Bit confused about college courses, NVQ, etc.

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stephanie13

Reaction score
So iv done hairdressing before but never finished the course (I was 16 and silly) so im starting from scratch I eventually want to be fully trained in beauty therapy and hairdressing.

Sorry if I get confusing now but my local college does the following

Beauty therapy nvq1
Beauty therapy nvq2

Hairdressing nvq 1
Hairdressing nvq 2
Hairdressing nvq3

Hair and beauty nvq 1

So am I right in thinking the best way to do it would be hair and beauty nvq1 (instead of both separately) then beauty nvq2 then would I be fully trained as a beauty therapist? Then do hairdressing level 2 + 3? (Do you have to do level 3 to be qualified I thought when I did it years ago it was only 2 years)

Sorry if im being stupid or majorly confusing just want to make sure im doing it the right away as I dont want to take longer than it could.

Also are things like spray tans eyelash extensions ect included in beauty or would I have to pay to do extra short courses for these type of things?

Thanks in advance! X

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Anyone?? :)

I don't do beauty myself so can't comment on whether doing level 1 hair and beauty I'd better but I done my hairdressing 2 + 3 in college. As far as I know you can be qualified at level 2 but I would strongly recommend to do level 3. Level 2 is very basic so is best to do you level 3, you will notice the difference in your cutting and colouring by doing level 3 for definite. And doing some experience in salons is a great, you will learn a lot more in salon than in college. Hope this has helped, could you possibly talk to someone at the college about you options xx

Thank you I will definitely do level 3 then yeah im going to talk to the college tomorrow so hopefully they will be helpful x

I just went straight onto my nvq level 2 in beauty therapy but I think it's dependant on gcse grades and experience etc. but with having experience in the industry through your hairdressing nvq's you may not need to do level 1.
On my beauty therapy course we did cluster eyelash extensions (like the weekend lashes) but individual lashes are only ever really done by the independent companies. Also at the college I went to, spray tanning wasn't covered until level 3 - seeing as the college you want to go to don't have a level 3 option they may cover it in the level 2. If not, have a look at capital and Sally's (or any other hair and beauty wholesalers near to you) as they quite often do their own courses for things like this for not a lot of money.
Hope that helps you a bit and good luck on your courses :) x

I started level 2 haidressing then went onto beauty level 2 and 3 they didnt have combined courses when i did mine even tho they said they did also they didnt have level 1 which very basic and you would prob go onto a level 2 depending on gcse grades

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ah mayb I wouldn't have to do level 1 at all then ill have to ask them. I dont mind paying for extra courses like lashes ill have to see what exactly is included just realised they do have beauty level 3 so spray tanning will probably be on that one!
Think I definitely need to speak to someone there because I want to do hair and beauty ill be in college for quite a few years so dont want to waste a whole year doing nvq 1 If I dont need to!

Iv already done most of level 1 hair anyway when I was 16 but didnt complete it but I remember it was very basic stuff like just washing hair and mixing dye wich are things I already feel confident in x

Hi Im doing level 2 beauty now.
I've already completed level 2 hairdressing and when I finished I will be going on to do level 3 beauty.

I think it really is personal preference if you want to be level 3 qualified in both departments or if your happy being a senior in one and a junior in the other.

The extra courses my college have done so far are single lashes, ear piercing & roller waxing, nail gel, gel design & spray tanning .
Courses like these are so much cheaper when booked through the college x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks I no they do ear piercing but im already fully trained in all body peircing as that was my previous job but hopefully they do some others I definitely want to do spray tanning and eyelashes and probably nails although im nor sure what type. I no just sound like I want to do everything ha but I kinda do!

Ive enquired about level 3 in hairdressing but you have to be working in hair salon and do the course one day a week

Ive enquired about level 3 in hairdressing but you have to be working in hair salon and do the course one day a week

Oh really? Ill have to see if my college is the same I have no plans to work in a salon so wouldn't be any good for me

Latest posts

Back