Best card machine?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h@httoe14

Reaction score
I've just opened a salon and I'm a little confused to which would be the best card payment reader, that doesn't have high monthly fees! Any advice would be appreciated thank you.

Hi, there's lots of threads on this if you use the search facility. :)

You have to do your sums.

Many geeks on here use machines that run from their mobiles. No monthly cost, no contact but high fees per transaction.

I pay £21 per month rental and fairly low charges on my transactions. Debit cards are about 20p and credit cards are a low percentage. If I did my transactions through Sumup or similar, they would be astronomical.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

I use Intuit Pay from Quickbooks. I paid £49 for the chip & pin reader and it works via bluetooth on my phone. It doesn't cost monthly but has a high transaction rate of 2.75%. However, I only have a small amount of card takings at the moment so works best for me. As Vic said above, you need to look at the maths.

I use Intuit Pay from Quickbooks. I paid £49 for the chip & pin reader and it works via bluetooth on my phone. It doesn't cost monthly but has a high transaction rate of 2.75%. However, I only have a small amount of card takings at the moment so works best for me. As Vic said above, you need to look at the maths.

There you go, that would cost me about £40 per month more than I'm paying now on my average turnover, including rental, so a lot of working out to do!

There you go, that would cost me about £40 per month more than I'm paying now on my average turnover, including rental, so a lot of working out to do!

I've just go the paypal one!! With the one you use is it just a flat rate of the cost no matter what the cost

Do you charge your customers any extra if they pay by card because of the 2.75% transaction rate?

SophistiKated x

Thankyou ladies for your advice, I think I will do my maths as I've only just opened in not sure of the demand to pay by card yet?
I did consider the PayPal machine, or I have seen another one in one of the beauty catalogues, which I imagine works the same way.

Do you charge your customers any extra if they pay by card because of the 2.75% transaction rate?

SophistiKated x

I don't but the lady who runs the corner shop by me charges 50p to use a card, i usually end up paying about £5 a month for card charges so I don't bother charging the customers

Thankyou ladies for your advice, I think I will do my maths as I've only just opened in not sure of the demand to pay by card yet?
I did consider the PayPal machine, or I have seen another one in one of the beauty catalogues, which I imagine works the same way.

Payleven that's called I think, just browse all the main companies and see what works best for you, I'm with card save and pay £15 a month plus about 20p per debit card transaction

Can you pay these monthly fees with portable card readers. ?? I don't want it plugged to my phone line as I'm converting my garage

SophistiKated x

I did initially, I charged 50p towards the cost. However, I wouldn't like to be charged for the convenience of using card so decided to drop it. My card sales have quadrupled since I did so and people add on treatments at the last minute (if there's time) and don't need to worry about how much cash they have. It's a business expense that you have regardless of the method you use. I pay per transaction which suits because I'm still building my business. Vic has a pay monthly with low transaction rate because she is more established, has an employee and I would assume has good retail sales.

It really is down to numbers.

Can you pay these monthly fees with portable card readers. ?? I don't want it plugged to my phone line as I'm converting my garage

You might b better off with the mobile version instead then, mines via Internet connected through my router, the pay leven one is just a hand held device & the PayPal one is, there's no monthly fees for them as far as I'm aware and I think they work through 3g

Latest posts

Back