BIO NAILS - Extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spakitten

Reaction score
I have just taken a Bio Nails course and have been experimenting on friends and clients. I love the ideal behind bio nails, but I have some problems with them...

Overlays are very successful, but whenever I do enhancements with Tips they seem to break off at the tip. I have also tried with forms, they last a bit longer but still break far more easily than gel/acrylic...

Does anyone know how to porform extensions with either tips or forms so that they will last 3 weeks?

HELP!

Bio Scultpure imo has never really been strong enough over tips. I've been using it oer 3 years and still only sculpt.

I don't have any problem however getting sculpts to last. Are you building a sufficient apex with S-gel for strength? Thats the most common reason for failing sculpts in the system.

Other things to check are, are you stirring your S-gel properly before each set? Are you wiping too much (nail or brush) and leaving damp residue on the nail before the next layer? Are you overlapping your Free gel gel onto the natural nail just slightly? Are your forms fitted well?

Also, I presume your lamp is a new Bio lamp, but if not, then check your bulbs.....a badly cured Bio enhancement doesn't work well either.

Maybe I'm not applying enough sculpting gel over the free edge... how much do you suggest? And would you recomend Free edge gel over the Scuplting gel?

So you build up with your S-gel at the end over the stress points? My boss keeps telling me to just brush a thin coat over the nail... Should I apply it thicker?

Free Edge gel is far better IMO than sculpting gel, and yes you do need to build an apex. I don;t understand why your boss has told you any different for sculpts. With ANY Bio sculpts regardless of gel you alwasy need to build an apex.

Have you not trained with Bio Sculpture then?

Hi Spakitten

I did my Bio training in May, so I am quite new to it. We were taught to follow the following steps to build an enhancement:

1) Base layer of clear over the whole nail. Cure 2 mins.
2) Fit form
3) Offload Free Edge Gel onto form and build up free edge/smile line, ensuring you go at least 2mm onto the nail.
4) Cure 2 mins
5) Apply thin layer of S Gel then apply thicker layer of S Gel to stress area to build apex.
6) Cure 2 mins
7) File and shape enhancement then continue with treatment.

Sculpture gel wasn't mentioned at all - from what I've read in the manual it seems to be good for building up the apex on a natural nail prior to fitting a tip.

We were told on my course that Bio is discouraging the use of tips from now on so it is not covered at all during training now unless you want to do a special course on it.

Incidentally, following the method above all my sculpts have lasted intact for at least 3 weeks so far.

Hope this helps
Helen.

Last edited:
I think Bio are probably discouraging the use of tips as tbh its been a art form in itself to get the wretched things to ever last with Bio! I very occasionally use a CND perfomance tips under Bio for a slight extension, but never on really short nails.

My Sculpts are pretty much the same as your, although i fit the form first and take the clear gel out over the form a bit. I found mine lasted better that way, but its probably horses for courses.

FE gel has pretty much replaced sculpting gel, although yes, it can be quite nice as a base gel if you need something that will grip the natural nail, but you can build with. S-gel can't go on the natural nail and clear is just not great for building! i think it'll be phased out pretty soon.

Bio are also re-formulating the clear gel this year, so it'll be interesting to see what happens with that.

Oops sorry I just noticed that I addressed my last post to you Lyndsay and it should have been to Spakitten! (I've now changed it.) Doh, excuse me, I'm having a bad day!!

Thanks also for the tip about extending clear onto the form, I will give that a whirl.

thanks guys! you've been a huge help. I am ordering Free Edge gel today and switching from Scuplting Gel.

So you say that after building your tip, you apply S-Gel, form the apex, THEN continue with colour/french/etc? Do you apply anything inbetween the S-gel and colour (ie: Royel?).

I wasn't taught this way so maybe thats the issue. I was taugh to do another layer of Royal after forming the tip, then continue with the colour. (No S-gel till the end). And I did go to the proper BioScuplture training. Wierd :irked:

Hi again

You can either use S Gel first, then put your colour layer straight on top (although when sculpting as above, you would wipe the S Gel after building apex and curing and file to make your sculpture a nice shape, then do your colour)

If I was doing an overlay on Natural Nail I would do colour first then S Gel over the top as a strong sealing layer.

I don't know what the Royal is that you refer to - is it a colour?

Helen

Royal Clear gel is what the Canadians call Sealer gel.

Royal/Sealer has no strength at all....it is purely a gloss layer, so can't see why it would go in a sandwich layer. I've used it from time to time to stop a french yellowing instead of clear but never as a strength layer. HTH x

After you have finished with Shaping your sculpted nail I would apply a thin coat of clear gel as it helps the colour and or french to adhere to the nail better so basically just remember that when you have finished your sculpt start your overlay as if from scratch.

Hi are you applying a full tip and blending? if so then do a sandwich layer
clear, s gel, french, clear, s gel and that is the strongest way
good luck

thanks guys! you've been a huge help. I am ordering Free Edge gel today and switching from Scuplting Gel.

So you say that after building your tip, you apply S-Gel, form the apex, THEN continue with colour/french/etc? Do you apply anything inbetween the S-gel and colour (ie: Royel?).

I wasn't taught this way so maybe thats the issue. I was taugh to do another layer of Royal after forming the tip, then continue with the colour. (No S-gel till the end). And I did go to the proper BioScuplture training. Wierd :irked:

I thought you had to be trained in this new FE gel to use it , or am I wrong.:rolleyes:

Different countries, different rules Debbie....

And in the UK you just need to have done the sculpting workshop to be able to purchase it.....I did mine before the release of FE gel but I can still buy it and use it.

Different countries, different rules Debbie....

And in the UK you just need to have done the sculpting workshop to be able to purchase it.....I did mine before the release of FE gel but I can still buy it and use it.

Ok thanks for that, I did phone Bio the other week about the training , but heard nothing back from them when they said someone would call me back.:confused:

Latest posts

Back