Best nail polish for manicure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SGordon91

Reaction score
Hi guys. Sorry if I'm double posting but the search seems to break my app for some reason :(

Anyway, I'm wondering what nail polish people would recommend to use on clients ? When I'm just doing nails on myself I rather like Barry M. I've looked at OPI but I would like people's opinions and recommendations on what they've found to be best for manicure/file polish.

Any opinions and recommendations are greatly appreciated

Thanks guys! :)

Hi :)
The Polish's I use most are OPI an Ciate, they are really nice! But the best thing to buy is the top coat, and the best one I've used is Seche Vite, it is amazing! It goes on quite thick but really smooth, bland it like turns to plastic (used a funnel to refill my bottle from a refiller as I rushed out and when I got home I peeled the top coat out the funnel and it was literally like plastic!!) and it dries so quickly and lasts on natural nails so well!

Hope this helps :) x

Hi :)
The Polish's I use most are OPI an Ciate, they are really nice! But the best thing to buy is the top coat, and the best one I've used is Seche Vite, it is amazing! It goes on quite thick but really smooth, bland it like turns to plastic (used a funnel to refill my bottle from a refiller as I rushed out and when I got home I peeled the top coat out the funnel and it was literally like plastic!!) and it dries so quickly and lasts on natural nails so well!

Hope this helps :) x

Hi thanks for that :)!
I've used ciate on my own nails and it lasted for weeks and that was just with a base coat didn't know if it was a good brand to use on clients though or just as a consumer. But it's good to hear that you have positive experience. I do love their colours. Opi seems nice too but I might go with ciate then ^_^

For a top coat for myself I found using Sally Hansen to be never ending. It goes on like a dream and is hard to wear and tear etc. I'll defiantly have a look into the top coat you suggested ^_^ thanks for that! :)

If you are an experienced manicurist then you have to at least try a bottle of CND VINYLUX. A .. Mazing polish.

Great coverage
Completely dry all the way through in 8.5 minutes (hence why you need to be an excellent painter because you need to know how to polish correctly and quickly orbit will be drying while you are applying it!)
There is also a built in base coat so you don't need to apply a separate base.
VINYLUX has a special top coat which gets harder over the life of the manicure and the polish will last up to a week flawlessly with normal wear and tear.

VINYLUX is really special and it's also a really reasonably priced polish so I would recommend that you get a bottle and try it. Once you do you will never want to wait for other polishes to dry again.

Stockist is a Sweet Squareed in the UK and Republic of Ireland and there are distributor partners in Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh. 0131-333-3180) Manchester, and the Midlands. X

If you are an experienced manicurist then you have to at least try a bottle of CND VINYLUX. A .. Mazing polish.

Great coverage
Completely dry all the way through in 8.5 minutes (hence why you need to be an excellent painter because you need to know how to polish correctly and quickly orbit will be drying while you are applying it!)
There is also a built in base coat so you don't need to apply a separate base.
VINYLUX has a special top coat which gets harder over the life of the manicure and the polish will last up to a week flawlessly with normal wear and tear.

VINYLUX is really special and it's also a really reasonably priced polish so I would recommend that you get a bottle and try it. Once you do you will never want to wait for other polishes to dry again.

Stockist is a Sweet Squareed in the UK and Republic of Ireland and there are distributor partners in Scotland (Glasgow and Edinburgh. 0131-333-3180) Manchester, and the Midlands. X

Thanks very much for your advice geeg! It's really appreciated. I'm newly qualified about a month ago and we were not advised on any other systems other than NSI's nail polish and gel nail polish as that's who I trained under which to be fair I did like it however I would like to explore what other nail polish and gel systems are out there. I do practise regularly on friends and I can see myself improving and I'm hoping to continue to do so whilst I train my way through some other courses before I set up my own business. I really just want to get some good products before letting myself loose on paying clients. I have heard a few people talk about about vinylux so I defiantly will check them out! Thanks again 😀

This isn't a sales pitch as I'm not a distributor or benefit in any way whether you buy it or not but I've used quite a few polishes over the years and always tend to go back to OPI. This is an unbiased opinion.

I like the consistency and the brush length and width but it's all personal preference. Try a few out, buy a couple of bottles in different colours and brands and see what you like best. I can't get on with Essie at all but some people love it.

And I'll agree 100% with the Seche Vite top coat, just bought a couple more this morning.

Last edited:
This isn't a sales pitch as I'm not a distributor or benefit in any way whether you buy it or not but I've used quite a few polishes over the years and always tend to go back to OPI. This is an in-biased opinion.

I like the consistency and the brush length and width but it's all personal preference. Try a few out, buy a couple of bottles in different colours and brands and see what you like best. I can't get on with Essie at all but some people love it.

And I'll agree 100% with the Seche Vite top coat, just bought a couple more this morning.

Thanks for that! I do have an essie bottle and found it to be terrible. The application was uneven and didn't go on well. So it looks like I don't get along with it either. I've trained with some colour matrix but they are just terrible.

I think it's my best plan is just to buy a few bottles of each and see what I like the best. Just wanted some opinions and people's experiences cause like I said I qualified using nsi products and whilst they are good I would love to try some others before sticking to one product.

I don't like essie. I love OPI but j have used vinylux and that is great aswell. OPI bring out new colours but they are so similar to other colours i haven't bought any new ones for ages.

