Big benefits row

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was out last night so missed it but my Facebook feed was full of comments about it, most of which were down the 'why are we paying benefits to foreigners, we should only be paying people who were born here' route.

I spend about 80% of my time in my day job investigating benefit fraud and am constantly amazed by the rubbish the tabloids throw out there about immigrants on benefits. In general, benefit rules state that people from outside the EU are not entitled to claim benefits and people from the EU can only claim support when they are economically active, so if they are in low paid work. The sole exception to this rule is for asylum seekers, who are subjected to a different range of tests to determine entitlement.

It is an absolute misconception that there are hundreds of thousands of 'foreigners' here being 'handed everything on a plate' but the ones that are have risked their lives to get their children to a country where they won't be gassed in their sleep or to escape a government that would have them killed for being gay.

It's not a popular opinion but I for one would much rather my taxes supported these people than those who can't be bothered to work, wherever they were born.

I agree Gemster, ive never believed the whole immigrants coming over and stealing our benefits thing.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I thought it was pointless, I was really wanting to ask how people on benefits afford to smoke, drink have piercings and get new tattoos ! I've been on benefits a long while back for a short period of time when my husband and I split up and I know for sure I couldn't have done those things !

This amazes me too, I think people on benefits should be given food vouchers and milk tokens for bambinos. I was unemployed a few years ago, and because I had actually been working but hadn't paid enough national insurance my claim was set back by a good few weeks. I had nothing. And there's people (many who are deserving of it) that haven't worked a day in their life! Signing on every week, I totally lost faith in the system! The amount of people I overheard talking about "leaving the bairns upstairs while the drug dealer came round" was disgusting! It was almost as if they were proud of it!

I claim benefits if that's what you want to call them for my disabled 4yo son but I also work part time while he's at school and my my we struggle it makes me sick how they can go on tv like they do and seem to have everything..

I think the system needs a massive over haul, of course there are people that genuinely need help and that was why it was brought in in the first place, however there are some lazy scum out there that think they have a right to a council property and free handouts. These people stay at home, pro create, knowing our government will pay for them and their 10 kids this cycle should and has to be stopped.

The loop holes are massive, whilst I know the majority of people who claim disability are genuine we now have the "I have a personality disorder so I can't work, I have Fibromyalgia so although I can't prove it I can't work, I have a mysterious back injury" these are all excuses made by scroungers which gives the genuine, poor soles a bad name!!!

I'd give someone my last penny if I thought I could help but I hate takers!

A member of my husbands family has "lazyitis" and simply can't work. It's very debilitating when you can't be arsed to get out of your pit before noon as most jobs start at 9 in the morning.

He has thankfully had massive help from the government. His housing is paid for and he gets a disability allowance for his agoraphobia. How he managed a holiday to Blackpool last year I'll never know but his family are so proud of him! Such a giant leap.

Luckily, he also manages to work part time some afternoons doing gardening and odd jobs which he gets paid cash in hand for so that all helps. Thankfully he is still receiving job seekers allowance. His partner, who pretends to live with her mother, and their 3 kids also get a bundle of benefits which really help them to achieve the £50K+ a year they need to live on without having to go to work.

Long live the benefit system! Hooray!

This has prompted me to think about whether I would ring the benefit cheats anonymous hotline.
Do you know, I bloody well would!

A member of my husbands family has "lazyitis" and simply can't work. It's very debilitating when you can't be arsed to get out of your pit before noon as most jobs start at 9 in the morning.

He has thankfully had massive help from the government. His housing is paid for and he gets a disability allowance for his agoraphobia. How he managed a holiday to Blackpool last year I'll never know but his family are so proud of him! Such a giant leap.

Luckily, he also manages to work part time some afternoons doing gardening and odd jobs which he gets paid cash in hand for so that all helps. Thankfully he is still receiving job seekers allowance. His partner, who pretends to live with her mother, and their 3 kids also get a bundle of benefits which really help them to achieve the £50K+ a year they need to live on without having to go to work.

Long live the benefit system! Hooray!

Wow! That is shocking! Xx

This has prompted me to think about whether I would ring the benefit cheats anonymous hotline.
Do you know, I bloody well would!

Apparently this has been done. Years ago. And then again more recently. Along with the registration number of his big blue van containing all the gardening supplies and tools.

Nothing has changed. Nobody bothered to check it out. Evidence handed to them on a platter. It's quite obvious the kids and partner are living there. Really not too difficult to check out. Should take no more than 10 minutes.

