and kent but nothing! Nothing at all!

I need to let her know tomorrow if I will stay or not? I have no idea!

LOL

Ladies!

So after some conversations via email I can either leave on the 11th of December and lose my deposit (my sister thinks she hasn't put it into the government deposit protection scheme which means we can take her to the small claims court) or I can say till my 6 months is up with the 2 month notice and leave in February?
She is now willing to change the locks.
I spent 2 hours looking for a flat yesterday in london and kent but nothing! Nothing at all!

I need to let her know tomorrow if I will stay or not? I have no idea!

How much is deposit which you stand to lose?
Can someone put an extra lock on the door for you as well?
I would probably stick it out. As feb is just around the corner!

It's abit weird how a pair of shoes and a bracelet would go missing?
Don't want to make any accusations but it could be your landlady, who would possibly have a copy to the key other than her & even if she does agree to change the locks I'm guessing she would want a key?
If you're taking the matter to small claims court then I would definitely leave, I do understand that she's taking the deposit because its a breach of a contract but at the end of the day the court will understand that you're entitled to getting your money back because its really not safe to live there, and the reason for leaving is basically out of your hands. I don't know how the court system works but whether you do get it back or not I would leave if I was in your situation!
Good luck
Elaine. Xx

Only you can decide ;-) think I would get landlord to change the locks and look at some extra security to make you feel safer. Moving sounds like a headache so close to x mas and added problems and time if you take your landlord to small claims. Good luck

I would get the locks changed yourself, its cheaper than losing your deposit. You cannot say that the landlord isn't the culprit so I wouldn't trust them to change the locks as they may keep a spare key.
I would certainly get out of there as your safety is what's most important and someone has obviously been maybe watching you to know when you are out of the flat. We were burgled a few years ago in a previous house and the worst part was knowing they had probably been watching me to see what time I leave for work as they burgled me not long after I had left the house.
It's an awful situation to be in especially if you live alone.
Definitely get the locks changed yourself asap x

I would get the locks changed yourself, its cheaper than losing your deposit. You cannot say that the landlord isn't the culprit so I wouldn't trust them to change the locks as they may keep a spare key.
I would certainly get out of there as your safety is what's most important and someone has obviously been maybe watching you to know when you are out of the flat. We were burgled a few years ago in a previous house and the worst part was knowing they had probably been watching me to see what time I leave for work as they burgled me not long after I had left the house.
It's an awful situation to be in especially if you live alone.
Definitely get the locks changed yourself asap x

Couldn't agree more. Don't get the landlord to do it. She will have a copy then. You don't want that.

I agree that's why I suggested getting someone else to fit an extra lock for you! Do you even have to tell her?!

Spoken to the agents and basically if i leave i am responsible for the rent/fees late bills etc until a new tenant is found!

SO! New locks on Saturday and I am staying in Croydon till February!
*buys Christmas tree*

Have you got an IT savvy friend (or are you good with computers)?

Long story short - I recently watched a program on what your dogs get up to while you're out all day and decided to try it with our dog. We set up a webcam that takes pictures when it detects movement and e-mails them to a set address. We basically ended up with a lot of pictures of dog jumping on/off the sofa, looking out of the window etc. (no pacing, howling, barking thank goodness!)

But if you found out for certain it was your landlady you'd have your answer.

A less techy option might be to persuade a friend to sit in your place all day very quietly? See if she tries again

Feel for you on this one, it's a rock and a hard place!

Spoken to the agents and basically if i leave i am responsible for the rent/fees late bills etc until a new tenant is found!

SO! New locks on Saturday and I am staying in Croydon till February!
*buys Christmas tree*

Who is doing the new lock? Who will have copies of the keys? Could be a complete waste of time. Tell your landlord that your brother/cousin/friend is setting up a remote hidden camera (even if you dont) hat can be accessed via your phone, like the dog story above. (so no damage to the property) and that it will ease your mind. If she is the thief, she'll think twice about entering again without your permission.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back