Jemima :)

I don't like essie. I love OPI but j have used vinylux and that is great aswell. OPI bring out new colours but they are so similar to other colours i haven't bought any new ones for ages.

Jemima :)

Thanks lovely! Yeah essie was a nightmare and I was so disappointed as it seemed like a lovely dusky lilac colour.

I have a lot of people recommending opi and vinylux so I might buy a few of each and see which one I prefer :)

Thanks lovely! Yeah essie was a nightmare and I was so disappointed as it seemed like a lovely dusky lilac colour.

I have a lot of people recommending opi and vinylux so I might buy a few of each and see which one I prefer :)
Can I say, that if you are wanting a dusky mauve/lilac colour try VINYLUX "Married to the Mauve" it is my favourite colour.

Also for the record ... I have 35 years behind me in this business and a good reputation for honesty and integrity. I don't push products unless I believe in them and frankly, my integrity and 35 years of experience would be at risk, if I did.

If I recommend anything, you can rest assured it is better than good! Good luck in your choice.

Can I say, that if you are wanting a dusky mauve/lilac colour try VINYLUX "Married to the Mauve" it is my favourite colour.

Also for the record ... I have 35 years behind me in this business and a good reputation for honesty and integrity. I don't push products unless I believe in them and frankly, my integrity and 35 years of experience would be at risk, if I did.

If I recommend anything, you can rest assured it is better than good! Good luck in your choice.

I appreciate it geeg :) the more I research the more it seems like vinylux is the best product and I seen they had kits aswell which would be really good for me to offer a good few choices.
As for the colour it was for my friend who wanted a bit of colour but nothing that would stand out at her work but I will defiantly have a look into that colour. With spring and summer fast approaching I know pales and brighter colours are in.

Thanks again geeg. I appreciate your help :) x

Another vote for Vinylux. My OPI's are redundant now. I find the application, dry time and longevity far superior. You have to apply it quickly, though! Definitely worth a try. 😊

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Another vote for Vinylux. My OPI's are redundant now. I find the application, dry time and longevity far superior. You have to apply it quickly, though! Definitely worth a try. 😊

Why do you have to apply it quickly? Wouldn't that make it unsuitable for the less experienced nail tech who can't work so fast?

Love Love Love Vinylux :D Im still training and I have only ever used it on myself but i've never had a polish last this long on my nails.
Ive had it on for 5days with no chipping, the topcoat feels soo strong & the colour hasn't faded atall. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Why do you have to apply it quickly? Wouldn't that make it unsuitable for the less experienced nail tech who can't work so fast?
Yes .. It might!

Of course, it is a professional polish ... A polish that starts to dry almost as soon as you put it on; why do you think it has to be applied rapidly, that is the beauty of it but it does require experience which is why I pointed that out, although clearly some new ones are very good at using it.

But I have to say, I am a bit weary of people like you questioning my integrity because I am associated with a brand as you have done. I do not do sales pitches .. Thank you. I recommend great products even if they are not in association with me. I am a nail technician and educator with 35 years experience and my word is trusted world wide.

Yes .. It might!

Of course, it is a professional polish ... A polish that starts to dry almost as soon as you put it on; why do you think it has to be applied rapidly, that is the beauty of it but it does require experience which is why I pointed that out, although clearly some new ones are very good at using it.

But I have to say, I am a bit weary of people like you questioning my integrity because I am associated with a brand as you have done. I do not do sales pitches .. Thank you. I recommend great products even if they are not in association with me. I am a nail technician and educator with 35 years experience and my word is trusted world wide.

Well I do trust your word geeg I have seen a lot of your posts and you defiantly have the knowledge :)
And I hopefully will be one of the new ones who can become very good at it. Even at that practise makes perfect and I have plenty of nail polish at home to practise with and I can practise and practise and hopefully I'll become good with the product :)

Love Love Love Vinylux :D Im still training and I have only ever used it on myself but i've never had a polish last this long on my nails.
Ive had it on for 5days with no chipping, the topcoat feels soo strong & the colour hasn't faded atall. :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

That is so good to hear :D I use my hands a lot at home and find my nail polish chip a lot and I know a lot of other people do as well so I would want clients (when ever I get round to ones I don't know) would get the most of their nail polish! Thanks for this review ^_^

I'm hoping even though I'm less experienced I have had a good but of practise and I have a lot of polish at home that I could can get more experience and I suppose the only way to know is to try and see how I get on if I'm good enough and if I ain't it will show me I have to practise some more so maybe using it as a learning tool ? :) but even at that I might just be lucky and able to apply it well ( I hope ) :D

I'm more than wiling to give it a try. Hopefully I've had enough practise on my guineapigs to be good enough !

Yes .. It might!

Please point out where I questioned your integrity. I'm confused. I didn't even refer to your post or mention you. Paranoid? I gave an unbiased opinion, which I'm entitled to. I've never slated any products I've never used. Or questioned any one else's opinion. I just asked a genuine question regarding a product I have never used as it is different from others and I wanted more info. I was going to try it myself but since you're jumping down my throat I'll line someone else's pockets instead. And as for the 35 years....I think you've definitely made your point on that one!:biggrin:

At the end of the day, it's nails. Not nuclear physics or life saving surgery. Life is short.

Latest posts

Back