In general, benefit rules state that people from outside the EU are not entitled to claim benefits and people from the EU can only claim support when they are economically active, so if they are in low paid work.
...providing they have paid enough NI which means they have worked for quite a while before, otherwise they don't get anything. But average reader of The Sun doesn't know that and doesn't want to know. I think it's the system that is wrong and has to change, not people claiming benefits - they claim because they can. Also why things are not being reviewed? I worked with someone who got house from the council years ago when they struggled with money, now both parents are in full time employment earning quite good wages, driving nice cars, having nice holidays and their rent is still like £60/week. This is shocking.

Sent from my GT-S7500 using SalonGeek mobile app

Apparently this has been done. Years ago. And then again more recently. Along with the registration number of his big blue van containing all the gardening supplies and tools.

Nothing has changed. Nobody bothered to check it out. Evidence handed to them on a platter. It's quite obvious the kids and partner are living there. Really not too difficult to check out. Should take no more than 10 minutes.

Things like that usually need 3 or so complaints/ reports. Not too stretched out time wise. To be listened to.
I'd keep ringing anonymously. Something will be done eventually.

Laura xx

Circa 60 million in the UK so the stats show, this is without the other 2 million people here that are unaccounted for so the 'professionals' state.... Why do most seek asylum here?...because they can!

Oh hold on.....Mr Pnodjjjjchukmmds fights for a ten bedroom estate in London's Mayfair because he can't live with his 19 children in a smaller 6 bedroom property.....but lets forgive him as he and his 19 children have travelled from the other side of the world as stowaways on the back of some poor unsuspecting lorry driver who has now been fined 10k for each one of them for the privilege - oh and thirteen of his adult children work uninsured for 3.00ph in NSS salons that you all complain about! REALLY..

And as for deportation, once they get caught without a passport here, they are allowed to go but told they have to 'come back in a weeks time' to be deported! Yep ..see you next week ...NOT!

Great Britain?.......just Britain.

Last edited:
Circa 60 million in the UK so the stats show, this is without the other 2 million people here that and are unaccounted for so the 'professionals' state.... Why do most seek asylum here?...because they can!

Oh hold on.....Mr Pnodjjjjchukmmds fights for a ten bedroom estate in London's Mayfair because he can't live with his 19 children in a smaller 6 bedroom property.....but lets forgive him as he and his 19 children have travelled from the other side of the world as stowaways on the back of some poor unsuspecting lorry driver who has now been fined 10k for each one of them for the privilege - oh and thirteen of his adult children work uninsured for 3.00ph in NSS salons that you all complain about! REALLY..

And as for deportation, once they get caught without a passport here, they are allowed to go but told they have to 'come back in a weeks time' to be deported! Yep ..see you next week ...NOT!

Great Britain?.......just Britain.

How about you stop reading the Daily Mail and learn about the subject rather than spouting off their bile?

How about you stop reading the Daily Mail and learn about the subject rather than spouting off their bile?

Clearly you haven't either. But hey you have a problem with my opinion. That's ok too. :lol:

Clearly you haven't either. But hey you have a problem with my opinion. That's ok too. :lol:

I have no problem with people having an opinion, when it's unfounded and based on tacky tabloid journalism, with no experience of the issues that luckily don't affect most of us, I take offence, damn right I do.

Immigrants/foreigners should NEVER get benefits.

There should be no money for having children/child tax credit whatever it is.

They should review benefits more there is someone in my town who has been on benefits for 30 years and never been reviewed?

But I don't really care I actually feel sad that people want to live on benefits. What achievement do they get out of life? Very sad

I have no problem with people having an opinion, when it's unfounded and based on tacky tabloid journalism, with no experience of the issues that luckily don't affect most of us, I take offence, damn right I do.

Please...what are your thoughts on the subject? apart from attacking mine I don't see your contribution anywhere on this thread, I don't make the stats either. I like reading others opinions it makes for a good thread, I'm not attacking anyone personally.

Last edited:
Please...what are your thought? apart from attack mine I don't see your contribution anywhere on this thread, I don't make the stats either.

I haven't attacked you at all. I disagree with your views is all.

I haven't attacked you at all. I disagree with your views is all.

Then there is nothing wrong with that. It would be good to read your views. :biggrin:

I've given my view - it's disagreeing with yours.

Latest posts

Back