Black box dyes and colour removers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Starboltz

Reaction score
Can I ask why a colour remover under heat for 30 minutes, wouldn't even budge black box dye? Even bleach with 30 vol did barely anything!

If there something else going on, such as silicone build up or something? Usually removers work well when I use them

What product did you use?

Can I ask why a colour remover under heat for 30 minutes, wouldn't even budge black box dye? Even bleach with 30 vol did barely anything!

If there something else going on, such as silicone build up or something? Usually removers work well when I use them
How many times has the color been done? I once had a client who had been black box coloring her hair for 3 years on a regular basis and running it through, staining her hair horribly. We tried EVERYTHING to remove the color and it would not budge but her test strand did become gummy and very damaged so we decided to just let it grow out. Bleach will make it harder to remove. I would stick with color removal such as Malibu crystal gel then CPR for a series of times with Olaplex in between rounds

Try and find out what the client has used to colour her hair and also what she's washing it in! If she's used anything like schwarzkopf live xxxl colour or L'Oréal feria they are packed with silicone, and that creates a barrier for the colour remover. Also if she's using tresseme, pantene or any if the dreaded others, they also create barriers due to the high strength silicone. Malibu C colour correction powder I use too, helps remove any surface build up if colour and also helps remove barriers

I use affinage colour stripper, I have just done a client with black box dye.
It took 2 applications and it only lifted to a 4 but put some highlights through,
It's still quite dark but for now at least it's not black
It's such a bugger to get out!!!!

I wouldn't colour on pre box dye hair. As they can have mitalic salts in the hair, causing a reaction to burn the hair. O would get sacked for doing this in my company!!

I wouldn't colour on pre box dye hair. As they can have mitalic salts in the hair, causing a reaction to burn the hair. O would get sacked for doing this in my company!!

I don't think all have metallic salts, you can do an incompatibility test to see if they are present I think?

I don't think all have metallic salts, you can do an incompatibility test to see if they are present I think?
Yeah not all just 70% not worth the risk or damage if you ask me. Clients hair and scalp are far more important.

Yeah not all just 70% not worth the risk or damage if you ask me. Clients hair and scalp are far more important.

There's no risk of harm if you do an incompatibility test though, is there?

I always do a strand test when trying to lift hair, especially if it's been box dyed as dark as black!

If they've been colouring it over and over again then it's game over before you've begun I'm afraid.

Some things are just impossible

This story reminds me of an Asian lady I had for highlights, only to find she didn't tell me about HENNA.

All those overlaps build up and I would strand test to see if she would be viable for further lifting or if her desired shade is impossible.

As Jamie mentioned , remove silicone before applying colour eraser , else you are just wasting product if they've used high silicon products,

I like Affinage Eraser.

Low and slow,

Good luck!

X

Last edited:
There's no risk of harm if you do an incompatibility test though, is there?
No definitely not.. if your clients willing to pay money for a result they will not get, in my experience people who dye there hair with box dyes to start with are not willing to pay the money to have it removed so end up putting a box dye on top of what you already lifted.. unless they have the money then why not!!!!!

Latest posts

Back