Best Hair Products

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellehayley

Reaction score
I am expanding my beauty and nail salon into hairdressing and am wanting looks of advice about the best products/equipmment.

I know nothing about hair so please help.....:rolleyes:

What range of colours are good?
Perms?
Styling products?

Also has anyone tried the new GHd Spa Hair range? It says its a facial for your hair! I like this concept as I am a beauty salon and thought it would run alongside with that aspect.

Please help

Have you got a hair-messer:) to work for you yet? He/she might have some good ideas or like working with certain products.

Personally from a clients point of view, I would never change from Mastey for Shampoos and conditioning products. All the s'poo's are sulfate free (no soap, they cleanse by addition, see website link.) Any mainstream s'poo's (except Kerastase sensitive) make my scalp flake and itch. I also use their finishing rinse. It's a mega light conditioner that doesn't weigh down my limp hair. Check out the site, the products really are fantastic.

Mastey de Paris | Hair Products, Skin Care Products, Sun Products, Professional Hair and Skin Care

As for styling I love Tigi's Bed Head range. Superstar blow dry lotion gives me mega volume, I also use Headrush shine adrenaline and After party for flyaway and texture.

TIGI UK - Bed Head products

After 30 odd years of fighting with my hair, I can finally do gret things with it.

Personally the way the world is going and to stay ahead of the game, I offer, natural, organic lines..Aveda, Pravana, Loma, pureology ,nioxin
But then I also provide more conditioning lines as in Joico Kpak
One mens line, like Redken for men

Color lines, it is best to see what the stylist like and are familiar with.
Some of the hot names out there are, Redken, Paul Mitchell, Matrix.
HTH's

Personally the way the world is going and to stay ahead of the game, I offer, natural, organic lines..Aveda, Pravana, Loma, pureology ,nioxin

That's what i like about Mastey, very natural products, not packed with nasty ingredients. We have Aveda over here, I've also heard of Nioxin but not the others. Some food for thought here about natural haircare.:green:

Something to consider also, the amount of distributor support and available continued education. There are some fantastic lines with great products who are distributed (at least here) by companies who don't always follow up with the education, even though the product manufacturer has a great technical and product support program.

Go to your suppliers and find out which lines they are promoting, the eduction or reward programs for choosing that line and other salons that are using those products. Then follow up on the referrals, see if the distributors are really following through. Check with the salons to see which lines seem to have the best support.

Our school uses Scruples, L'Oreal professional, MOP (modern organic products), and Therapro. We will most likely be picking up some more of the Therapro line since I have gotten great support direct from the manufacturer. We chose products that our students are familiar with, from a distributor who supports education, and understands the importance of continuing the education since our "staff" is continually rotating.

Sorry before i start,but i do not know how anyone with no knowledge of the profession can run a salon.

My heartfelt advise is find an amazing manager,give them great incentives to remain loyal,and take their lead,otherwise it will be like working blind iykwim :hug:

correct you are becki to an extent.
She already owns a salon that has skin care and nail? care in it..
In my opinion, anyone that has knowledge in these areas would do okay handling the hair part of it also. Might be a bit of a struggle but if she gets knowledgable hair geeks, it shouldn't be too much of a problem.
What gets me is those peeps that have absolutley no knowledge of any part of this industry and want to open a salon..
It would be like me wanting to open a office for Car parts supplier..

I have a very sucessfull beauty salon and I am just wanting to expand. I know a fair amount about hair already but was just wondering about popular products etc. I only really know about ghd or tigi. Thanks to all you Geeks who have given me advise.

I know nothing about hair so please help.....:rolleyes:

Please help

This is why i responded in the way i did,please don't take offence.:hug:

Tbh Jayne i have to disagree,i am a hair and nail geek,all i know is the very basics about skin,no where near enough to think i could run a salon.:lol:

This is meant as a general comment,not aimed at anyone,but tbh i forsee an epedemic of nss in hair and beautysalons,peeps branching out etc as the industry expands,exactly as we have seen as nail technicians :eek:

Sorry before i start,but i do not know how anyone with no knowledge of the profession can run a salon.

My heartfelt advise is find an amazing manager,give them great incentives to remain loyal,and take their lead,otherwise it will be like working blind iykwim :hug:

I agree with you Becki.
An experienced manager/hairdresser is what is needed.

Running a hair salon is NOT the same as running a beauty salon. In fact it is totally different in my opinion.

:hug::hug:xxx

Very interesting views there ladies. No offence taken Becki. Honest. :D

Over here in the states...this is the most common salon around..they call them "Spas"
Where there is a one stop shopping for all your personal cares..Hair, Nails, Pedi,waxing, facials, massage etc.

So I guess I am seeing it totally different from you guys are.

These salons do very well.
The salons that don't do well are the ones where mr joe blow that use to work for a lawn care company decides he wants to make some big money without all the hard labor and buys a salon and lets his wife or daughter manage it and they haven't a clue about the industry except what they get done with their hair, nails and face in the salon they go to.

Ya see, I own a salon as many of you know. I am licensed in hair and nails and skin services although I have never done any type of skin care (massage, facials , waxing) I have a stylist in the salon that does that. She is very sucessful in this. She also is very sucessful in Hair.

So I am not seeing where it would fail as Michelle has a grip and knowledge in the Beauty industry.

