Bleach and 50 vol

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope. I was being taught and watched by a colorist with 30 years experience.

Rent a chair.....:(
sorry all you folk who this works well for, but I think it has changed the industry big time.
Traditionally, you worked your way up from 1st year apprentice, through to 3rd, then 1st & second year operator.....5 years in all, before you were considered ready to be called a stylist.
You covered EVERYTHING....setting blow drying, perming, cutting,straightening.....male and female hairdressing.
If you went to college, it was 2 years full time, or 'day release'.
That would be 5 full days, where you would also take art, make up, manicure wig making, and science.

The salon in which you trained had your loyalty.
Once 'on the floor', they would keep an eye on you, continue to nurture you, and what ever your level,you would help each other out.
There would be 'healthy' competition'.....with stylist's trying to 'beat' whoever took the most the week before!
It would also involve praising whoever did the best cut.... colour/perm.....who sold the most....
Every staff member had the opportunity to shine at something.......
There was a sense of belonging, as you were part of a team :D
It sounds magical so nostalgic!!!! I was born 30 years to late! There was someone on my course who didn't even know who vidal sassoon was!!!

My grandmother trained in the 60's. I learned MUCH more in her little home salon than I learned in college. My mom trained in the late 70's, but she never had the passion for it the way my grandmother did. I was doing my mom's global bleach retouches when I was 10. My grandmother taught me to never use anything above 6% on the scalp. She believed in the low and slow method. I honestly can never remember her usung anything above 6% with bleach at all.
She could be considered a pioneer for low and slow!!

I think maybe some rose colored glasses have been put on. The hair was hideous.

No rose tinted glasses.....just happy memories....:)
But I sure could do with them today!

AND....may I say....the hair was not hideous!
Not EVERYONE was 'lighting the touch paper'.......
As stylists, yes, we did 'EXPERIMENT'........ but only on each other....and great fun we had doing it.:p
No one died........That was how we tried out our new ideas....by trial and error, on ourselves!:cool:

Last edited:
I'm new to this all and not long left training but even I know 50 on scalp is a no no

Latest posts

Back