Best route to become a MUA?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emma0489

Reaction score
Hi

I am looking for a career change and I am very much interested in becoming a MUA.

I am looking for some advice on the best route of becoming a qualified one, heard so many stories of "if you do a 3 day course your not actually a qualified make up artist" is this true?

What is the best route to go down for a beginner who wants to break into this industry?

Thanks for any help in advance
X

No matter how many days your course is albeit a day or a year as long as its accredited you are qualified you may not have loads of experience but you certainly are qualified. I have always loved make up, I did a day course with a local salon and I also did a day with a make up artist in a city an hour away from mine. I'm now awaiting the results from my case studies [emoji51] X

It's more about talent and passion when it comes to makeup, than qualifications. But yes a course would be a good start. A lot of the london based schools have connections and can get their students onto jobs. Plus you will be able to get insurance and pro discounts with your qualification.

It's about practise practise practise and building your portfolio. And watch LOADS of youtube as that's really helpful and inspirational.

In theory you could be a mua with no qualification and an awesome portfolio but it can look weak in terms of insurance and having a unique selling point of being qualified.

Lots of courses say they give you a certificate but what you need to do is investigate what that certificate is actually worth. Anyone can give you a certificate of attendance. I wouldn't do a course unless it was awarded by vtct or city and guilds. That way it is valid and recognised for life and nobody can question it because it's worth is clear and universally recognised.

See what your local colleges are offering. It is really fun to get the pleasure of practising on different people each week with the scope for feedback from a tutor. If I had the money I would do another course like this in a heartbeat (i have level 2 but level 3 is on my to do list).

Latest posts

Back