Can you explain yourselves a bit more? Why is running a hair salon diff from running a Nail and beauty salon?
(please excuse me if I put "Beauty" Iam referring to the whole of the industry, that is what we call salons that do hair over here is Beauty Salon. I will try for the sake of confusion to keep everyone straight on these terms and call it hairsalons, nail salons and beauty salons. ):D

Well :lol: there are lots of spa's opening in the U.K too,it's where our industry is headed.

However IMO :D although we class our selves as an "industry" on the whole,these are very different professions.

For example,a hair salon couldn't just build a nail bar and the owner expect it to be a success as they know nothing about nails

I am making myself any clearer ?

Ok I'll go to the extreme but,try this analogy,it's like a butcher opening a restaurant,yes the two are connected but being qualified in one doesn't make you in the other.

Sometimes the written word is so difficult to get across :rolleyes: lol

Oh btw,i do think it is the way we are headed,but as i said a very trust worthy,highly qualified hair stylist in the know is essential for it to work IMO :hug:

Ok I'll go to the extreme but,try this analogy,it's like a butcher opening a restaurant,yes the two are connected but being qualified in one doesn't make you in the other.

Oh btw,i do think it is the way we are headed,but as i said a very trust worthy,highly qualified hair stylist in the know is essential for it to work IMO :hug:

Point taken Becki..love the analogy !
:wink2:

Pmsl,cheers :o xx

I have a very sucessfull beauty salon and I am just wanting to expand. I know a fair amount about hair already but was just wondering about popular products etc. I only really know about ghd or tigi. Thanks to all you Geeks who have given me advise.

So Michelle~ What actually do you understand about the hair industry?

This question isn't meant to offend you or put you on the spot, it is for us to understand where you are in knowledge in the hair industry.There are totally diff standards in running a hair salon vs beauty salon.

I think you will be able to merge one into your salon if you have complete knowledge of it and are able to get knowledgeable hair geeks in there to fill in the spots of knowledge where you are guessing.
Ask yourself this: What happens if a hairstylist totally screws up a clients hair with color and doesn't know how to fix it..what are you as the owner going to do about it?
:hug:

It would be like me wanting to open a office for Car parts supplier..

I am going to have to disagree - with a little research I am sure you could run a car parts supplier:):lol::).

On a more serious note i feel you both have valid points. An expirienced manager/manageress for the hair side would enable you to get up running quicker, be able to assess potential staff more objectively, maybe know how to establish discounts from suppliers, know what equipment is vital and what is luxury etc. This all has to be balanced against salary paid and how you perceive each others roles developing.

Its a tricky choice, but i wish you well with it. jo

I am going to have to disagree - with a little research I am sure you could run a car parts supplier:):lol::).

On a more serious note i feel you both have valid points. An expirienced manager/manageress for the hair side would enable you to get up running quicker, be able to assess potential staff more objectively, maybe know how to establish discounts from suppliers, know what equipment is vital and what is luxury etc. This all has to be balanced against salary paid and how you perceive each others roles developing.

Its a tricky choice, but i wish you well with it. jo

More importantly,someone who can deal with technical diasters should they arise which could result in the salon gaining a poor reputation,possibly a law suit

Ok it sounds extreme,but hopefully you get my drift :D

More importantly,someone who can deal with technical diasters should they arise which could result in the salon gaining a poor reputation,possibly a law suit

Ok it sounds extreme,but hopefully you get my drift :D

Ahhh no it isn't extreme..It is reality! It happens all the time and someone has to be accountable for it.

I actually think Im going to rent out space instaed of employing now. If I find someone with an exsiting client base its instant clients to come and have beauty/nails. But Im getting in the products and adding that useage into the rent and contract. I dont want to take someone on who uses odds and ends of any wholesaler products, if u know what I mean. I use all high class products creative, Dermalogica, Jessica etc and want that with the hair. Going to wait until I get that perfect person or persons then I discuss what products she likes as well as what I think will fit well into my salon.

I have space to hold 3 hair stations etc and am wanting to use it at the min its empty. Its was even another beauty room or hair and Im thinking once its busy thats 3 Stylists or 1 therapist, you can guess what I thought 3 stylists 3 times the revenue.

No offense taken to any of your comments its nice to have other peoples opions:)

I actually think Im going to rent out space instaed of employing now. If I find someone with an exsiting client base its instant clients to come and have beauty/nails. But Im getting in the products and adding that useage into the rent and contract. I dont want to take someone on who uses odds and ends of any wholesaler products, if u know what I mean. I use all high class products creative, Dermalogica, Jessica etc and want that with the hair. Going to wait until I get that perfect person or persons then I discuss what products she likes as well as what I think will fit well into my salon.

I have space to hold 3 hair stations etc and am wanting to use it at the min its empty. Its was even another beauty room or hair and Im thinking once its busy thats 3 Stylists or 1 therapist, you can guess what I thought 3 stylists 3 times the revenue.

No offense taken to any of your comments its nice to have other peoples opions:)

By Boothrenting laws here in the states, It is a rule that you must allow the BR's to carry thier own retail. If they chose not to, then you can and give them commission when they sell it for you.
You might want to check the rulings where you are first. :)

I think you have made a better choice to go boothrenter instead of employee. But you still must learn the ins and outs of the hair business so you aren't taken for a ride with a boothrenter. If they catch on that you do not have a clue about the hair industry, they may try and pull a fast one on you.
I have a 7 station BR salon and in the beginning, the BRs tried a few tricks with me. Thankfully I had been BRing for the last 10 years and knew alot more than they did.

Good luck

Latest posts

Back