'Best Friend' Copying My Business :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
My bestfriend has always copied me throughout our 7 year friendship.. It bugged me abit but it was kind of flattering and I didn't mine it.. I started my course in beauty and the next year she decides to become a nail technician. I was fine with this, thought we might even go into business with each at a later date.. But then

Before Christmas I started up my own Mobile Beauty Business as I've always wanted to work for myself. But then my best friend says she was going to do nails from home, which I was pleased about as I wanted her to do well. But I see one of her treatment lists in a local shop window and realised she had copied all my wording for man and peds etc and all my prices. I thought I'd let it go as she'd only just started. I use moonfruit for my website so a few weeks after I thought I'd see if she had to so typed in what I thought would be her site and sure enough it came up.. And she had copied my website design and wording and also my colour theme (Purple and white)

Few months later I decided to change my website and give it a simpler look. Sure enough a few weeks later she had changed hers and when I changed certain prices she would to.. She doesn't no I no her website.

I no its flattering when some one copies you but how much can you take when its your business she's copying? If she'd asked me to help her I would have and have done. But she's copying it all behide my back :S

Have you asked her about this?

Have you asked her about this?
No I haven't :S my mum keeps saying I should but I don't want to make things awkward and make her feel uncomfortable.. I wouldn't no how to go about it seen as she doesn't even no I no her website. I really want her to do well but she could do it off her own back and not use all my stuff I've worked hard to make..

I would approach it something like this:

I notice your website, pricing, etc. is similar to mine. I really want you to be successful in your business. Let me help you come up with a website that is unique to you.

She's probably copying you because your stuff looks great and she isn't as confident as you. I think if you offer to help her find herself, you will both be winners.

HTH and best of luck!

Back